Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Odyssey over Routan when looking used

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  davedrivesody 
#1 ·
We had an Element SC we loved, but got totaled. We knew we had outgrown the Element, so I decided to take the settlement and find a replacement minivan. We look at Odysseys and Routans, and really liked the Routan better. But, upon taking delivery, the electrical system of the Routan went nuts. I told the salesman to tear up my check and went and bought an 08 Odyssey. We're stoked.

#2 ·
Good plan. You'd expect what's essentially a rebadged upscale Town & Country to be safe from the German electrical gremlins. Probably a curse of the badge.

Congrats! Pics please, even though we've seen hundreds of them.

#3 ·
No the problems of the Town & Country / Caravan are inherent to the Routan as well. What's interesting is that the only thing that was changed was the suspension and brakes. However, despite the brake upgrade, the inherent flaws in the system still cause premature brake wear in the rear.

#6 ·
No, they stopped production in 2012, although a lot of new 2012 models were sold through 2013-2014. It handled nicely - hey, you can use the word handled in the same sentence as Minivan when referring to the Routan! I like the way the Odyssey drives just fine, but it won't call it handling. Still, we had a possessed electrical system years ago in a Ford Windbreaker, as we called it, and weren't about to relive that nightmare.

#8 ·
IMHO it's the most attractive minivan ever produced, but I'm a little biased towards German wagons to begin with (which this is a variant of, in a sense). However, we were so soured on our VW experiences over the past 15 years, we refused to advertise for them any more...even if it's not even a real VW.

I also liked the interior much better than the Chrysler twins and the Uconnect system is pretty solid. At the end of the day, we really wanted something new and it came down to Odyssey vs T&C and my participation on this forum should tell you who won ;)

#9 ·
VW's are high maintenance cars anyway. Breed a VW with a T&C and you get double trouble, as the OP discovered.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.