Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Aftermarket radio with factory RES in 2005-2007 EX-L?

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  MicaX27 
#1 ·
We've been looking for a 2005-2007 EX-L with RES & NAV, but since we're in a rural area 3+ hours from a major city, we're never fast enough when there's a good deal on one. I've noticed that EX-Ls with RES but no NAV don't sell quite as fast, but I really want the front touchscreen with SiriusXM and backup camera. So I was wondering about the possibility of installing an aftermarket double DIN unit with all the features we want.

Question: Will an aftermarket head unit work with the factory RES? Has anyone tried this?

I know the DVD player itself is separate from the radio but it's my understanding that the RES is connected to the radio, so it's possible to change channels, volume, etc. from the rear seats. Can the factory RES be hooked up to an aftermarket radio? If yes, how complicated is that? Is it something the average car audio installer would be able to do or would it require Honda-specific parts/expertise?

If we lose the ability to control the radio from the rear seats, that would be disappointing but we could deal as long as it's still possible to watch movies on the RES with audio coming from the vehicle speakers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.