Ivory leather turning blue!
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ivory leather turning blue!

Ivory leather turning blue!

I have searched for something equivalent to this but have had negative results.

Now, I have an 08 ody EX-L RES and I have the ivory leather. The van only has 5,023 miles on it today and my front seats are constantly getting a blue fade on them. I realize it's from blue jeans but none of the other car's I have owned with tan seats have done this. It's not a matter of luxury since my 03 lincoln ls and my late lexus IS300 both had tan leather. I have tried all of the "best" cleaners including the poor boys, lexol, and even the honda stuff. I will spend a couple hours cleaning and conditioning but then literally 5 days later which equates to maybe 30 mies of driving, seats are blue again. I don't have a local honda dealer since I'm on an island so I called honda corporate. They said take it to the dealer, that was as much as they cared. Anyone know what can be done to help this from happening or is this a very common thing from a honda?
    2008 ODY EX-L RES

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

hmm that's interesting.. my olive leather does not have a hint of blue even after 5 years.

have you tried leatherique?

Its the dye transfer you speak of, here is how I deal with this. I try cleaning it with woolite 10:1 distilled water, using a super soft brush I massage, notice I did not say scrub the woolite. Allow it to dwell (don't allow to dry out) and then wipe, if you don't get ANY removal you may have to try some All Purpose Cleaner, but this can damage your top coated leather!!!

the Leatherique is good, it called Pristine Clean no need to use oil part of the twins. YOu can also look into LeatherMasters cleaner strong. If the woolite does not work pristine usually will, sometimes the dye is deep.

I suggest you get seat covers, as living in AK and owning a car with light colored leather is a bad combo.

Cheers,
    GREG
    Utah Professional Detailer.
    www.reflections-detailing.com

One duPonts Recommended Detailers for the USA
    http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/...Detailers.aspx

Thanks for the reply's. I may have been slightly unclear as to what I'm having a problem with. I am able to get all of the blue out of the seats with both the honda and the lexol cleaners. The problem is that within just a few days the blue starts to seep back into the seats. Forgive me for thinking this but for a vehicle with a sticker price of $36,000 you would think that I wouldn't have to adjust my wardrobe or get seat covers. After all I did pay the money to get leather. If this is a limited issue and not a lot of other people are having the problem then I will contact honda and escalate my concerns.
    2008 ODY EX-L RES

Originally posted by coastiekyle

I suppose I'm pretty much on my own in getting a real answer or hearing from someone with a relative experience on this topic. ..........
    If your your user name hints to your occupation/career you may have a problem that no one else here has experienced.

I have to go back about 40 years but if you are in the Coast Guard(coastie) and it is standard issue dungarees that are causing the blue stain you may be unique.

From what I remember, standard issue dungarees would bleed blue dye for months. If you get wet or you sweat with those on you will get dye transfer. I don't know if that is still the case but if they still have buttons and not zippers on the fly then they probably haven't changed anything else, including the blue dye for the dungarees.
    '08 EX-L

Moxie,

Your right about the career but the uniform has changed quite a bit, and this is my wife's daily driver not mine In any case the new uniform is nothing close to the old dungarees they used to wear. Thanks for the idea though I appreciate it very much!
    2008 ODY EX-L RES

lets get back to talking about the ivory leather turning blue...

+1.
    08 EX-L Odyssey Baltic Blue (SOLD at 12750 Miles 14 months $23250 2/13/2010)

I'll talk about my issue with the seats turning blue. I noticed our seats having a blue tint after the first 1,000 miles. Took it to the dealer and they thought I was an a$$ bringing it to them for such a problem. They cleaned the seats with soap and water and gave it back. I just clean it myself now, but I've never had "leather" seats do this before.

I saw a used 2010 EX-L on the lot when I bought my 2010. It had 5000 miles on the odometer. It had gray leather that was very noticably stained blue. I had never seen leather seats stained like this. I felt sure it was from blue jeans. I was suprised that the dealer had not made some effort to clean the leather before putting it on the lot.

My 2010 with gray leather now has 3000 miles on it. I wear blue jeans regularly and there is no hint of blue stain. I hope it stays that way. There must be some tie to how new the jeans are or the brand.

I'm surprised I am not the only one with this problem. My 2010 EX-L with the tan/beige leather has a hint of blue. My wife was the one who pointed it out to me. car has only 2500 miles. Why couldn't Honda offer a darker leather interior with the white exterior?
    2010 Odyssey EXL

Originally posted by onebadassdx
    I'm surprised I am not the only one with this problem. My 2010 EX-L with the tan/beige leather has a hint of blue. My wife was the one who pointed it out to me. car has only 2500 miles. Why couldn't Honda offer a darker leather interior with the white exterior?
    I love the white exterior but could not handle the light color leather.

My color choice wa limited. I would have loved the dark interior but i woulda been stuck with purple or the ocean mist blue or whatever its called but my sister already has that one.
    2010 Odyssey EXL

Originally posted by onebadassdx
    My color choice wa limited. I would have loved the dark interior but i woulda been stuck with purple or the ocean mist blue or whatever its called but my sister already has that one.
    We have the polished metal exterior with the gray leather interior. I really am happy with the whole package. But my preference would be White with some dark leather.

It has been a great van so far. I hope it keeps doing well. So many posts of problems on this website have me concerned about the long term. However, many families in my community have Ody with up to 200,000 miles with no problems other than routine maintenance.

I do not care for the blue (whatever it is called) either.

Originally posted by Ridgerunner30
    ***snip*** So many posts of problems on this website have me concerned about the long term. However, many families in my community have Ody with up to 200,000 miles with no problems other than routine maintenance.

Remember that people come here to get help with problems. So 80% of posts having problems doesn't mean that 80% of all Ody's have problems.
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil Ea15KO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission at 121,000 miles/195,000 km, Amsoil ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, Magnefine aux ATF filter, 16 ATF drain & fills

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements