Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Where to get duplicate Keys made.

42K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Erkdajerk 
#1 ·
DO you have to go to the Dealer for those coded keys or are ther eplaces that can make them. Is the dealer shpeel a bunch of hooey or is it real?

#2 ·
It depends. Do you want to just open the doors, or do you want to start the engine?

As I understand it, Honda uses a facility they call the "Immobilizer." This uses a keyed transponder in the head of the key that interacts with the control module; no transponder, no start!

I told my salesman that I wanted a couple of extra keys when I picked up the Ody. He had them waiting for me when I came to pickup my license plates. (He didn't ask me to pay for them and I didn't offer.)

If you just want to be able to open the doors, you can get a key made anywhere.

Mel

#4 ·
I know that I can do the MDX immobilizer keys for $25 each, I'm reasonably sure the Ody is the same price. I just need one of the original keys sent to me, even a valet, so that I can get the info from the chip. We have a machine that cost about $2000 that can read and duplicate the chips without the vehicle present.

#5 ·
Re: Duplicate Keys
I have seem "immobiliser" key blanks on EBAY for about $25.00. Having them cut is easy, but, I need help to program the cars electronics to accept the new key.

Does anyone have a source for this? (The programming instructions)

I have seen the programming procedure for the remote fob on this site, but not the immobiliser key.

I have only one key for my car and fear a real expensive repair if it gets lost.

Please, Ken

#6 ·
You can't just program the immobilizer keychip that's in the key in the same way you program the remote lock/unlock feature to work with a specific transmitter. To program an immobilizer key requires a working key to copy the chip information from, and a machine to do the copying.

I can get duplicate keys cut and programmed for $25 total, including everything, at my local dealer.

(Keyless entry transmitters are only $64: http://www.keylessride.com/order/options.asp?make=Honda&remoteyear=2002&model=Odyssey+EX Or check Ebay.)

#8 ·
adam1991 said:
You can't just program the immobilizer keychip that's in the key in the same way you program the remote lock/unlock feature to work with a specific transmitter. To program an immobilizer key requires a working key to copy the chip information from, and a machine to do the copying.

I can get duplicate keys cut and programmed for $25 total, including everything, at my local dealer.

I heard or read somewhere - don"t remember where, that you need to "program the car to accept the immobiliser key". Not "program the key to a code". (I believe some makes are the other way). Also that the car has capacity to accept only two, maybe three keys max. The limit on the number of keys suggests the "program the car to the key" scenario makes sense, (pause for reflection) I think, (pause for further reflection).
Just guessing.

Does the dealer make and program a new key without the car?

Does the dealer use only the key number?

Great Club.
Thanx Ken

#9 ·
Let's straighten some things out. I think you're confused between the keyless entry remote and the immobilizer system. They are completely separate systems.

The EX keyless remote system operates in much the same way as any Honda. Each remote has its own serial number or code, which is transmitted with the lock/unlock command. The car itself must be told which remote serial numbers to pay attention to. There is a small procedure to tell the car to work with any given remote; the car's remote entry system can keep track of up to 4 different remote transmitters.

So you have to program the car to recognize the remote. This has NOTHING to do with the key or the immobilizer system.

The immobilizer system is quite simple: the key has a chip in it, which reacts to electronics in the ignition system. The ignition system queries the key; if the key has the appropriate matching code in it, the ignition system tells the car's computer that it's OK to turn on the ignition circuit--allowing the car to start and run.

The immobilizer system doesn't use a mechanism like the keyless entry system to tell the car to pay attention to any random key's chip. I think this is a *good* thing, for the sake of security. Instead, to make a fully functional duplicate key you have to take an original, fully functional key to the dealer. He will cut the key AND will use a special tool to transfer the existing key's immmobilizer chip characteristics into the new key's chip.

I know this for a fact; I have 5 keys for my car. I paid $25 for each of the three extra keys. And, I *watched* the entire process, and asked questions.

There was a bunch of confusion on this board a year or so ago about how the immobilizer system worked. One guy claimed that his dealer had to go to the van and do something with it for about 20 minutes to change the van's immobilizer computer to match the new keys he was having made. Well, it turns out he told only half the story; he didn't have a fully functional key to start with, so to make fully functional keys the dealer had to go back to square 1 with respect to programming the immobilizer computer for a certain key, like what happens in the factory, and then duping that key using the normal field techniques.

So you don't "program the car to recognize an immobilizer key". You simply transfer an existing key's chip characteristics to a new key, using a special tool at your Honda dealer. You DO, however, program the car's remote entry system to recognize a remote transmitter, and you can do that for a maximum of 4 transmitters.

The key code, by the way, has nothing to do with the immobilizer. The key code spells out only the cut of the key's teeth.

#11 ·
The dealer is the most likely source for making "security" keys. As noted above, there is a special programmer required to set up the keys - cost about $2,000.

A friend is a locksmith and to make duplicate keys for all the brands out there, he has to buy the programming machine for each auto manufacturer and a minimum number of key blanks for stock. So he spends the $2K and about $10 per key blank. If he does them for $50/ea he's gotta sell at least 40 keys to make his money back on the machine alone. Needless to say, he's decided to avoid that part of the business.

#13 ·
This is common key technology and locksmiths do not need a machine for each manufacture. Good locksmiths have the equipment and blanks and can duplicate these keys. They do need an existing key to copy. They may or may not be cheaper then a dealer.

#16 ·
A reasonably-sized locksmith business will probably have the equipment and the blanks to do the job. Smaller operations won't because of the investment/return ratio on the special equipment needed. Call around. You'll probably find some that can do it. As to whether you'll save anything.....well that's a question you'll need to ask.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.