Elite RES Screen Resolution
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Elite RES Screen Resolution

Elite RES Screen Resolution

Owner of a 2002 EXL, getting ready to trade for either a Touring or Touring Elite.

I'm wondeing what the screen resolution specs are for the RES in the Elite. With the HDMI input, one would hope that it would offer something higher than say, 640 x 480.

And with a single image, is the viewing area going to be bigger than the 'standard' RES (guess that's really a question of the height dimension of the 16.2" wide screen)?

Would have been nice if they'd given the Elite a Blu Ray player instead of DVD...more from a media flexibility standpoint than from resolution standpoint (given limited screen size and viewing distance), but also becasue they do provide 5.1 sound on the Elite....

MKS
    MKS

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Here you go,

Honda DVD Ultrawide Rear Entertainment System (RES) with HDMI Port (Odyssey Touring Elite)

Adding to the features of the Odyssey Touring, a state-of-the-art, factory-integrated Rear Entertainment System (RES) with an ultrawide display is standard on the Odyssey Touring Elite model. At 16.2 inches wide, the RES screen is the largest ever offered in a Honda. The WVGA display natively provides 1,600 pixels horizontally and 480 pixels vertically (approximately 6.8 times the resolution of the standard display on the Odyssey Touring). User-selectable aspect ratios include normal (640x480), full (850x480), super full (1,300x480), ultra full (1,600x480), super zoom (1,300x640) and ultra zoom (1600x640).

Honda Media. 2011 Honda Odyssey: Interior

- 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/RES (theirs)
    - Red Radio Flyer Tricycle (theirs)
    - Red Cars Theme Scooter, retractable (theirs)
    - Fisher-Price Jumperoo (SOLD)
    - My other people mover w/5MT (theirs)

Save the Manual Transmissions!

Thanks for that, BB.
    MKS

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoat View Post
    Here you go,

Honda DVD Ultrawide Rear Entertainment System (RES) with HDMI Port (Odyssey Touring Elite)

Adding to the features of the Odyssey Touring, a state-of-the-art, factory-integrated Rear Entertainment System (RES) with an ultrawide display is standard on the Odyssey Touring Elite model. At 16.2 inches wide, the RES screen is the largest ever offered in a Honda. The WVGA display natively provides 1,600 pixels horizontally and 480 pixels vertically (approximately 6.8 times the resolution of the standard display on the Odyssey Touring). User-selectable aspect ratios include normal (640x480), full (850x480), super full (1,300x480), ultra full (1,600x480), super zoom (1,300x640) and ultra zoom (1600x640).

Honda Media. 2011 Honda Odyssey: Interior
    I've been trying to find the vertical resolution on the none widescreen RES, does anyone know?

thanks

Page that the link BB provided goes to, says 234 pixels vertical on the non-widescreen RES.
    MKS

Quote Originally Posted by mlstaggs View Post
    Page that the link BB provided goes to, says 234 pixels vertical on the non-widescreen RES.
    I'm sorry, i know i said resolution, what i meant is the height in inches of the screen. The one we have in our Elite seems fairly short in my opinion.

That was part of my origiaaml post/question too. I'd hope height of RES Elite screen a bit greater than non Elite.
    MKS

That was part of my origiaaml post/question too. I'd hope height of RES Elite screen a bit greater than non Elite.
    when the wife gets home with the van, i'll measure it and post here.

Okay the width is 15.5 inches and the height is just under 4.75 inches. This is the viewable area, not including the plastic trim.

Thanks Phil. Not much room there for a screen to drop down and not obscure drivrer's rear view mirror line of sight, but sounds kind of puny doesn't it. I'm guessing that's about the same size as the non-Elite.

Don't know why they didn't put a blu ray player in the Elite. For purpsoses of media flexibility, and as Elite has 5.1 sound, for sound reasons as well. Not much point of course in blu ray 1080p resolution on a screen like that...

As an aside, not sure why this topic was moved to an accessory forum, as we're talking about something pertaining to a specific model...not an aftemarket product conversation. Might get more traction back on the 2011+ forum...
    MKS

Quote Originally Posted by PhilZJ View Post
    Okay the width is 15.5 inches and the height is just under 4.75 inches. This is the viewable area, not including the plastic trim.
    Thanks Phil. Not much room there for a screen to drop down and not obscure drivrer's rear view mirror line of sight, but sounds kind of puny doesn't it. I'm guessing that's about the same size as the non-Elite.
    Informal 2011 Non-Elite RES screen (including the plastic trim): 9.5in*5.1in so I assume it is pretty much the same height as the Elite one. The LCD screen diagonal size is around 8.3in

My guess is that both screens have the same height for safety reasons so to avoid obstructing the rear view mirror visibility . Given that, I believe the only cool option for the Elite RES turns out to be the 2 screens side by side.

- 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/RES (theirs)
    - Red Radio Flyer Tricycle (theirs)
    - Red Cars Theme Scooter, retractable (theirs)
    - Fisher-Price Jumperoo (SOLD)
    - My other people mover w/5MT (theirs)

Save the Manual Transmissions!

Actually, I would have liked to see the hdmi or other inputs not in the 3rd row. I'd like very much to have the wife output from our iPad to the RES without having 6miles of cables running through the van.

As far as the visibility obstruction, at the height it is now, there's barely any obstruction that I notice, so in my opinion it could be another 0.5-1'inch taller without problem. Also the screen color quality I find a bit sub-par, perhaps I've become too accustomed to the iPad's display.

14. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements