Engine Block Heater Installation - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine Block Heater Installation

Smile Oh look, my left ear just fell off...

More like "Freeze Dried" at that temperature.
    My mother keeps reminding me of the day up north in Timmins
    Ontario when it was -46F and we still went to school.
    The only day we stayed home was when the wind chill hit -60...

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I am still amazed that anything still works at -40C. Garage doors, garbage trucks, cars, people etc. It is just too damn cold to get out of bed. I think they should call them freeze days and you don't have to go to work, but still get paid. Perhaps the Canadian Government will pass a bill.....yeah right. What a dreamer.

Roy

2001 Odyssey EX 161,000 KM (100,000 miles).
    1990 Toyota 4Runner 206,000 KM (127,950 miles). Rust repair in the area of $2600.00 Canadian. Worth every penny. Great truck.
    1992 Giant mountain bike 16,000 KM (9938 miles) as of August 4, 2008.

I understand that the whole interior will get not get warmer any faster than normal, I am talking about the fact that I know at what point on my commute the heater starts to blow warm air out, compared to when I run the block heater (usually when the temp is expected to be under 15F or so). Usually not much of a difference. And it was suggested to me that I plug it in ALL night, as it doesn't have to work so hard warming up the coolant. The difference between that and setting the timer for 3 hours is also nil.

Still worth it.

And as for the seat heaters? Never use them. By the time the seat is starting to warm, I am already comfortable. A piece of sheepskin, or even a towel, is much better in my opinion.

Dry cold

For the benefit of those members in warmer climes, it's a standing joke that when the Prairie folks claim they get cold weather that makes the East seem like Florida, we retort with the dry cold thing. In theory, dry cold does not feel as cold as...what, damp cold I guess.

However, when I visited Edmonton last February (not too far from Regina), it was so cold my hotel room windows were frosted on the inside. The exhaust from the buses created low cumulus clouds of their own. And while walking the few blocks to my office I nearly froze to death in the process, despite the DRY cold. My take is that cold is cold, dry or otherwise, and those Prairie folks get cold that would freeze a witch's brea**!
    2002 Odyssey EX FG
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zymöl wax, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission at 117,000 miles/189,000 km, Amsoil ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, Magnefine aux ATF filter, 16 ATF drain & fills

Thanks for expaining the difference, Dave. I am sure that people in the southern climes have no idea what cold is...dry or damp. Lucky them.

I spent a Christmas out on Vancouver Island about fifteen years ago. It was only about -3...but was foggy and wet. I have never been as cold. The cold just seem to go right through me. At least in Saskatchewan, when it is killer cold (-25C or colder) it is usually sunny and looks warmer than it really is. Can't fool me though, especially when I stick my nose out and it freezes instantly in the 30kph wind.

Ahhhh, spring and the mosquitos are only a few short months away. At least when it is below zero, there are no damn bugs. Too bad the golf courses are not open
    Roy

1990 Toyota 4Runner 206,000 KM (127,950 miles). Rust repair in the area of $2600.00 Canadian. Worth every penny. Great truck.

Mel, how did you get to the front drain bolt? I'm not sure I can even see it. In the right light, I see a hex head to the left and a bit above the front motor mount that might be the drain bolt. But it doesn't look like I can get close to it. And if it is tight, not sure I can remove it.

Use a half inch drive ratchet, with a short extension and the socket (not sure what size, as ours has a block heater screwed into it) and a pipe over the end of the ratchet handle. The bolt will problably be quite tight, but the breaker pipe will give you some great leverage. Once the bolt cracks loose (keep knuckles away from anything they can hit...like your chin) you can reach down in there and turn it out by hand (making sure you have a drain pan underneath to catch the coolant that will pour out).

Hope this helps.
    Roy

Drain bolt size

Nussbaum, the drain bolt is 19mm. Roy is right - it's going to be very tight. I used a 6-point socket to avoid damaging anything. It's located just above and to the left of the front engine mount. Torque the block heater to 44 ft-lb. Good luck!

- Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX FG
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zymöl wax, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission at 117,000 miles/189,000 km, Amsoil ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, Magnefine aux ATF filter, 16 ATF drain & fills

The wife gave me the OK to work on the '01EX today, so I attempted to install OEM ATF cooler, OEM fog lights and block heater.

The first two went without a hitch but the block heater was a pain in the a$$. I couldn't get the 19mm darin bolt off, after many attempts with long 1/2 drive torque wrench. I'm not powerful by any means, but I'm also not a weakling. A not for others attempting this: it's messy and you that 19mm bolt MAYBE the death of you. If I was to do this again the first thing I would do is try to loosen that 19mm bolt. You may save yourself a lot of trouble - especially, unnecessarily draining your coolent.

Good news is that I have a new 24mm socket (yes, the replacement bolt is diff size than org) and have the block htr wires routed. I'll have to wait until Monday to take the van into Honda to flush coolant and have them remove the 19mm bolt.

IMHO some things are better left for others to do, especially the messy ones...

Number one. The coolant will come out of the hole once the bolt is removed.

Number two. The bolt is very tight and will come out with a 19mm socket (most everyone will have this, fairly common size).

Number three. Use a breaker or cheater bar and socket/socket handle to break this bolt loose. It will be very tight (as in transmissin filler plug) but will come loose with a few tugs at it.

Number four. Save yourself a ton of money by not attending Honda service bay. These guys will charge you an arm and a leg to remove this bolt and do a simple installation of a block heater.

Number five. Routing the power cord is the simple part. Good luck in doing it yourself!
    Roy

Where can I get a engine block heater for my 2003? I looked on HandA and didn't see one.
    2003 Odyssey EX Leather
    Honda Tow Package
    Honda ATF Cooler w/ Magnefine Fltr
    Honda PS Cooler w/ Magnefine Fltr
    Silverstar Ultra 9003
    Monroe Reflex and AirLift 1000
    2003 Toyota Camry XLE

Yikes, Genuine Honda Parts - Discount OEM Honda Auto Parts says it has been discontinued and is no longer available for purchase. My Ody may not need it, but I use it continually from early fall until late spring. If my block heater were to give out, I would not be happy to cold-start the engine.
    2002 Odyssey EX FG

14. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements