Timing Belt Change
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timing Belt Change

Timing Belt Change

Especially those of you who have changed the timing belt yourselves, Would you let a decent independant mechanic change your timing belt, or would you only trust this to a dealership?

Why I'm asking: I have had 2 timing belts changed in my life, both by dealerships one good, one not.

After a timing belt change in my 1986 Nissan Maxima (done by a Nissan dealer in 1991) the engine would no longer run on regular gas, it would ping unless premium was used. I attribute this (possibly wrong) to the timing belt being off one notch, perhaps on the crank, perhaps in one of the cylinder banks.

My 1995 Toyota Avalon's timing belt was done at a Toyota dealer without incident.
    --
    2012 Ody EX-L (wife's)
    2007 Accord 5sp LX-SE I4

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I went independent no problem at all. It can be done by a shade tree mechanic with the time and will to do it. These days they sell kits that include everything for the job, belts, idlers, water pump... Seals. Everything needed.
    Local guy offered to do the entire job kit included for $500. He was done in half a day.
    2000 LX 143,000 Miles

I see that you are in NJ. I am having the timing belt changed at Hamilton Honda later this month. The have a special for $389.98 (plus $75 if the timing belt tensioner needs to be replaced). It includes timing belt, water pump, drive belts. Also, if you are a first time customer they offer a free oil change. I was unable to find anything else in that price range. From reading other boards it is legit and they do a good job. Their number is 877-512-5578. Hope this helps!

David
    2014 Honda CRV EXL
    2004 Honda Odyssey EXL RES
    2003 Honda S2000

Quote Originally Posted by dlmcdowell View Post
    I see that you are in NJ. I am having the timing belt changed at Hamilton Honda later this month. The have a special for $389.98 (plus $75 if the timing belt tensioner needs to be replaced). It includes timing belt, water pump, drive belts. Also, if you are a first time customer they offer a free oil change. I was unable to find anything else in that price range. From reading other boards it is legit and they do a good job. Their number is 877-512-5578. Hope this helps!

David
    Thanks. It's 50 mins away. What I found (at my honda dealer at least ) is that they ( quoted $799 and I have a 10% off coupon bringing it to $720 including tensioner ) try to sell you other stuff, and are very convincing. I figured I'd end up paying closer to $1K. The estimate from a local shop was $600. He'll put in the OEM spark plugs I bought for ~$35 on Amazon too (and save me the effort). The Hamilton deal sounds great, but I would lose at least 1/2 day of work to go there. It would be tempting if I had vacation days to burn. You'd come all the way from NY?
    --
    2012 Ody EX-L (wife's)
    2007 Accord 5sp LX-SE I4

Quote Originally Posted by OddDrive View Post
    Thanks. It's 50 mins away. What I found (at my honda dealer at least ) is that they ( quoted $799 and I have a 10% off coupon bringing it to $720 including tensioner ) try to sell you other stuff, and are very convincing. I figured I'd end up paying closer to $1K. The estimate from a local shop was $600. He'll put in the OEM spark plugs I bought for ~$35 on Amazon too (and save me the effort). The Hamilton deal sounds great, but I would lose at least 1/2 day of work to go there. It would be tempting if I had vacation days to burn. You'd come all the way from NY?
    It is one of the very few perks of being unemployed (lot's of time). I figure I can do online job searches while waiting - worth the wait for a few hundred dollars...

David
    2014 Honda CRV EXL
    2003 Honda S2000

Quote Originally Posted by dlmcdowell View Post
    It is one of the very few perks of being unemployed (lot's of time). I figure I can do online job searches while waiting - worth the wait for a few hundred dollars...

David
    I wish you speedy success in your search!
    --
    2012 Ody EX-L (wife's)
    2007 Accord 5sp LX-SE I4

Thanks!
    2014 Honda CRV EXL
    2003 Honda S2000

I finally did it. I chose my independent mechanic. I had the timing belt, accessory belt, water pump, spark plugs ( I supplied the plugs ) and oil change done for $691 including NJ tax.
    --
    2012 Ody EX-L (wife's)
    2007 Accord 5sp LX-SE I4

Quote Originally Posted by OddDrive View Post
    I finally did it. I chose my independent mechanic. I had the timing belt, accessory belt, water pump, spark plugs ( I supplied the plugs ) and oil change done for $691 including NJ tax.
    Great! I got all but the spark plugs done 6 weeks ago. I have the plugs sitting in the garage waiting for me...next week....
    2014 Honda CRV EXL
    2003 Honda S2000

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I highly recommend that Odyssey owners perform this vital maintenance job themselves when their van rolls over to the 90K mark or so. I did all the work myself on my old '02 and was happy that I did

For future reference, I figured that someone on this board may prosper from this walk-through on the timing belt replacement for a '02 Ody:

1) Disconnect the negative battery terminal.

2) Turn the crankshaft so the white mark on the crankshaft pulley aligns with the pointer on the oil pump housing cover.

3) Open the inspection plugs on the upper timing belt covers and check that the camshaft sprocket marks align with the upper cover marks.

Very Important: Align the camshaft and crankshaft sprockets with their alignment marks before removing the timing belt. Failure to align the timing marks correctly may result in valve damage. Don't let it happen to you!

4) Raise and safely support the vehicle and remove both front tires/wheels.

5) Remove the front lower splash shield.

6) Move the alternator tensioner with a Belt Tensioner Release Arm tool YA9317, or equivalent, to release tension from the belt and remove the alternator drive belt.

7) Remove the alternator belt tensioner release arm.

8) Loosen the power steering pump adjustment nut, adjustment locknut and mounting bolt, then remove the power steering pump with the hoses attached.

9) Support the weight of the engine by placing a wood block on a floor jack and carefully lift on the oil pan.

10) Remove the bolts from the side engine mount bracket and remove the bracket.

11) Remove the dipstick, the dipstick tube and discard the O-ring.

12) Hold the crankshaft pulley with the Handle tool 07JAB-001020A and Crankshaft Holding tool 07MAB-PY3010A, or equivalent. While holding the crankshaft pulley, remove the crankshaft pulley bolt using a heavy duty 3/4 in. (19mm) socket and breaker bar.

13) Remove the crankshaft pulley, the upper timing belt covers and the lower timing belt cover.

14) Remove one of the battery clamp fasteners from the battery tray and grind a 45 degree bevel on the threaded end of the battery clamp bolt.

15) Screw in the battery hold-down bolt into the threaded bracket just above the auto-tensioner (automatic timing belt adjuster) and tighten the bolt hand-tight to hold the auto-tensioner adjuster in its current position.

16) Remove the engine mount bracket bolts and the bracket.

17) Loosen the timing belt idler pulley bolt (located on the right side across from the auto-tensioner pulley. Refer to this Odyssey Timing Belt diagram) about 56 revolutions and remove the timing belt.

--To Install--

1) Clean the timing belt sprockets and the timing belt covers.

2) Align the timing mark on the crankshaft sprocket with the oil pump pointer.

3) Align the camshaft sprocket TDC timing marks with the pointers on the rear cover.

4) The auto-tensioner must be collapsed before installation of the timing belt, perform the following procedures:

a) Remove the battery hold-down bolt from the auto-tensioner bracket.

b) Remove the timing belt auto-tensioner bolts and the auto-tensioner.

c) Secure the auto-tensioner in a soft jawed vise, clamping onto the flat surface of one of the mounting bolt holes with the maintenance bolt facing upward.

d) Remove the maintenance bolt and use caution not to spill oil from the tensioner assembly.

e) Should oil spill from the tensioner, be sure the tensioner is filled with 0.22 ounces (6.5 ml) of fresh engine oil.

f) Using care not to damage the threads or the gasket sealing surface, insert a flat-blade screwdriver through the tensioner maintenance hole and turn the screwdriver clockwise to compress the auto-tensioner bottom while the Tensioner Holder tool 14540-P8A-A01, or equivalent, is installed on the auto-tensioner assembly.

g) Install the auto-tensioner maintenance bolt with a new gasket and tighten to a torque 72 inch lbs. (8 Nm).

h) Install the auto-tensioner on the engine with the tensioner holder tool installed and torque the mounting bolts to 104 inch lbs. (12 Nm).

5) Install the timing belt in a counterclockwise pattern starting with the crankshaft drive sprocket. Install the timing belt counterclockwise in the following sequence:
    Crankshaft drive sprocket.
    Idler pulley.
    Left side camshaft sprocket.
    Water pump.
    Right side camshaft sprocket.
    Auto-tensioner adjustment pulley.

6) Torque the timing belt idler pulley bolt to 33 ft. lbs. (44 Nm).

7) Remove the auto-tensioner holding tool to allow the tensioner to extend.

8) Install the engine mount bracket to the engine and torque the bolts to 33 ft. lbs. (44 Nm).

9) Install the lower timing belt cover and both upper timing belt covers.

10) Hold the crankshaft pulley with special tools 07JAB-001020A handle and 07MAB-PY3010A crankshaft holding tool, or equivalent tools. While holding the crankshaft pulley, install the crankshaft pulley bolt using a heavy duty 3/4 in. (19mm) socket and a torque wrench and torque the bolt to 181 ft. lbs. (245 Nm).

Very Important, again: If any binding is felt while moving the crankshaft pulley, STOP turning the crankshaft pulley immediately because the pistons may be hitting the valves.

11) Rotate the crankshaft pulley clockwise 56 revolutions to allow the timing belt to be seated in the pulleys.

12) Move the crankshaft pulley to the white TDC mark and inspect the camshaft TDC marks to ensure proper timing of the camshafts.

13) Install the engine dipstick tube using a new O-ring.

14) Install the power steering pump, and loosely install the mounting bolt, adjustment locknut and adjustment nut.

15) Adjust the power steering belt to a tension such that a 22 lb. (98 N) pull halfway between the 2 drive pulleys will allow the belt to move 0.510.65 in. (13.016.5mm).

16) Tighten the power steering pump mounting bolt and adjustment locknut.

**Set the deflection of the new belt to 0.330.43 in. (8.511.0mm) and after engine has run for 5 minutes, readjust the new belt to the used belt specification**

17) Install the alternator belt tensioner arm.

18) Move the alternator tensioner with a Belt Tensioner Release Arm tool YA9317, or equivalent, to release tension from the belt and install the alternator drive belt.

19) Install both engine mount bracket bolts and torque to 33 ft. lbs. (44 Nm).

20) Install the bushing through bolt and tighten to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).

21) Release and carefully remove the floor jack.

22) Install the front lower splash shield.

23) Install both front tires/wheels.

24) Carefully lower the vehicle.

25) Install the battery hold-down bolt in the battery tray.

26) Install the negative battery cable.

27) Enter the radio security code.

Phew! It's a long and arduous procedure, as you can tell, but if you perform the work yourself then the savings are totally worth it
    "Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand. " -Homer Simpson

Lots of typing considering there is already a sticky at the top with timing belt procedure and pics!
    NWF_Snake
    Was: 2002 EX-L RES FES Taffeta White "Hers"
    Now: 2007 Lexus RX 350 "Hers"
    2000 Honda Accord LX Taffeta White "His"
    2003 Accord EX EBP, "Kid1"
    1998 CR-V LX SS, "Kid2"
    Use the "Search" Feature!
    Newbies, Read the Rules!
    I am always happy to offer Cheese with your Whine!

I have a 2000 Honda Odyssey bought new in June 2000 with 161,755 miles on it. I have not replaced the timing belt and have no plans to do so. In some cars the timing belt will go like clockwork (ie. my 86 Subaru GL not once but twice) while others such as the Honda may never go. The transmission is a little loose, but still working fine. Recently, the check engine light went on with the resulting codes being all transmission related. I purchased and put Lucas Transmission fix in it after getting $3,500 quotes for transmission replacement. Realizing Lucas will not fix a truly mechanical issue much to my surprise the check engine light went off recently and the transmission seems to be running smoother. Either way I will not be spending money on either a new transmission or a new timing belt. The money is better spent on something newer. All in all I am very happy with my Honda.

Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar
    3 cross-posts to say you are not performing timing belt service and used Lucas in the transmission?
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

Another one of the big DIY timing belt repalcment threads here - Changed my timimg belt.

Quote Originally Posted by New Dad New Van View Post
    3 cross-posts to say you are not performing timing belt service and used Lucas in the transmission?
    I always think "shill" when these things come from a brand new user account. Sorta like that guy "AndyOil" who posted that he used Amsoil and immediately noticed a 15% improvement in gas mileage. Uhhh, RIGHT.........sure you did. Why does a brand new user come on to post 3 different places the same message about the marvelous snake oil of the day....

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements