Jiffylube engine sludge
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jiffylube engine sludge

Question Jiffylube engine sludge

Jiffy lube offers an enginge sludge cleaning. Is this something thats harmful to do to an Ody. I have an 01 EX that I just recently purchased but I don't have a maintenance history on it. I bought it with 35700 miles. I'm worried that the previous owner might not of kept up with the maint. I have a brother-in-law who leases cars and changes the oil maybe 3 times in that amount of miles. I'm a fanatic when it comes to fluid changes. I've already replaced the trans fluid,oil,radiator fluid,and power steering fluid. Just wondering if this engine sludge procedure is safe and worth it. Oh yes forgot to mention this is a certified car with honda care ext. warranty
    Last edited by tonyp28840; 03-09-2005 at 10:21 PM.
    01 ODY- Tony

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Don't bother, Odys do just fine with 7500 mile oil change intervals. I know you will want to obsess about this and you are welcome to change more often, say 3750-5000. But a Honda will go to over 200k with the 7500 interval. A Honda dealer using Honda oil is using semi-synthetic. But whatever you do, stay away from jiffy lube.

02-RRP-EX
    Save your money. It's probably not worth it.

Smile Shiny side up

Take of the oil filler cap and take a look around inside with a
    good flashlight. If it looks clean you are probably don't need it.

Re: Shiny side up

Originally posted by babylon5
    Take of the oil filler cap and take a look around inside with a
    good flashlight. If it looks clean you are probably don't need it.
    Ditto that.
    Accordian
    2003 SS LX

Thanx for the replies. I don't use Jiffy lube, I was told of this by a neighbor who swears by Jiffy lube. I was just worried about engine sludge because of not having the maint. hist on the car. If the prev. owner was anything like my brother-in-law it would be scary. LOL
    01 ODY- Tony

Be very leery of those engine sludging services. They are profit centers for jiffy lube and the dealers. If you have been maintaing your ody and changing the oil you will not need it. If by chance you abuse your vehicle or it is prone to sludging, the flushes can actually loosen too much of the stuff and the sludge can block vital oil passages that can then starve your engine of oil. I know of people who got those engine flushes and soon after the engine light came on and the engine seized.

Likewise with the tranny flushing services. A reputable transmission specailist was telling me that it is better to change the fluid more often if you want to make sure it is clean. The problem with the flushes is if they do it improperlty it can flush crud back into the transmission damaging vital components. If you have a car that has a filter that is accessible, be sure they drop the pan drain and clean before they do the flush. Again, I know too many people who did the tranny flush and then have there trannys fail.

Best thing is do the regular maintenance then you will not need to do all these fancy flushes

If you are concerned about sludge, in your engine, use risolone in a few oil changes as it milder at cleaning the engines. For tranny's just replace the fluid more often.
    tdpark

tonyp28840:

You've left out brake fluid.

How does Jiffy Lube remove sludge. If it can be done without removal of engine then why does Toyota have to rebuild those sludged engines?
    Was: 2000 Odyssey LX
    Now: 2005 Civic LX 4D AT

Haven't had a chance to change it yet. Ford dealers offer this service also. I own an Explorer also (A POS) if you know what I mean! The way ford explained it to me they drain the oil from your engine and run a chemical heated in a machine and pump it through your engine until it comes out clean.Ford said that it removes sludge from your engine. I don't know and DON'T TRUST ford as far as I can throw them, that's why when I saw an ad for jiffy Lube I thought I might ask about this procedure. I've done all the maintainence on my ford and keep extensive records as far as my ODY I purchased it used (certified) and was wondering if the previous owner maintained the van. I have no records of the maintainenceand neither does the dealer.
    01 ODY- Tony

My original point, which I left out was that very little damage would be done to a neglected Ody in 36k. If it had been abused, you would have felt that and not even bought it. An abused Honda is gutless. This can be accomplished by reving the engine cold. Daily.

Thank you I was worried over nothing. I plan to keep my ody running for a longtime!. I have a friend who's a car dealer and he laughs when he sees me, he says he loses money on people like me. I buy a car and he wont see me for another 15 years. I take care of my cars and keep them going for years. The ody is the first used car I bought in a long time hope I can break a record with it.
    01 ODY- Tony

What does the oil look like on the dipstick? If it's black, change it and watch how quickly it changes color with the fresh oil. If it's translucent, the engine is probably quite clean and in good shape.

My '03 at 60,000 miles barely changes color between changes every 5000 (cause it's so easy to remember.

Toyota rebuilds it's sludged V6 engines due to a design flaw.

I'm thinking that by now they have reworked that engine and it doesn't have the same problem. (don't know for sure)

Anyway this oil sludge problem was a problem for 2002 sienna's, camrys, and every car/truck that used that specific V6 engine.
    2002 Honda Odyssey LX
    White
    Helm/Honda OEM manual .... Not the be all and end all source for service, check this forum for (more) complete details on service tasks before starting any maintenance.

I thought you might find this interesting. Here is an excerpt from a GM Technician newsletter:

"Bulletin 04-06-01-029 was recently released to reinforce GMs position on system-flushing tools, equipment and procedures.

Please read the bulletin in detail and observe its contents. Highlights are mentioned here.

Flushing Not in Maintenance Schedule
    In normal usage, GM vehicles do not require additional procedures or additives beyond whats presented in the former Vehicle Maintenance Schedules and the current Simplified Maintenance Schedules. Maintenance schedules do not call for flushing of engine crankcases, fuel injectors, A/C lines, radiators, transmission coolers, brake systems, or power steering systems as a part of regular scheduled maintenance.

TIP: Do not confuse aftermarket flushing machines with the fluid-changing equipment available from Kent-Moore/SPX. Fluid-changing equipment is designed to aid and accelerate fluid changing when required, as part of a specific repair performed, or when directed to do so in the former Vehicle Maintenance Schedule or current Simplified Maintenance Schedule.

GM Service Instructions
    If a specific model vehicle or powertrain need is identified, GM will issue an Authorized Service Document specifying the procedure, machine, tool or chemical needed to accomplish the proper vehicle servicing.

An example of this is fuel injector cleaning, which may be necessary due to fuel quality in different parts of the country. Under normal circumstances, though, this is not part of the scheduled maintenance requirements.

Crankcase Flushing
    Crankcase flushing is not endorsed or recommended for any GM gasoline or diesel engine. Some aftermarket materials for this purpose may be incompatible with engine components, and may damage some engine seals and bearings. Damage of this sort is not covered under the new vehicle warranty.

Other Systems
    Other subsystems, such as power steering, A/C, or cooling systems may be flushed after catastrophic failure or extreme corrosion. Specific bulletins or procedures in SI exist to cover these conditions. Routine flushing of these systems is not part of the scheduled maintenance requirements."

http://www.gmtechlink.com/images/iss...TLcme.html#f17

I would think most engine manufacturers would take similar positions. Sometimes I wish Honda had a site like GM Techlink. Even if you don't own a GM, they seem to always post something kind of interesting....
    Doug --05 Ody Touring/Sage Brush Pearl--

If you change your own oil, you can try this I guess, or maybe you can put it in before you go to some place to change the oil.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aef.aspx
    2002 Mazda MPV ES Zoom-Zoom
    1999 Chrysler 300M Affordable Luxury

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements