Front brakes how much?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Front brakes how much?

Hey

Front brakes how much?

I'm curious to know what people here have paid for front brake replacement. My dealer wants $250 with resurfacing rotors. 02.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

$250 seems much for resurfacing... I had gotten a quote from my dealer for new pads and resurface for $160.00, even this sounds high.

I think new pads are around $50

$250 is on the high side. I hate when dealers and others give the "rotors need resurfacing" song. Most of the time it isn't required. This is the reason why I decided to service brakes myself. Also, I find many places will give you an estimate as soon as pads reach less than 50% wear, instead of saying "Mr. customer your brakes are fine". At 50% wear, in average you still have at least 12000 milles of service left on the pads. Why change?

I was intimidated servicing my own brakes at the beginning, but it pays off now. Really easy to do. There are few write-ups on this forum, search under "brakes".
    2002 Ody LX (Mom's)
    2003 Maxima (Dad's)
    2002 Supercharged Miata ( Dad's toy)
    1998 Civic: son's
    2004 Mazda3: daughter's
    2005 Mazda3: other daughter's

If you do not feel the brakes pulsing when you stop, then chances are that your rotors are fine....

Hey
    Thanks for the replies. I don't feel any pulsation when braking.

Sounds like a good time to try doing the brakes yourself.... get a friend that has done it before and get into it. It is not really difficult and will save you money.

Angry Front Brakes

Just had front brakes done on my '99 Honda in the whooping amount of $302.00. Discusted but not knowing what to do I said yes to the price. Little did I know that Sts tires could have done them for $140.00. I blame my husband for dealing only with dealers. He feels only they can fix their own cars properly. I am shopping around, I had it with this maintenances services where I am only paying for labor but no parts. I learned my lesson. Shop around...

Our long time trusted independent honda repair shop did not put in the pads correctly (or used the wrong pads) and they made a grinding noise. Our dealer put them in right.

I paid $190 for resurfacing and ceramic pads at a local repair chain.

---edited to add:

Forgot- that included replacing the brake fluid and clean and adjust on the rear brakes, as well.
    Last edited by Atomic Robot; 02-19-2004 at 05:12 PM.
    '07 Accord SE AT i4 Alabaster Silver 98K mi
    Mods: debadged / oem splash guard kit / shiny valve stem caps
    '00 Odyssey EX Granite Green Metallic 142K mi
    Mods: debadged / oem splash guard kit / cargo tray

I paid $180 at our Honda dealer and that included bleeding and resurfacing(mine were shimmying left and right when I hit the brakes).

I read on a previous post some member did his own brake job using honda parts and buying new rotors for less than I paid.
    01' Granite Green Odyssey
    97' CRV
    97' NSX
    67' Camaro

I was at the local Honda dealership today for an oil change and tranny drain & fill. I asked about cost of front brakes and was told $160 plus tax, etc., includes pads and turning rotors on the wheel. The tech said aferward that the Ody still had about 10K good miles on the present pads which have 45K on them.
    Lanny
    01 Ody EX MB w/01 Accord EX radio, Acura TL Steering Wheel, Donnelly Mirror, '02 Middle Seat Cupholder mod, Fog lights w/#2 wiring mod, Hidden Hitch and Air Lifts

06 Accord EX-L 4dr, Red, no mods (yet)

brake service at dealer

My experience with the dealer is that when they say they bleed the brakes, they don't do it. They just say that only to buy you in.
    They might do it only if they replace the master cylinder / power brakes. Hardly will they ever bleed.

Make sure they turn the rotors on the car, no matter how good of a lathe you have, it is not the same center on the rotor and it will wobble.

I was just doing some research and came across this old thread. My wife recently took our 2001 Ody to the dealer for a LOF. They apparently did some sort of periodic check and discovered that the front brakes need replaced. They quoted her a price of $315.00 to replace the pads, machine the rotors and clean/adjust the rear brakes!

Initially she told them to go ahead, but fortunately her BS sensor went off and she called me. After I reamed the service manager a new one on the phone, I priced the parts and got what I need to do the job at home. Turns out that even with Honda OEM parts, I can REPLACE the rotors for less than the dealer wanted to cut the old ones. I went with Bendix rotors, as I have used them before with satisfactory results, and ceramic pads. I feel sorry for anyone who thinks that their dealer is the only game in town, and believes everything they say.

15. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements