PS3 or Xbox capability?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PS3 or Xbox capability?

PS3 or Xbox capability?

I tried to hook up my PS3 in the back row to the DVD screen (2011 Touring), but no picture. The manual says nothing about video games even for the Ultrawide split screen.
    If thats the case why do they offer the red, white and yellow video jacks in the back row?

Appreciate your input.
    P.M.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Game consoles should work fine, just be sure you switch the input to AUX Video. It's even easier if you have a Touring or above since they have an HDMI input.
    Cheers,
    KohyutA

2013 EX-L w/RES
    2003 Civic Hybrid

it should work and it doesn't care what you plug in back there, game console, bd player, video camera........

as kohyuta mentioned, just make sure you've got the correct source selected and that the physical connection's good.

Originally posted by kohyuta
    Game consoles should work fine, just be sure you switch the input to AUX Video. It's even easier if you have a Touring or above since they have an HDMI input.
    Only touring elite in usa has hdmi, touring has composite inputs.
    2011 Odyssey Touring Black/Gray
    2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE V8
    2001 Audi S8

There is no way the plug in the car will run an Xbox or PS3. I think the outlet is only rated for 100W or so. These gaming consoles are over that.

BTW, you know that the white and red plugs are for audio, and the yellow is video. Your post made me think that you thought they were the red, green, yellow HD video plugs.
    '10 Silver EXL - R&N
    '02 Subaru WRX Wagon WRB
    '01 GG LX - Traded with bad tranny

Originally posted by DavidGSR
    There is no way the plug in the car will run an Xbox or PS3. I think the outlet is only rated for 100W or so. These gaming consoles are over that.

BTW, you know that the white and red plugs are for audio, and the yellow is video. Your post made me think that you thought they were the red, green, yellow HD video plugs.
    Run an extension cord out to your van to plug the console in with, then you can rule that out as the issue.
    2011 Odyssey Touring Black/Gray
    2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE V8
    2001 Audi S8

davidGSR has a good point, you'll need to get an inverter with high enough wattage (probably at least 250W) to run either a PS3 or Xbox360. The Wii will run off of the built-in plug fine.
    Cheers,
    KohyutA

2013 EX-L w/RES
    2003 Civic Hybrid

Hmm. Didn't think of power consumption. I guess that's important.

Sounds like a No on gaming. I guess that applys to the Touring Elite ultrawide screen.
    Thanks for your input.
    P.M.

Is there a separate fuse for that outlet back there? If indeed the PS3 pulls too much power you might want to check that.

Originally posted by kohyuta
    davidGSR has a good point, you'll need to get an inverter with high enough wattage (probably at least 250W) to run either a PS3 or Xbox360. The Wii will run off of the built-in plug fine.
    I've never thought about power consumption either, but my kids have used their PS and Xbox360 in our van (and in my Pilot) without blowing any fuses, or using the old inverter we had from the 2003 Ody.
    2014 Civic Si - Crystal Black Pearl
    2012 Pilot EXL-RES - Polished Metal
    2009 Odyssey EXL-RES Bali Blue
    2011 Mazda3i Touring Crystal White Pearl
    Other Recent Rides:
    2005 Mazda RX8 GT Velocity Red
    2008 Pilot EXL-RES Formal Black
    2003 Odyssey EXL-RES Redrock Pearl
    2004 Mazda 6S Lapis Blue
    2002 Accord EXL Black

I know someone who went on a road trip with his 2006 EX-L, and setup his Xbox 360 for his kids. He spent about $100 for a pure sine wave inverter, plugged it into the 12V in the cargo area, and the Xbox into the inverter. The only thing to remember is to have the engine running while playing, as the console is a bigger drain than headlights on a car battery.

EDit: You could also spend $40 for a non pure sine wave inverter, but it may do long-term damage to the power supply. If the built-in inverter is 100W, its possible its just enough, but may overheat after a while.
    Last edited by kohyuta; 01-05-2011 at 04:45 PM.
    Cheers,
    KohyutA

2013 EX-L w/RES
    2003 Civic Hybrid

The Plug at the back on the third row says it is rated for 150W. I think the 360 is 185W and the PS3 is about 250+ Watts.
    2009 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI to 2011 Honday Odyssey Touring Elite in Crystal Black/Truffle. Sigh.. what I do for my kids...

Based on what drool6 said, the newest versions of all the consoles should work. According to this article , the Wii uses 14W, PS3 85W, & Xbox360 88W.

Older versions of the PS3 & Xbox360 used 2x as much.
    Cheers,
    KohyutA

2013 EX-L w/RES
    2003 Civic Hybrid

I've considered putting an XBOX 360 in the Ody also, but where is a good place to mount it? I had a PS2 in our previous vehicle, an ML350; there was a perfect place in the armrest recess in the back seat seatback.

I'd like to find a cozy place to tuck the 360 and still have it accessible.

What I don't understand is why the HDMI port and the rest of the ports (AC, AV) are on opposite sides of the van!

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements