Transmission Drain and Fill Picture - Page 3
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Transmission Drain and Fill Picture

Most of the fluid in a tranmission is in the torque converter. A drain and fill replaces about 30% of the original fluid. The next drain and fill replaces about 20% of the original fluid. It is a matter of diminishing returns.

A better approach is to have a complete fluid exchange. A vaccum is applied to the transmission cooling outlet line to remove all of the fluid, including the fluid in the torque converter. The return line is used to replace the fluid. Any competent tranmission shop can provide this service at a reasonable cost.

Considering the cost of a transmission rebuild or replacement, a cooler is a great investment. An aftermarket cooler mounted in series downstream of the stock cooler is a cost effective approach. One temperature excursion can fry burn the fluid, and burnt fluid definitely leads to serious problems.

Bruce Huddleston
    2001 Odyssey
    1997 XK-8

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Originally posted by endrust
    Most of the fluid in a tranmission is in the torque converter. A drain and fill replaces about 30% of the original fluid. The next drain and fill replaces about 20% of the original fluid. It is a matter of diminishing returns.

A better approach is to have a complete fluid exchange. A vaccum is applied to the transmission cooling outlet line to remove all of the fluid, including the fluid in the torque converter. The return line is used to replace the fluid. Any competent tranmission shop can provide this service at a reasonable cost.

Considering the cost of a transmission rebuild or replacement, a cooler is a great investment. An aftermarket cooler mounted in series downstream of the stock cooler is a cost effective approach. One temperature excursion can fry burn the fluid, and burnt fluid definitely leads to serious problems.

Bruce Huddleston
    2001 Odyssey
    1997 XK-8
    When one has this fluid exchange, one MUST be sure to determine whether the proper Honda fluid is used. Unless the work is done by a Honda dealer, the equipment will have been used for other types of fluid and may contain a residual amount of the other fluid, which should not be introduced into the Honda transmission. Buyer beware! Worse case, you may run into a quick-lube guy like the one in our town, who told me he used Dexron in all of them, "Cause it didn't matter." He did not do work on my van.

Jerry O.
    UFCW Retired
    UNION, YES!!!
    (The labor movement, the folks who brought you the weekend)

2006 Ocean Mist Metallic EX-M(Mouse fur) + WeatherTech cargo mat, Mr. Grille, Dashhugger dashcover, ScanGauge, Garmin GPS, Acura MDX wheels, 245/50-18 Yokohama ADVAN S.4 tires and AirLifts. Also, a few "faux" items, such as "dual" exhaust outlets, smoked plexiglass foglight hole fillers, and miscellaneous homegrown ground effects items, topped off by an "R" next to the "Odyssey" on the rear liftgate.

Bad experience with flushing here.

In addition to the risk of non-Honda fluid, if you read around you'll find that some people think the flush machine can dislodge stuff (e.g., by reverse flow or stronger flow) and cause problems. Kind of like stirring up the mud at the bottom of a pond, clouds the water.

I can't prove anything in particular, but ended up with a bad transmission after a flush. Won't do it, or allow it to be done, again.

Originally posted by pa0101
    Bad experience with flushing here.

In addition to the risk of non-Honda fluid, if you read around you'll find that some people think the flush machine can dislodge stuff (e.g., by reverse flow or stronger flow) and cause problems. Kind of like stirring up the mud at the bottom of a pond, clouds the water.

I can't prove anything in particular, but ended up with a bad transmission after a flush. Won't do it, or allow it to be done, again.
    thanks for the input I recently just had a fluid replaced in my tranny just drain and fill costs only 40 bucks for the job.

I am for flushing vs drain and fill but it must be done properly meaning DIY or the dealer never at quickie oil change place or chain tire center etc.

Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar

Drain versus Flush

Obviously there are the advocates for drain and fill and then there are those that are for flush and fill procedure for transmission fluid maintnenance. I personally am going to stick with the recommendations from my owner's manual, my Honda service advisor, and Honda corporate which is to drain and fill every 48,000 km (approx. every 30,000 miles). I will need these parties on my side if my tranny craps out on me. The last thing I will need, if this happens, is any doubt as to the maintenance performed on my tranny. For as long as I have been reading on this forum, you would be hard pressed to find an owner paying for all, or a majority of, the cost of a new tranny. I don't want to be left out in the cold on this one.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

I just have to smile when I read all of these posts. It appears that everyone does have their own opinions on this subject but it is humorous that each and every one of them is backed by "my dealer says this" "owners manual says that" "Honda corporate says something else". Obviously each dealer is not created equal on this subject and possibly even Honda corporate does not have a single stance on this subject.
    One thing I do agree on is if your servicing dealer is good and they say to drain and fill only then by all means drain and fill till your hearts content and the recycling bins of tranny fluid are full. If your dealer is of the flush persuasion I would stick with it. Bottom line is it is your servicing dealer that will back you up when you have a problem wether it is induced by lack of maintenance, over maintenance, improper maintenance or just bad luck of the draw and your tranny decides to just throw in the towel due to mechanical breakdown. I wish the best of luck to everyone reading this post and toast to million mile tranny's.

The decision was easy for me. When my dealer called and said my fluid was dirty and offered a flush, at over $100. I told him I couldn't afford it and to just drain and fill. I did it that time and at the next oil change. I may do it once more. Thus spending the same money, but on my terms.

My timing is always bad. I just had my transmission fluid flushed in my GM SUV. I know it is a little off topic, but I was curious if Honda has made any recent changes to it's ATF? I thought this announcement was kind of interesting....

---------------------------------------

"GM Introduces New Automatic Transmission Fluid For 2006 Cars and Trucks

New factory-fill fluid standard in all 2006 MY Hydra-Matic transmissions

Significantly improved viscosity, shift performance and fluid durability

Available through GM Vehicle Care products as DEXRON-VI

Approved for service application on all prior model year Hydra-Matic automatic transmissions
    Pontiac, Mich. - GM, in conjunction with Petro-Canada and Afton Chemical Corporation, have developed a new, improved automatic transmission fluid for all 2006 model year Hydra-Matic automatic transmissions. Developed for factory-fill as RDL-3434 and registered for service fill as DEXRON-VI, the new fluid represents a significant improvement in automatic transmission fluids and is the direct result of GM's industry leadership in the development and production of automatic transmissions.

"For 65 years, GM has led in the design, development and production of automatic transmissions," says Tom Stephens, group vice president for GM Powertrain. "This knowledge and experience has helped us work directly with the petroleum industry to develop a new fluid that will further accentuate the performance and reliability of GM's Hydra-Matic transmissions."

Automatic transmission fluid (ATF) is considered the life-blood of the automatic transmission. It is used to transfer power in the torque converter and provide the pressure to apply the transmission's various clutches and bands. It also is used to clean, lubricate and cool the components of the transmission. GM's new transmission fluid, DEXRON-VI, was developed to have a more consistent viscosity profile; a more consistent shift performance in extreme conditions; and less degradation over time.

Beginning with the design and development of GM's new Hydra-Matic 6-speed rear-wheel-drive transmissions, GM Powertrain engineers determined the need for a new transmission fluid to withstand the complexity of the clutch-to-clutch transmission operation. Additionally, GM engineers identified opportunities to improve viscosity, durability, and impact on fuel economy with a new fluid.

"The development of DEXRON-VI is the first time an automotive company has worked so closely with petroleum and additive companies to develop a new fluid," says Roy Fewkes, driveline fluids group leader, GM Powertrain. "The result is a new fluid that significantly outperforms existing fluids in every aspect. In fact, we have had to significantly extend the length of our durability tests to fully test the fluid's capability."

Internal GM tests have demonstrated DEXRON-VI to deliver more than twice the durability and stability in friction tests compared to existing fluids. It also has demonstrated superior performance in pitting, foaming, oxidation and shear stability tests.

GM will begin factory-fill of the new transmission fluid on April 4, starting with the new Hydra-Matic 6L80, produced at the Willow Run transmission facility in Ypsilanti, Mich.

DEXRON-VI will be available through genuine GM Vehicle Care products at GM authorized dealerships and service centers in Summer 2005. "
    Doug --05 Ody Touring/Sage Brush Pearl--

Regarding "drain and fill" vs "flush and Fill" somewhere someone suggested doing what is stated to do in the manual.

Well, at Owner link they just state "Replace automatic transmission fluid."

So, what does that really mean?

It means draining the aprox. 1/3 of the fluid you get out of the drain plug and then refilling. You cannot get "all" the fluid out without a machine.
    Last edited by egads; 06-23-2005 at 01:51 AM.

"Well, at Owner link they just state "Replace automatic transmission fluid."
    So, what does that really mean?"

The 2003 service manual says drain and fill.

$2.75/qt for 12 plus shipping = $3.95/qt

Originally posted by james9793
    How much is the tranny fluid? I have an '01, all city driving, and I bet I need to change the fluid....
    Could not find the ATF on the link provided but found on ebay here: http://motors.search.ebay.com/search...e=search&fgtp=

Has anyone ever tried disconnecting the Transmission oil cooler hose and do a flush that way? I haven't located the hose yet, but I know that is the procedure several manufacturers recommend. It basically goes like this:

1. Disconnect the Trans to radiator coolant hose.
    2. Start the engine and let the fluid run into a pan until flow stops.
    3. Remove drain plug from Transmission and let fluid drain.
    4. Refill Transmission.
    5. Repeat step 2.
    6. Refill
    7. Reconnect hose.

Instead of disconnecting the Trans to radiator coolant hose, disconnect the return hose radiator to trans. This way you will also flush the atf inside the radiator cooler.
    2002 Ody LX (Mom's)
    2003 Maxima (Dad's)
    2002 Supercharged Miata ( Dad's toy)
    1998 Civic: son's
    2004 Mazda3: daughter's
    2005 Mazda3: other daughter's

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements