FOLLOWING THE MANUFACTURERS RECOMMENDED SERVICE
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FOLLOWING THE MANUFACTURERS RECOMMENDED SERVICE

Cool FOLLOWING THE MANUFACTURERS RECOMMENDED SERVICE

Hi,
    My 2000 EX has just hit 15,000 miles, i am trying to follow the manufacturers recommendations since i have the Honda Care extended warranty. They pretty much want you to do all maintenance, this service is a couple of hundred $$$$$$$$'s, i really think Honda is very overpriced on this service...any suggestions????

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

If you think Honda's bad, you should try a Mercedes.

Get the service. You cared enough to buy the warranty (which wasn't cheap), so why is this a hard question for you?

If the dealer's trying to add a bunch of stuff over what your manual suggests, then get a second opinion.
    '01 SS Honda Odyssey EX
    '99 F150 XL Supercab
    '00 Kawasaki ZR-7

Thumbs up

Thanks for your opinion...By the way, i bought the warranty on-line from an upstate new york Honda dealer for the 7 year 100,000 zero deductible for $835.00, all the dealers in Florida wanted $1460.00 for the exact same warranty!!!!!!!!!! Talk about dealer mark-up!!

Post the URL! I'm in the market for the warranty.

I thought the dealer cost for the Honda Care warranty was around $845 or so.

------------------
    Jim
    '01 GG EX
    Jim
    '01 GG EX w/stuff
    '93 Nissan Sentra SE-R w/way too much stuff
    '99 GMC Sierra w/Cadillac Escalade handles ... bla-BLING!

Lightbulb

I do not have the URL (I do not think there is one) but if you e-mail upstateHonda@aol.com request prices, they are by far the cheapest as down here wanted between $1400.00 & $ 1460.00 for the same warranty...These prices were from last April or May so i do not know if they have gone up.......Let me know if prices have changed

Upstate New York Honda wants $1199 for the 7 year 100000 miles zero deductible Honda Care warranty now.

The URL below lists a couple of places that advertise the Honda Care Warranty at 895. I called Brandon Winfree at Rusty Wallis Honda in Dallas and he said the price had gone up to 905 I think. I showed a print-out of the web page to the finance guy at Honda of Clear Lake and he matched the 895 price for 7/100,000/0. (Originally, the sales rep had quoted around 1,400.)

http://www.1netweb.com/checklist.htm

Rusty Wallis Honda in Dallas, TX
    (214) 348-7500
    (214) 328-8809 fax
    www.thehondaking.com

Here's a list of dealers that will sell you the HondaCare 100/7/0 warranty either by e-mail or phone. I collected this list from the Edmunds forum as I was doing research to purchase the warranty and have updated the prices and phone numbers as of Feb. 8, 2001. Note that it doesn't matter what dealer sells you the warranty. Present this information to your dealer, he may match the price.

If you know you will be driving the van over 20K miles per year it is much more cost effective to get a 5 year/100K warranty for about $200 less.

Honda doesn't sell a warranty for more than 100K miles.

If your van is over 2 years old and has more than 18-24K miles then you will pay more.

Union Park Honda (Wilmington, DE) - Greg Allen <GJV152@aol.com> (302) 573-5222 - $925

Saratoga Honda (NY) - David Winnie (518) 587-9300 - $975

Hatfield Honda (Maumee, OH) - Don Towle (419) 893-5581 $925 + $57.21 tax = $982.21

Burns Honda (Marlton, NJ) - Harry, finance (856) 983-0600 - $995

Hoehn Honda (San Diego) - Robert Lennick (760) 438-1818 - $1025

Empire Honda (Denver) - Jim Duvall (303) 399-1950 - $1025

Question

Fellow Ody owners,

I will be getting my 15,000 mile service done in less two months. I was wondering two things: (1) how much did the dealer charge you? and (2) the service advisor says that the valves on this motor is self adjusting and that they will not perform it at this 15K service (although it says that lifters and valves will be adjusted, on the flier). Is the advisor blowing a lot of smoke? Thanks in advance.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DTKWOK:
    Fellow Ody owners,

I will be getting my 15,000 mile service done in less two months. I was wondering two things: (1) how much did the dealer charge you? and (2) the service advisor says that the valves on this motor is self adjusting and that they will not perform it at this 15K service (although it says that lifters and valves will be adjusted, on the flier). Is the advisor blowing a lot of smoke? Thanks in advance.
    </font>
    I just had the 15K service done on my 00 EX and it ran me about $180.00. That was for the severe service schedule. My delear uses a service sheet provided by Honda to show you exactly what they did. It mirrors the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual. I don't have it with me so I can't answer anything about the valve adjustment.
    00 EX - Taffeta White
    MacNeil Deflector, Weathertech Mats, Mud Guards, Panavise Phone Holder,
    Cheerios and Goldfish on floor and under car seats.

personally, i think some of the things they do is redicious. they charge $200 to change the oil, and pretty much look at everything and make sure its fine. and with our experience, we got honda care for a civic.. and never used it.

Take the manual with you and only allow the dealer to do what is called for at that mileage. I'm sure a valve adjustment is not called for on that motor, at that mileage. The valves are NOT self-adjusting and there is a time when an adjustment check is called for, but it is way down the road. Also, just because you have an extended warranty, you do not have to have that work done at a dealership. You can have it done by any shop, or you can do it yourself (says so right in the owner's manual), as long as you save all your receipts and keep a good log on all you do.

Jerry O.

------------------
    2001 Odyssey GG LX
    2001 GG LX w/MacNeil Deflector and front window deflectors; MacNeil LampGuards; Michelin XGTH4s, size 235/60HR16.

I just checked the Honda checklist and it says:

"NOTE: Except for the 105,000 mile interval, check/adjust valves only if noisy."

00 EX - Taffeta White
    MacNeil Deflector, Weathertech Mats, Mud Guards, Panavise Phone Holder,
    Cheerios and Goldfish on floor and under car seats.

Thank you all for your reply. Guess I'll look for another dealership since they tried to convince me that the valves are self-adjusting (note to self: read manual first). Thanks again.

Oh one more thing, I noticed that they change the tranny fluid at 15K, but there is no mention of the (tranny) filter being changed.

I'm one of those that rarely trust the dealer (I've seen too many over-fills, misplaced parts and unfinished jobs). So can DIY'ers perform the 15K tranny maintenance? I thought I read somewhere that to truly flush all the fluid requires some special consideration. Is it true or can a shade-tree do it? I do not have the manual in front of me so I don't know all the items for the 15K "check-up."

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements