replacing serpentine belt
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: replacing serpentine belt

replacing serpentine belt

Hey guys. I'm new to the world of oddys and need some help. I've replaced many a serpentine belt before but always had plenty of room before now.

What tool can you use to take off the tension from the serpentine belt tensioner? I tried a serpentine belt tool from a local autoparts store but no joy. The space I have to work with is too small to get all the tension off. The 1/2" between the frame and the tensioner only lets in a clawfoot or a small hand wrench. I'm not strong enough to take off the tension with a small 14mm open end wrench. What's the special mojo requried? Many thanks.
    2001 Oddy EX.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

no special mojo. try a flare nut wrench so you get good contact on 4 sides. then use a cheeter bar [sleeve] over the other end.
    Drive it like you OWN it

At least on the '02 you have to work from under the car, remove the splash shield.

got it

thanks guys. I ended up using a good quality 12 pt box end wrnech and a "perswader". Just barely enough room.
    Is there an official honda tool or honda recommended tool for this?

just replaced my serpentine belt

MY Odyssey is a '99 with just under 80,000 miles and 6 years, 1 month old.

After reading through the threads here, I decided to check the serpentine belt. It was really hard to get a good view of the inside of the belt but from what I saw, the belt looked like it had no cracks.

But for $19.50 I figured I would order a belt (plus the PS belt for $8.50) from Hondaparts4U.com. I figured that we are putting a lot fewer miles on the van now and that for preventive maintenance purposes I should just change the belt.
    The way I see it, this belt should last the useful life of the van for me.

I have an 12 pt box/open end 14mm wrench that I tried to put a "cheater" on but there really was no room to do this. So I struggled with my 7" long wrench putting the box end on the bolt. After much struggle, I finally moved it enough to get the belt off. I had a hard time getting the stupid belt (or am I the stupid one) out of the engine compartment once I got it off the tensioner. I finally pulled it out from below.

The new belt was a struggle trying to move the tensioner with this small wrench and at the same time trying to get the belt over the alternator. I was afraid the wrench would slip and my fingers would be caught between the belt and the alternator. But again, after much struggling, I was able to get the belt on. Total time: around an hour - mostly spent trying to figure out how to get a cheater on and then how to move the tensioner enough without a cheater (plus 10 minutes to get the old belt out of the engine compartment).

The old belt was in such good condition that I decided not to do the PS belt - which is easier to inspect. I saved the old belt to keep in the van in case of an emergency.

Now, I think I better change the original battery - 6 years is a pretty long time for one to last.

Bob F

7. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements