Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Oil change

7K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  6-Speed 
#1 ·
I havn't had time to bring my car to honda to get an oil change since the available date and time don't work for me or the walkin is too long a wait. I'm thinking about changing my own oil. I currently change my down for the honda fit but not sure if i want to tackle the odyssey until now.

I have a 3 ton floor jack with two 3 ton floor stands. Do you think the jack and stand is sufficient to safely raise the van? Also, i have a standard filter that fits for the Fit, it appears to fit the Odyssey as well.
Anyone know what kind of oil it uses? I believe it uses a mixed blend? I have 14k on it.. thinking about changing over to synthetic. It takes about 5 quarts right?

I assume the filter is near the front just like the fit with the drain plug there as well and that a 10mm should work?

one a side note, does anyone know where the spare tire is located on a 2013 Ody?

#2 ·
Yes a 3 ton jack is more than sufficient to lift your Ody. If its a 2013 it uses a 0W20 oil but I just put in a 5W20 and everything is fine so buy what's on sale. I believe it also calls for synthetic fluid (which I would use anyways). It takes 4.4 litres which I believe is 5 quarts roughly.

Filter is a bit tricky - you can see if from passenger side front wheel but really can only easily get to it underneath. If you are going to use jack stands then it will be no problem to get to it.

Spare tire I believe is between first and second row in the floor.

#3 ·
Most of those "secrets" are in the owner's manual.
Jerry O.

#5 ·
To be honest (flame suit on) I just jack it up on one side and slide underneath. I use the stock jack point by the driver's side door. I know - not very safe but I guess I'm just being lazy. Used to use ramps. I think that if I did have a bigger floor jack that could jack the front up and put it on jack stands, then I would use one of the front engine mounts somewhere in the middle. But I really don't know where I would do it as I've never looked.

#6 ·
To reach the plug, you can just jack it up behind the right front wheel (normal jacking point) and slide a stand under it for safety. For the filter, turn the front wheels hard right when you park and you will be able to see and reach the filter. As someone said, the other info is in the manual. As for oil quantity, you can pour the used oil into a gallon jug to see how much comes out, then just put that much back in. We've never had more than a gallon come out, as I recall. And, be sure to keep an eye on the oil level between extended oil changes, and if you find your spare, the pressure should be checked (or maybe that's why you were asking).

#7 ·
The jacking points listed in the repair manuals are the four jacking points under the rocker panels and the two, one front and one rear, tie-down hooks, centered on the sub frames. Any other points one might use offer some potential for permanent damage, especially up front. If one has a capable jack, it is easy to jack one end or the other and put stands under the rocker panel pads. One other point that always is worth mentioning is that concrete blocks should NEVER be used to support a vehicle. They can shatter and drop the vehicle at any time. Happy maintaining,
Jerry O.

#8 ·
yes, I jack up at the front hook pint and put ramps on the driver and passenger side. I will probably do tire rotations next week. Instead of swapping them like an X i will probably just rotate the front to the backa dn the back to the front since it'll probably be the easiest.

#9 ·
i noticed that there's a High performance extended life oil that mobil 1 makes. It's a bit more expensive but is warranteed for 15,000 miles. Does anyone know if it really lasts for that long?
Currently, my maintenance minder pops on at about 5-6k.. if paying an extra 10 bucks will last me for 10k I'd be happy. Let me know your experiences with this line of motor oil.

#10 ·
If you are interested in rotating like the manual suggests, you can do it with one floor jack, but it involves using the spare (a good time to pull it out and checks its pressure). I can explain if you want to do it right. I would just use regular synthetic instead of going that long between changes, and I usually do the oil myself, but when the dealer will do it for $45, it is hard to pass up.

#11 ·
If you cock the wheel all the way to the right- you can get to the filter unless you have short arms or if the last person who put the filter on super tightened it. I use a fumoto valve on the oil pan- do not even have to jack the car up to do an oil change- heck do not even need to use tools.

#12 ·
TD,

I had a heck of a time loosening the oil nut and the filter. The dealership tightened it really tight. I can reach the filter if i turn my wheels to the right but i can't reach my drain nut if i don't jack the car up. I'd rather not jack it up sicne it always worries me.. even with jack stands.. when i use strength i always fear soemthing back would happen and the stands would fail.. tell me what u do to avoid jacking car up!

#13 ·
I installed a Fumoto drain valve on the oil pan. That way I can just crawl under the front and reach the valve. Do a search on Fumoto Drain valve.

When I do need to get under the car, I use rhino ramps. I use jack stands too if I need to do suspension work.

#14 ·
I understand that some people don't like jacking up the vehicle and sliding underneath.

If you don't mind going under the vehicle, you would get a chance to look around for any leaks.
The leak could be oil or grease leaks and they don't always drop to the ground.
It is good to detect any leak as early as possible.

#16 ·
#17 ·
That's a good suggestion, but they look very expensive compared to normal Rhino ramps (which I have and like). Another option is 2x10s stacked two or three high. Here is how one person did them.
I have a set of those too. I use them for oil changes on my lowered Mustang where I need a little bit more height; they work great, but I prefer the Race Ramps for working on my other cars due to their light weight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.