Honda Odyssey Forum banner

What is the proper procedure to change power steering fluid

8K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  razcob 
#1 ·
I need to change the fluid in the power steering reservoir and need to know the correct way to do this. Can anyone help me out?
I have a 2001 ody, with about 55K....thanx

#2 ·
1. Disconnect the RETURN line to the PS reservoir.
2. Rig up a hose with a double bib so you can route it to a bucket.
3. Start engine and allow ps pump to pump all fluid out (into the bucket).
3a. If you keep refilling reservoir, you can actually flush the system thoroughly.
4. Run engine until PS system is empty empty.
5. reconect return hose to PS reservoir
6. Fill with the appropriate amount of fluid.

John

#4 ·
wooripi said:
Which one is returning hose?
The return hose is the smaller diameter one coming from the cooler to the reservoir. It points forward.

The larger diameter one goes to the pump suction.

-Mark

#6 ·
canadaodyowner said:
Silly(?) question, won't running empy/dry ruin the ps pump and components?
Depends on how long you run it. A couple of secs won't hurt it as much as leaving the dirty fluid in there for 30k miles!

FYI, you don't have to get every drop. They ARE designed to run forever without changing the fluid.

#8 ·
The PS system holds 1.16 USQ according to the manual.

The proceedure in the manual is for fluid replacement, not flushing.

G
#11 ·
Tom Y said:
Thanks - I was about to order some fluid online ($1.80/bottle) so I needed to find out how much I needed. I was at the dealer getting my wifes Accord washed (free lifetime washes!), they wanted $5.38/bottle.
Ouch! Where was that at? When LeadFoot60 helped me install our tranny/ps coolers, I bought the fluids locally (Bellevue Honda) and only paid about $3 for the ps fluid.

Wayne

#14 · (Edited)
Tried the Flush and Fill Method

I disconnected the return line and attached a hose, attached the hose to an empty gallon jug, and plugged the reservoir return port. I started the engine and poured new fluid in the reservoir while the old fluid was being pumped into the jug. Caution: If you are going to try this, make sure you use a large container (64 oz. minimum) to pour in the new fluid, because that pump will drain the reservoir quickly. My '00 EX has 80,000 miles and the new fluid marginally improved the ease of steering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.