Alpine HU / Flexvision DVD 98% Installed!!
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Alpine HU / Flexvision DVD 98% Installed!!

Updated 7/9/2002 -- MANY great and annotated photos below in this thread detailing factory bracket modifications for custom flush mounting in-dash head unit and in-dash dvd player.

LONG POST --- but might be helpful to those considering mounting your own head unit. FLUSH mount pic you want to see is in the third post below.

Finally got my head unit and in-dash dvd player installed over the Independence holiday. See pic below and a couple of other pics in the next two posts. I'm not sure how to put two or more pics in same post so if someone knows how, please fill me in.

The install is only at 98% as I still have to fashion the textured abs plastic trim around the top/sides of the Alpine head unit and make the final +12V connection rather than my temporary connection over at the passenger fuse box.

My main pride and joy was being able to mount the head unit further back (about 1/2" and at an angle such that the face of the head unit is flush with the surrounding dash and dvd player and in the same plane. The Alpine units of today are slanted and like most other radios would stick out a good 1/2" or more if mounted per the instructions (i.e. the easy way).

Install comments on the Honda in general: I don't trust using the sleeves when they are only mounted to some flimsy plastic which is clipped into the dash. I prefer using the factory brackets. However, a lot of time was spent modifying the factory brackets to accomodate 1) the Alpine head unit and dvd player and 2) to move the head unit back and at an angle.

Modifiactions Required

BRACKET MODS -- None of the holes in the head unit or dvd player matched up to the factory bracket so here is what I had to do: Each bracket recieved the following modifications: 1) drill two holes to mount head unit, 2) drill one hole to mount dvd player, 3) slot the two existing holes used to mount to dash which enabled me to raise the brackets within the dash, 4) file down the little bump outs to about half thickness (see head unit mods below), and 5) file the upper corner of each bracket to allow each to be raised within the dash without cutting the upper dash plastic.

HEADUNIT MODS -- Since no holes in head unit lined up to factory brackets you have to either put additional holes or slot existing holes in the factory brackets (see above). The only modification to the Alpine head unit I made was to drill a small indention into each side so the little bump out on each factory bracket would stick into my new made indention to help prevent rotation of the head unit. This allows you to not rely totally on the two screws per side that hold the bracket to the head unit for rotation prevention. It is hard to picture but once you see how the factory brackets attach to the factory head unit you will see what I mean.

DVD PLAYER MODS -- No modications to the dvd player were needed other than using a longer screw (10x32 x 3/4") on each side to reach the threads on the side of the player. You may have noted I only used one screw per side to hold the DVD player to the brackets. I used a strap in the back to tie the rear of the two head units together. So basically, the dvd player is attached at three points, which is secure.

DASH MODS -- The Audiovox/Flexvision dvd player is a full size DIN unit which means you will have to trim the inside dash a little if you want it to fit flush or slightly behind the center dash panel. I used a coping saw to trim about 1/8" off the inside dash trim on the two sides and the bottom so the face of the DVD player could be recessed into the dash further to provide the flush look. There is enough trim left after cutting so the two clips on the bottom of the center dash panel still have something to grab hold of.

These mods took me the better part of two days but I feel it was worth it to obtain the flush look. I don't know if a local shop would have done the flush install of both the head unit and dvd player without going to an hourly rate of $30 by lots of hours.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rlpenny; 07-09-2002 at 05:11 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Both this shot and the one above show the head unit/dvd player straight on and the gap I'll have to cover with textured plastic. In normal lighting you can't see the tan plastic behind the dash on the right side of dvd player. Only the camera flash enabled me to see it.
    Last edited by rlpenny; 07-09-2002 at 03:11 PM.

THIS (the flushness of both units) is what I was after and doubted any shop would have been able to do at a "reasonable" fee. I guess after THIS (head units) it is on to THOS. Actually, the ICON 9 inch wide screen is probably next in line, then the amp, then speakers, and then a power inverter.

Hope this all helps someone out there.

Note: I've adjusted the levels in this pic so you can see the shadow detail of the head units.
    Last edited by rlpenny; 07-09-2002 at 03:15 PM.

hip
    Say R,
    You better slow down or you'll run out of stuff to work on, besides I'm feeling queasy reading all this.

Is it possible for you to remove the black dash trim cover and shoot a photo of your DIN slot trimming work or are the Alpine and Flexvision units in the way?

Very nice work, surprised you didn't go with an indash Video/Navi install?
    =Hy=

Pics to come

Yea, I'll slow down a little. Gonna go out to CA in the Fremont area to to a quick mini-vacation this Fri thru Wed. Will try to get some photo's out before then.

I was going to pull the radios out one more time to put some lock-tite on the threads that hold the brackets to the two din units. I'll also show the minor trimming required for the dvd player. In retrospect, if one gets an in-dash dvd player that has a removable trim ring around it (like most tuners) then no dash trimming should be required. Metra makes a dash kit for double-stacking two Din sized units. Using the metra kit means you would not use the trim rings that come with the two head units. It was the full DIN size of the Flexvision (i.e. Audiovox) dvd player that gave me trouble. The sides of the Flexvision unit are only trim pieces that do come off to make the unit 1" narrower (like 6" rather than the full 7") but it was not a width problem I had to deal with. The height of the unit is what required the trimming.

In short, I like the Flexvision unit for its OEM look but it would be easier to install a smaller faceplate version in combination with a typical radio such as the Alpine units and use the metra double-stack kit. Even then though, I'd still use the factory brackets to secure the two units rather than use the sleeves.

I plan on taking pics of the brackets and I'll mark the pics up showing where I slotted, enlarges, extra holes, etc. I'll also show the minor trim work. I'll probably wait until I get back from CA to finish the textured trim piece to fill the gaps.

Whew...glad I type fast. The above only took five or so minutes to punch out.

On the in-dash video/navi...I though about it...but did not like the idea of the screen blocking the A/C controls. Also, I know myself and I might try to sneek a peek at the non-navi movies playing on that little screen...while driving...not good.
    Last edited by rlpenny; 07-10-2002 at 01:52 AM.

Thumbs up

Lookin' good Robert!
    Quick question though: any interfenence with the motorized faceplate function or swing down for removal with the head unit recessed like that? Just curious. My Pana protrudes a little more than I like, but I need the space so the faceplate can swing down.
    Anyhow, looks like you are well on your way!
    Keep it up!
    -SJ
    -Shin John
    '01 DEP EX
    My Odyclub Picture Galleries

No faceplate swingout problems

No problems experienced with the operation of the faceplate swinging out. On this alpine unit the face plate seems to be pushed out a ways and then it does its rotate thing. From memory I'm going to say that if the faceplate did not get pushed out first that I would have a little space problem, especially since the head unit is at an angle (back of cd player is high and front is pointing down) relative to the orientation of the dvd unit. The front of the Alpine unit is practically sitting on the dvd player save for about a small air gap to prevent rattles while the back of the Alpine is sitting approx. an inch above the dvd player.

I plan on posting some pics tonight of the combo unit I've created and of the brackets showing how I sloted/enlarged/shaved, etc the brackets and dash.

P.S ShinJohn, I'll be in the Fremont area from Friday pm till Wed am. A relative will be driving us around from upwards to Pioneer to Calavares to half moon bay to monterey. Not sure how much free time we'll have as it sounds like my relative has a plan all mapped out for us.
    Last edited by rlpenny; 07-08-2002 at 10:37 PM.

Just wondering if you can still use the volume controls on your steering wheel column. Or did you ever have that?

GT
    2002 Redrock Pearl Honda Odyssey EX-L

After attending my first NorCal Ody Meet, I realize I have a long way to go before I can say my Ody has been modded ... in fact, it's practically NAKED in comparison! Thanks alot guys! (Dunno if that's good or bad yet!)

Re: No faceplate swingout problems

Originally posted by rlpenny

P.S ShinJohn, I'll be in the Fremont area from Friday pm till Wed am. A relative will be driving us around from upwards to Pioneer to Calavares to half moon bay to monterey. Not sure how much free time we'll have as it sounds like my relative has a plan all mapped out for us.
    Sounds like a neat trip. Drop me an email or PM, who knows, if you have some time, maybe we could hook up for a coffee or something. Ever have pearl milk tea? (aka boba, aka bubble tea, aka tapioca milk tea) If not, you gotta try it when you are out here. A little something transplanted from Taiwan that is all the rage here in CA..... I'm definitely an addict!
    -Shin John
    '01 DEP EX
    My Odyclub Picture Galleries

Originally posted by GreenTiger
    Just wondering if you can still use the volume controls on your steering wheel column. Or did you ever have that?

GT
    I plan on using the PAC SWI-X to regain the steering audio controls. Will post result when it is up and running. I foresee it not being tackled for a couple of weeks.
    Last edited by rlpenny; 07-09-2002 at 05:15 PM.

Originally posted by hip
    Say R,
    ...Is it possible for you to remove the black dash trim cover and shoot a photo of your DIN slot trimming work...?
    =Hy=
    Consider it done HIP. But, be forewarned as I've yet again put out another long post---sorry. Let me know if you get queasy again. I'm glad I did these pics as I finally after several years had a need and figured out how to put text and lines into a drawing using Adobe Photoshop. I know: there are easier programs to use, but it came with a scanner many moons ago and I'm using it off and on with Adobe Premier and a Pinnacle 500+ to make videos on cd-r which play on dvd players.

A set of swiss files will be your best friend during a project like this. A drill press would not hurt either. I could not figure out a use for my table saw--hmmm, maybe next time.

Pic below -- Shows where I trimmed dash. I tried the dremel tool but he just melted stuff. I then used coping saw with quick and accurate results.

Pic below -- You can just make out top of upper factory mounting hole in bracket and easily see most of lower factory mounting hole.

Pic below -- I used a file to slim down sides of bracket and a swiss file set to enlarge the holes. It took so long on this project because I wanted to "sneek" up on the right size and locations of my modications. In the end, I ended up using a hacksaw to slot the bottom mounting hole. I kept enlarging the bottom hole until it became obvious I needed to slot it. You don't want to see the extra holes and markings on the left bracket as it was the prototype. The right bracket (shown) only had one mistake (i.e. extra hole).

Pic below -- Notice two machine screws securing Alpine (top) to bracket. I was not comfortable with the mount as the screws are very close together and don't offer the resistance to head unit rotation I wanted so I decided to utilize the little bump on the inside of each bracket to aid in securing the head unit and to help prevent rotation. Also, the holes in the bracket are larger in diameter than the bolts so under pressure the head unit tended to rotate. Finally, the Alpine did not rotate any when I finally put a small hole in the side of the head unit to accept the factory bumpout (see other pic). Early in the project, I had started to file off the little bump but stopped in time to still use them (one per bracket). Don't laugh...but I held the cd player in the air and drilled straight up so any metal shavings would fall down. It seemed to work...for now The drill bit did punch through and touched some part(s) inside the unit...oooops. I pulled cover off of Alpine and he was fine...whew. Again, try to use a drill stop if you undertake this step.

Pic below -- With the dash trimmed on the bottom and sides of the lower unit (dvd player) I was able to slide both players as a unit into the dash even though it was a tight squeeze to get the rear of these units into the dash, since the butt of the Alpine kinda sticks in the air. Once the rear was pushed into the dash the combined units slid in easily. Prior to my trimming the dash, however, I was unable to slide in the players as a fully integrated unit and had to leave the back strap unsecured which allowed the dvd player to rotate up thus requiring less height in the dash opening. Once I got the units into position I then would have to reach underneath, rotate the dvd player back down and secure the strap to get the faceplates of the two units back into the same plane. This was a real pain. Thus, I highly recommend trimming the lower portion of the dash opening which will give you an extra 1/8 inch of height to put both the cd and dvd players into the dash as an integrated and secured unit. NOTE: If you don't need to install the cd-tuner at an angle you should have planty of height in the dash opening to install a double-stack unit. It was only because of my desire to have that Alpine faceplate sit flush with the dash that caused me to install the Alpine at an odd angle and recessed to begin with.

Hope these pics help someone out in the future.
    Last edited by rlpenny; 07-09-2002 at 11:27 AM.

hip
    Robert,

First, I want to say that is has to be one of the most extensive and best illustrated instructional posts I've seen since Nestor ripped apart his dash to do the Navi install!

Next, I'm sure I speak for most when I say your talents as a machinist leave a lot to be desired, but the end results are what really count. Thank goodness for trim plates, they sure do hide a multitude of sins. (I hope no one opens up the inside of my dash some day)

I've noticed most LCD displays may not always be viewable from certain angles. By taking out the upward tilt of the display, installing the unit flush, have you made it more difficult to view it under certain lighting coniditions? Is this display LED or LCD?

BTW, was expecting only one or two pix with the units already mounted. Didn't think you would rip it all out again to take pix! Great Job. Beyond all that the big question is, how did you get more than one photo in a post?

Originally posted by hip
    Robert,
    ...I've noticed most LCD displays may not always be viewable from certain angles. By taking out the upward tilt of the display, installing the unit flush, have you made it more difficult to view it under certain lighting coniditions? Is this display LED or LCD?

BTW, was expecting only one or two pix with the units already mounted. Didn't think you would rip it all out again to take pix! Great Job. Beyond all that the big question is, how did you get more than one photo in a post?
    Thanks for the compliments HIP.

It seems the display on the Alpine 7894 is LED in brightness but LCD in appearance. The display text for the most part is various shades of blue and blends nicely with the black face and green buttons (can be switched to amber). On this cd player, viewing angles would not be a problem even if I had not mounted it flush and tilted. The Alpine does has a feature where you can have it automatically tilt up into one of three different postions when you turn the unit on but in the Odyssey that feature is worthless since the radio is so high and tilted up to begin with. This feature would have been nice in my old 82 Supra and many other cars where the radio is low and not angled up much, if at all.

No problem on ripping it out again since it can be taken in and out as a unit and I have not put the lower trim back on (still waiting on speakers and my installing the amp and all those other wires to come). I also wanted to put locktite on the threads and did want to take pics for others but did not take time during the install to take before/after pics. This install was 30 minutes here, cook hot dogs there, watch new kid over there, work on van for 20 minutes here, watch fireworks, work on van, etc, etc. over the past July 4 holiday. So if you can secure an uninterrupted block of time it should only take several hours.

As far as the machinist aspect...yep...I'd have a hard time putting food on the table primarily due to my slowness and I'm sure my visible work, if used on aircraft, certainly would not instill confidence in the flying public.

I want to also thank ShinJohn and others (I forget) for the ideas on running one large cable from the battery to a distribution block inside van. Based on previous pics I was able to run that big 4ga cable and loom in a matter of 20 or so minutes. Just have to cut it and mount the distribution block tonight. Then it will be easy to run the two 10-ga cables to my amp and future cable to inverter or whatever else needs power.

Ok...my trick for the multiple pics per post. I hate to admit it but I actually read the Forum rules down at the bottom of the screen. Click on the link "vB code" and look under the section "Adding Images". You just put [img][/img] tags around the link to your pictures. The pics are not on the forum but out on my web site. I just have links to the pics in my post and each is surrouned by the [img][/img] tags. You'd be amazed at what you find in Help files.
    Last edited by rlpenny; 07-09-2002 at 05:27 PM.

15. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements