What happens when you add too much ATF?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What happens when you add too much ATF?

What happens when you add too much ATF?

No, I'm not going to overfill it on purpose. Just wondering if there is any harm if one adds too much.

Motor oil, for example when you overfill it, will boil over and/or foam up. So that's not good.

Will ATF do something similar?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Too much ATF will foam up, so the transmission can slip - this happened to me in a previous car. I think the slipping may not be good for the transmission, as it probably means extra wear on some parts...

Also, it has happened to me in another previous car where the ATF started coming out of a vent on top of the transmission and dripped on the exhaust, creating a lot of smoke.

Nicolas
    Current:
    2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L - Weathertech rubber mats and trunk liner, Focus Design hood deflector, Polk speakers (in progress)

Previous:
    2000 Subaru Legacy L wagon - Head unit and speakers, hood deflector

1982 Mercedes 300D Turbodiesel - Head unit and speakers
    1985 Honda Accord LX

Quote Originally Posted by nicomtl View Post
    the ATF started coming out of a vent on top of the transmission
    Usually this
    2007 EX-L

I saw a guy's Ford Explorer do the spilling out the vent deal do to an ATF overfill. It leaked onto the exhaust pipe and ignited

ATF is supposed to do everything, as in hydraulic torque transmission, operate hydraulic power circuits, perform heat exchange and lubricate bearing surfaces and gear faces. It can only do this if it is in a pure liquid state. Air entrained ATF (foam) does none of these well. One can possibly damage many things in a transmission due to an overfill.

OF
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 103.5k OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, chuck k fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod
    2002 Ody EX RES 96.0k OEM fogs & hitch, chuck k fog mod#1
    1998 Accord LX174k. DIY: Haynes 676 ATF cooler; T & acc belts & tensioners.
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

6. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements