Taillight removal
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Taillight removal

Taillight removal

Holy cow! I've tried the instructions for my 2001 Ody, which say to remove the 2 screws, then slide the lens rearward. Well come on! I"ve pulled and tugged with all my might (that I could with 1/2" of lens to pull on) and tried to wedge behind the lens and push, but all to no avail.

How do you get the lens off without breaking the lens, scratching the bodywork, or becoming thoroughly pissed off?!?!?

I've seem some other posts, but none really tell any tricks, just more lamenting about the difficulty of removal.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. BTW - I'm working on the right side outer lens.

-Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Exclamation Hmmm...

Seems like you are working on passenger side of outer lens? When you remove 2 screws and try to pull the lens then their will be gap between lense and the body... Why don't you use flat screw driver cover with leather glove or something... and push to lens direction... I had a tough time removing the lens first time... Always first time is hard.... I hope I give you enough information.

Jason
    '01 TW LX...
    2001 Honda Prelude wheels, oem lug nuts, 2002 4pcs brake light swap, S2000 antenna, oem leather steering wheel wrap, add-on cd deck, splash guard...

Ugh

Yes, passenger outer lens. I was pushing on the lens with a screwdriver, sans the leather glove, and was afraid of cracking or shattering the lens or scratching the car.
    I was figuring that one of the techs has a tried and true method for popping out the lens.
    I checked out the mods and saw the mushroom shaped connector in the ROSS mod that I'm pushing against.

Thanks for your input!

If you are trying to remove the whole assembly, I used some doorbell wire and threaded it around the forward portion and around the backside of the assembly. That gives you something to hold onto and yank in the correct direction. There is one of those "pins" on the backside that holds it in after the screws are out. I can't remember all the details now, but I posted them in regards to doing my backup system.

I hope that helps,

Jeff
    Jeff

'01 SS EX
    Cassette, Rosen Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards
    Full Nose Mask, Donnelly ECT Mirror,
    ROSS Back-up System, Hidden Hitch w/ 2" Receiver

Their is an exploded view of removal as well as written directions in the hitch install instructions pg 2. Access to the directions are on this website:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/odyext02.html

Wait till you have a warm day. Plastic is more brittle, the colder it is.

Hope this helps.

I just took the rear lamps off this afternoon. Basically, after you take out the two screws from the back, you need to "loosen" the lamps, do this by pulling a little by putting your fingers into the two screw wells.

Then take a screw driver and fold a towel in half and place the screwdriver in between (there should be two layers of cloth on each side of the screw driver blade) Place this at the other end of the lamp. The white platic stud is located roughly 1 inch from the bottom, put the screwdriver in and slowly twist to get some leverage, at the same time, pull using one of the screw wells from behind. It will come out...

Be careful not to scratch anything.....

Also, behind each bolt there is a gasket-type washer. Don't lose them.
    2000 EX. 182k km, original tranny.
    2011 Corolla LE.

I'm trying to replace the brake light bulb on the driver's side of my 2000 Odyssey. I found another Q&A on the internet that said I need to remove a small red plastic "door" on the lens assembly to get a third screw, the one that holds the front of the lens assembly.

Here you are referring to a friction-fit fitting in this place. My red plastic lens assembly has no door that I can see. So I am assuming I have a friction fitting also on the 2000 Odyssey.

I hate to try and gently wiggle/pry this thing out only to crack it because it's held in by a hidden screw.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

I had the driver side rear lens out on my 04 to install a trailer light cable and came out as stated here. Two screws under the two flaps and pull it out od the friction fitting in the back. No hidden screws....
    2004 EX Odyssey.
    All posts made by me are in reference to the gen 2 Odyssey.

As stated here, there's a mushroom shaped pin at the forward section of the light lense. As someone suggested, I used a towel or shammy against the paint and a large, flathead screwdriver which I twisted. Twisting increased the space between the lense and the car body (and pushed the lense rear-ward until the pin popped out.
    I then removed the bulb, saw that it had only come loose and wasn't actually burnt out, reseated the bulb, and put everything back together.
    Thanks to everyone's help here!

I just replaced the tail light/brake light bulb (the top one with the dual filament - the bottom one with the single filament is the turn signal).

I tried the screw driver and it chipped the paint, even when using a rag, so I recommend just pulling back on the tail light lens. Actually you can force it to the outside of the vehicle, and that mushroom pin will pop right out, but it does take a good bit of force.

Talking Saved by Ody Club Once Again

The taillight removal thread saved me again - I've found so much on this site it amazes me each time I need something.

Thanks to all you guys and gals out there.

-J

Yup. Aren't Internet forums wonderful? For me the key was just knowing whether pulling too hard would break anything, so I thought I would make sure to share that it didn't.
    Last edited by Ralph; 12-14-2004 at 04:46 PM.

Thanks guys for all the help and "insight." It makes a difference knowing what's behind the lens cover and that forcing it a little bit isn't going to break anything. (Personally I thought it was a bad design, or at least the directions in the Honda glove compartment manual were really inadequate to explain how to perform this usually easy maintenance item.)

Anyway, it was unbelievable to find that searching the internet really didn't yield any helpful suggestions - in fact, the only link I found before coming here was the one to the CRXsi.com forum which had an Odyssey section and had the misleading information mentioned in another post above (the elusive, invisible, non-existent "little flat door" to pry open to get to the "hidden screw"; there certainly wasn't one of those on my 2000 Odyssey's rear light cover).

Anyway, armed with all the helpful suggestions here, I was able to pop off my lens cover, pull out the burned out bulb, run down to Wal-Mart to get a new one, and replace it all within 45 minutes. I probably would have gotten charged at least 15-30 minutes labor at $80/hr to have it done at the dealer.

Thanks again all!

Thanks to those who posted previously on this subject. As others have commented, you do have to pull harder than feels comfortable. I took a quick picture of the binting post since there were no other pictures. It took a stready pull straight backwards with two fingers positioned in the removed screw holes and finger tips around the front edge of the lens when the gap opened a little. One other considerstion: We had a bulb replaced under warranty and the dealer buggered up the little screw flaps so badly that we requested that they replace the lens which they did. That was in 91. This time since I was responsible for any damage I wanted to be more careful. Those little flaps are a little difficult to pop out and quite thin and fragile at the point where you pry them up. I tried to fashion a little flat piece metal with a curve at the end to try to lift the flaps up. Even that started to do damage. What I stumbled on was using a butter knife and pressing in into the slot so that it passed farther than the little cutout in the tab. When I did that the whole flap poped open almost by itself without any damage what so ever.

Jon
    Attached Images Attached Images

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements