Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Maintenance Required Light

25K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  NewOdyGuy 
#1 ·
My 2004 Ody EXL just passed the 6000 miles mark (also 1 year) and I notice the "Main't Req'd" light comes on everytime when I start my van. I suppose the "Main't Req'd" light means my first oil change is due?

1. Do I have to bring by van back to a Honda dealer for my first oil change? Is it recommended?

2. If I change the oil myself, will the "Main't Req'd" light go off by itself? If not, how can I reset it to turn it off?

Thanks in advance for your help!

NewOdyGuy

#2 ·
You can change the oil yourself and the owner's manual tells you how to reset the maint. required light.

I believe you hold the reset button down (next to your speedometer/tach) and turn the key to the on position (do not start). Keep holding the reset button down for about 5 seconds. This should reset the maint. required light.

#3 ·
Read your owners manual, it will tell you how to reset. If the car is 1 year old and you have yet to change the oil, you should change it. You do not need to go the dealer for the oil change.

The owners manual will tell you how to reset the light. Be sure to check the maintenance schedule in the owners manual for what needs to be done at the apporpriate mileage.

Since you drive so litte, you car may fall in the severe duty category as small short trips are harder on the car than highway miles. Also if you car is not being driven alot, you may want them to check the brakes to make sure the calipers are not sticking

#4 ·
Thanks a lot guys for your help. I did look thru the owner manual last night and did not find how to reset the light. I'll go thru the manual again and see I can find the method mentioned below.

Also, thank you for the heads up for the short distance driving. Actually all my mileage are from a couple of very long trips.

NewOdyGuy

#5 ·
Same thing applies but you have other concerns as components that get lubricated from everyday use will dry out and then you have non lubricated parts on non lubricated parts on start up which will wear things out faster than if you drove it everyday.

Most engine damage occurs in the first few seconds you start your car when there is no oil is flowing. If you can try, and drive the car more regularly. Also the AC needs to be run as the freon has a lubricant to keep the AC seals from leaking.

Lack of driving has its own complications. My parents do not do alot of driving and there cars have had problems due to lack of use like mufflers rusting out prematurely, calipers seizing up on brakes due to the calipers pins rusting up.

#6 ·
Use 'em or lose 'em!;)

Jerry O.

#7 ·
I would recommend calling around to several dealers to find one who charges a reasonable amount for an oil change. This gets you a couple of things. One is that the dealer will use the right oil and filter. The other is that a dealer tech will check the whole van. Even if they want you to pay for a "service", you can decline that in favor of just an oil change and get a complete check over anyway. That said, rotating the tires wouldn't be bad. Odys are too complex to avoid dealers completely, contrary to the opinions of the rugged individualists on here. An added bonus is a record of service that can be accessed nationwide and the possibility of help when you need it.

My opinion is influenced by having had quicky oil changes places screw things up and independents actually charge more than the dealer. My local dealer changes oil for $30. including a wash.

#8 ·
Once again thank you for the advice guys. I just received a coupon from my local Honda dealer for $29.99 + tax for oil change. I probably won't save that much by taking it to Jiffy Lube or do it myself (~ $10 saving I think). Just to be on the safe side I'll let the local Honda dealer do it.

NewOdyGuy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.