can the dvd/res play files like divx, avi etc
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can the dvd/res play files like divx, avi etc

can the dvd/res play files like divx, avi etc

Hey all,
    I have several movies that I have ripped to avi and divx. Do I need to put them into the DVD format prior to playing them on the RES? Hopefully the DVD player in the van can recognize other formats but I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

First post!! Yea

BTW, I have an 08 EX-L/RES

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Re: can the dvd/res play files like divx, avi etc

Originally posted by tomthebomb
    Hey all,
    I have several movies that I have ripped to avi and divx. Do I need to put them into the DVD format prior to playing them on the RES? Hopefully the DVD player in the van can recognize other formats but I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

First post!! Yea

BTW, I have an 08 EX-L/RES
    Try it and see, and then let us know~
    2014 Odyssey Touring
    VMI Wheelchair Conversion
    Alabaster Silver Metallic

2008 Odyssey Touring
    Metallic Mocha
    VMI Wheelchair Conversion

if it does not play

try downloanding a program call convertxdvd this will convert those file format to a format that could be play on any dvd player

I think it's just a regular DVD player and only play DVD movie and MP3.

...but try it and let us know that it can play AVI or DiVx file format.
    - 2013 Honda Odyssey TE Smoky Topaz/Truffle
    - 2010 Honda Freed E Navi Sport Alabaster Silver Metallic -- SOLD
    - 2008 Honda CRV EXL 2WD Glacier Blue Metallic/Gray -- SOLD
    - 2006 Honda Odyssey EXL NAV&RES Slate Green Metallic/Olive -- SOLD
    - 1998 Honda Accord EXL V6 Heather Mist Metallic -- R.I.P

Originally posted by huy30
    I think it's just a regular DVD player and only play DVD movie and MP3.
    MP3 ?? It would totally rock if my 06 will play MP3's on the RES DVD player.. I will give that a shot...

So I did test various encoding types and it seems that the standard DVD is what will play in that system. No problem though as I was easily able to convert the files to the .vob format that needed for DVD players.
    On a similar note, I did notice that mp3 is listed as a player type of file on the DVD. Given that, I have to assume that we can load the crap out of a DVD full of mp3's and play it through the RES. I will be trying that tonight.

Stay tuned,
    TtheB

I tried to play MP3 CD yesterday, and it did not work.
    - 2013 Honda Odyssey TE Smoky Topaz/Truffle
    - 2010 Honda Freed E Navi Sport Alabaster Silver Metallic -- SOLD
    - 2008 Honda CRV EXL 2WD Glacier Blue Metallic/Gray -- SOLD
    - 2006 Honda Odyssey EXL NAV&RES Slate Green Metallic/Olive -- SOLD
    - 1998 Honda Accord EXL V6 Heather Mist Metallic -- R.I.P

I wanted to follow up on this thread. Is it confirmed that .vob files (standard DVD) are the only ones that play from the factory RES dvd player?

Thanks,
    Rich

Here's a thought. If you have a lot of those Divx, XVid, Mpeg4, and other movie formats and you want to play them on your Ody's RES system. There are many sellers on eBay who sells the hard drive enclosures with remote. Most has composite cable (the regular RCA Yellow, Red, and while) outputs. But some would have the capability of S-video, components, and/or HDMI cables. You only need the composites for the Video/Audio input. All you have to do is insert whatever hard drive you have to it and copy all your movies into it through USB, e-SATA, or firewire. These enclosures will play most popular formats. Good luck everyone.

Searching on fleabay for Hdd media player found a few.

The only question I have is if the unit is plugged in, will it play the sound through the headphones if I am listening to another input?

Oh, the other question is how to get the IR pointed at the device if its is sitting where the RCA ports are in the back seat?

Originally posted by RichTJ99
    Searching on fleabay for Hdd media player found a few.

The only question I have is if the unit is plugged in, will it play the sound through the headphones if I am listening to another input?

Oh, the other question is how to get the IR pointed at the device if its is sitting where the RCA ports are in the back seat?

I got curious after you asked your question, so I tried it out. I connected my media player to the AV inputs and yes, the audio do play out of the headphones.

In regards to the IR remote, I guess you can do one of two things. Either leave the enclosure in the back, but visible from the front, so that the IR remote can have a line of sight to the device. This way you can point your remote to the back to change movies. Or you can use a really long composite wires and place the device in the front, somewhere on the center console. The wiring can always go under the molding and carpeting. Either way, you need to watch the RES monitor in order to choose the movies you want to play, so it's a bit difficult to do this from the driver seat.

I'm not sure if one exists, but perhaps you may be able to find one that uses RF remote instead of IR.

I found this while I was searching for a way to be able to play video on the Navigation monitor.

http://www.avelectronic.com/NavigationVid-Switcher.html

I guess, with this particular device, it will be able to provide additional video and audio inputs to the Navi and the RES. But this is a bit pricey. Supposedly, this device is approximately $550. But with this, you can plug in the media enclosure device to the front Navigation system and choose the movies you want to play in the RES.

Good luck and let us know which one you went with. Perhaps, once you have it installed, you can provide some pictures on how you did the wiring or the mounting.
    Last edited by Mossman; 06-20-2009 at 03:57 AM.

Originally posted by itr0754
    MP3 ?? It would totally rock if my 06 will play MP3's on the RES DVD player.. I will give that a shot...
    You can convert those MP3s into DVD Audio format and burn them to a DVD and play them through the RES. My PC's soundcard came with software to do it, but I think Roxio /Sonic software can also. I believe you even use dual-layer dvds.

If you have an MP3 player, you could probably get the adapter from radio shack that would convert a regular headphone jacks to composite audio jacks. That way you won't even need to do any conversion or waste any blank DVD's or CD's. Just a though. They usually go for about 6' in length so that should be sufficient to reach the driver seat from the inputs in the 3rd row. Good luck.

aus
    Mine doesn't even like burned DVD's, let alone Divx.

Originally posted by aus
    Mine doesn't even like burned DVD's, let alone Divx.
    Aus, you have the factory DVD player, correct? I have been playing burned DVD's in mine ever since I got it. NON-Divx, just burned. What software and media are you using to burn? I haven't heard of anyone having problems watching burned DVDs in their Ody before.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements