Changing Spark Plugs: Rocket Science?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing Spark Plugs: Rocket Science?

Changing Spark Plugs: Rocket Science?

My wife hates that expression: rocket science.

Our 2000 Odyssey is due for the 105k mile service, a part of which is to replace the spark plugs. A Honda dealer wants to charge $230 for that portion of the service package. Aren't OEM plugs about $20 each? So 6 plugs is about $120. It's should be an easy DIY task, right? Am I missing something?

p.s. Where can I find the correct torque to apply to the plugs?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I changed the plugs in our '01. Not too hard. If memory serves you remove the plastic cover and that gives access to each coil pack / plug. the ones in the back were a bit harder due to access, but with various socket extensions, none were impossible. Regarding the torque - don't have the value off hand. Maybe there is a post in the maintenance section with that. I know it wasn't very much.
    '10 Silver EXL - R&N
    '02 Subaru WRX Wagon WRB
    '01 GG LX - Traded with bad tranny

Buy them on line e.g. from Amazon and you will be paying less than $10 each. The torque is usually around 15 ft-lb. Generally, you follow the direction on the package where it tells you to tighten 1/4 turn after it sits. Don't use big ratchet and try to put your hand near the pivot point so that you will not apply too much torque.

And definitely use the OEM plugs either Laser Platinum or Laser Iridium made by NGK or Denso.

cnn

Re: Changing Spark Plugs: Rocket Science?

Originally posted by oc92037
    ...p.s. Where can I find the correct torque to apply to the plugs?

Thanks.
    I wrote this DIY a while back. Everything is in that thread:

NGK Stock Spark PLug at 65K miles:

NGK Stock Spark PLug at 65K miles
    cnn: 2007 Odyssey LX

Heh, this was an easy decision to make. After looking over the posts, opening the hood and TRYING to locate the spark plugs (I could only feel the rear coil assembies), I was pretty much convinced to have the dealer change them. Since they have been installed since I bought the van 90K and 9 years ago, the chances of them being hard to remove is very high. SO Dealer it is! I will post what the cost was...

Heh, this was an easy decision to make. After looking over the posts, opening the hood and TRYING to locate the spark plugs (I could only feel the rear coil assemblies), I was pretty much convinced to have the dealer change them. Since they have been installed since I bought the van 90K and 9 years ago, the chances of them being hard to remove is very high. SO Dealer it is! I will post what the cost was...

Quote Originally Posted by johnpombrio View Post
    Heh, this was an easy decision to make. After looking over the posts, opening the hood and TRYING to locate the spark plugs (I could only feel the rear coil assemblies), I was pretty much convinced to have the dealer change them. Since they have been installed since I bought the van 90K and 9 years ago, the chances of them being hard to remove is very high. SO Dealer it is! I will post what the cost was...
    $260 before taxes at the dealer. They are using Honda platinum spark plugs.

Let me assure you that honda does not own a spark plug factory. the sales wing of honda rebadges some manufactures plugs that are close to spec and most importantly cheap!.
    2008 Ody -w/58k - Purchased 2012 -Family scoot
    2007 Camry - Ride to work in winter
    2005 Yahama Fz1 - Fun - Track / Touring speed fix

Mods
    RES DIY
    http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-200...-me-08-ex.html

WOW, I just changed the plugs today and paid around $40 and 45 min!!! It's super easy actually, with the right tool needed.

Rocket Science? More like remedial HS auto shop class level work. Ever had a look at the average dealer auto tech? Are you really intimidated that they are capable of things you aren't?
    2012 EX (hers) 03 LX (reserve force)
    2013 Chevy Cruze Eco (stick!) commuting average 40mpg

Gone:Caddy CTS (neutered, aka auto trans), Jetta 1.8T (stick!),95 & 02 Saturn SL (stick!)

Apparently it's not common knowledge, but spark plugs need to be changed when the engine is COLD. My co-worker had a good laugh at me when I told him my troubles getting the plugs to come out in a Miata when I just drove home from Pepboys with the plugs. The threads risk crossing when the engine block is hot due to metal expansion. Once the engine cooled down, the plugs came out no problem.

I just changed the plugs on my 05. used laser iridium from NGK, which is what was in there from the fatory. $60 incl shipping from Rock Auto, and exactly 60 Minutes time from hood open to hood closed. I used a 3/8 ratchet with a 4 in. extention, and a universal/swivel. Spark plugs take a 5/8 spark plug socket. ...and yes, best to do it with the engine cold.
    Mike Mahoney

South Portland ME...
    2005 Ody 115,000 Mi, 2000 Camry 115,000 Mi, 1998 Forrester 164,000 Mi, 1971 Olds Cutlass 207,000 Mi... 100,000Mi = just broken in

Can't be harder than a damn Chrysler Voyager. I hate doing tune-up's on those.

Of course it ain't as easy as my BMW either... a 20 minute job easy.
    Matt in VA- BMWCCA 418835
    2003 Odyssey EX-L (w/ full service history)
    1988 4/87 528e 5 speed swapped (mine)
    1985 10/84 528e 5 speed factory (hers)

I am on a budget and want to do a tune up. Is it neccassary to replace the coil packs or can I just do the spark plugs? And is NGK the only ones recomended?

No need to replace the coil packs if they are working okay.

However, NGK Iridium is the best plug for this engine. They are available online for a good price compared with over-the-counter.
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission at 117,000 miles/189,000 km, Amsoil ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, Magnefine aux ATF filter, 16 ATF drain & fills

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements