LubeGard products..........
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LubeGard products..........

Post LubeGard products..........

Have any of you used LubeGard products? I know a lot of additives are "snake oil", but, this line seems to make some sense. I first got onto it on the DC repair board, where they discussed adding one of the products to Dexron ATF to make it compatible with Chrysler transmissions. They also claim the same for Hondas. Of course, I would not use anything as a base fluid other than the genuine Honda stuff, but, their "automatic transmission protectant" (red bottle) seems like a good thing. I used it in my '94 Caravan transmission (well known for early failure) and it is still shifting like new at 80K miles. I also used their power steering supplement and the steering has remained perfect to this day. (the van is still in the family)

The reason I am pondering this stuff for my Odyssey is that the power steering systems seem to be a bit marginal (there have been failures from heat in trailer towing applications) and their stuff claims to cause the systems to operate cooler. Ditto, for the transmission. The tech I spoke to told me they had seen some trouble with the transmissions getting grouchy and not wanting to shift properly. It would seem that the added lubricity of the additive would be helpful and it also is said to offer cooler running.

Yes, I know claim there is everything in the ATF that is necessary, but, with some units failing out there, one wonders.......... You can check it out on their website, www.lubegard.com.

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX
    2001 GG LX w/MacNeil Deflector and front window deflectors; MacNeil LampGuards; Michelin XGTH4s, size 235/60HR16.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerry O:
    Have any of you used LubeGard products? I know a lot of additives are "snake oil", but, this line seems to make some sense. I first got onto it on the DC repair board, where they discussed adding one of the products to Dexron ATF to make it compatible with Chrysler transmissions. They also claim the same for Hondas. Of course, I would not use anything as a base fluid other than the genuine Honda stuff, but, their "automatic transmission protectant" (red bottle) seems like a good thing. I used it in my '94 Caravan transmission (well known for early failure) and it is still shifting like new at 80K miles. I also used their power steering supplement and the steering has remained perfect to this day. (the van is still in the family)

The reason I am pondering this stuff for my Odyssey is that the power steering systems seem to be a bit marginal (there have been failures from heat in trailer towing applications) and their stuff claims to cause the systems to operate cooler. Ditto, for the transmission. The tech I spoke to told me they had seen some trouble with the transmissions getting grouchy and not wanting to shift properly. It would seem that the added lubricity of the additive would be helpful and it also is said to offer cooler running.

Yes, I know claim there is everything in the ATF that is necessary, but, with some units failing out there, one wonders.......... You can check it out on their website, www.lubegard.com.

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX
    </font>
    Jerry,

After a fair amount of research, I decided to try Lubegard ATF additive in my Volvo 850. I added it when I did a tranny flush, and I also used Mobil 1 synthetic fluid instead of regular dino tranny fluid. I had lots of late shifting problems that have pretty much disappeared, but I can't say if it is the Mobil 1 or the Lubegard, although I suspect that it is the former. I decided that the worst that would happen is that I would have a "belt and suspenders" solution-the Mobil 1 is supposed to keep the tranny cooler by itself, and so if the Lubegard lowers the operating temp a bit more, so much the better. All I know is that my '95 850 now shifts almost as smooth as it did when I bought it, so I am a happy camper. I am now investigating a moaning sound in the power steering pump area that I get at startup, so I may give the PS additive a try and see what happens. Based on my experience with the Volvo, I will probably also flush and replace the tranny fluid with Mobil 1/Lubegard when the time comes-a tranny flush for the Ody looks almost as easy as it is on my Volvo. Hope this helps you with your decision.

Jeff, AKA Odyfox

2001 EX
    iVES
    Infinity 652s/452s/105ts
    Honda Wood Dash
    Wheel Locks
    Cargo Mat
    Cargo Cover
    Roof Rails
    Cassette Player
    Heartland console
    Foglights
    Tranny Cooler
    Kelton Sub
    Honda wood/leather steering wheel

Desparately Needed:
    Functional Cup Holders

Jeff, keep us posted re LubeGard in your vehicles. I just may clear up that moan in the Volvo. I would be interested in the Mobil-1 in the Honda, as well. Do they recommend it for use in Hondas? Hondas and DCs use slicker ATF than the others, so I would suppose that the Mobil would be fine.

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX
    2001 GG LX w/MacNeil Deflector and front window deflectors; MacNeil LampGuards; Michelin XGTH4s, size 235/60HR16.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerry O:
    Jeff, keep us posted re LubeGard in your vehicles. I just may clear up that moan in the Volvo. I would be interested in the Mobil-1 in the Honda, as well. Do they recommend it for use in Hondas? Hondas and DCs use slicker ATF than the others, so I would suppose that the Mobil would be fine.

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX
    </font>
    Jerry,

I will most likely be looking at the front end moan in the very near future, although it doesn't seem to be getting worse. Besides the PS flush, I also plan to add a high flow Supersprint exhaust, Mobil 1 syn oil, an ECU upgrade, front and rear Konis and a sway bar upgrade, so my Volvo list is almost as long as my Ody's was until recently. My main problem is finding the time-work is the curse of the modding class!

------------------
    2001 EX
    iVES
    Infinity 652s/452s/105ts
    Honda Wood Dash
    Wheel Locks
    Cargo Tray
    Cargo Mat
    Cargo Cover
    Roof Rails
    Cassette Player
    Heartland console
    Foglights
    Tranny Cooler

Coming up: In dash 6 CD Changer
    Glove Box Light
    Kelton Sub
    2001 EX
    iVES
    Infinity 652s/452s/105ts
    Honda Wood Dash
    Wheel Locks
    Cargo Mat
    Cargo Cover
    Roof Rails
    Cassette Player
    Heartland console
    Foglights
    Tranny Cooler
    Kelton Sub

Desparately Needed:
    Functional Cup Holders

Can someone explain why towing would be hard on power steering? The only way I could see a problem is if there was a lot on jockeying around trying to back a trailer up etc, where there was no air passing over the PS cooler. That type of maneuver can also blow a tranny in some vehicles. (So can backing uphill). I have towed fifth wheel and standard trailers for years with pickup trucks without an aux. PS cooler and no problems and little extra effort on steering.

Thanks
    Al

Higher underhood temperatures are the only thing I can think of which would be detrimental to the PS unit. If that is the case, the system must be designed with little margin of safety and be operating close to the edge when in hot weather, whether (no play on words) towing or not. That is one reason I have mentioned the LubeGard products, which are said to help the system run a little cooler.

Jerry O.

------------------
    2001 Odyssey GG LX

Looks like LubeGard has additive/converter for transmission fluid and power steering fluid for Honda applications. What about brake fluid?
    Was: 2000 Odyssey LX
    Now: 2005 Civic LX 4D AT

It looks like you would use the Lubegard red bottle (ATF Protectorant ) the Lubegard Platinum Unversal Protectorant if you are using Honda brand ATF. Howver I don't quite understand how Lubegard Platinum could work as well (being "universal") . Any Lubegard users here ?

The instructions that came with our DrawTite load leveling hitch said not to overload the front wheels. "Measure from ground to fender well both front and rear before hitching and return front to neutral only unless rear drops more than an inch".
    "Drop front no more than 1/2 inch in any case". Some weight is transferred to the trailer wheels as well of course.

This is all done with the tow vehicle loaded as it will be for towing- passengers and all. I guess you have a neighbor sit in your place.
    02 GG-LX SPBB (Self-Propelled Bicycle Box)

Honda hitch, coolers, security/door locks, airbags etc.

I think there is some confusion about what LubeGuard ATF fluid does. It is designed to convert Dexron into Honda-spec ATF. For this reason, I fail to see why adding more of it to Honda ATF would be of any use. You would be better off just replacing the old fluid with Honda ATF. Admittedly, the standard drain-and-fill only replaces 1/3 of the fluid but if you do it relatively frequently (every six months or so) you would accomplish the same thing as the machines that flush and replace in one service. Quite often these machines use Dexron so that is why LubeGuard offers their product.

Originally posted by sfearing
    I think there is some confusion about what LubeGuard ATF fluid does. It is designed to convert Dexron into Honda-spec ATF. For this reason, I fail to see why adding more of it to Honda ATF would be of any use. You would be better off just replacing the old fluid with Honda ATF. Admittedly, the standard drain-and-fill only replaces 1/3 of the fluid but if you do it relatively frequently (every six months or so) you would accomplish the same thing as the machines that flush and replace in one service. Quite often these machines use Dexron so that is why LubeGuard offers their product.
    Yes, LubeGard has a product to convert Dexron to Honda or Chrysler compatability, but, the red bottle is NOT that product. The red bottle is touted as a "protectant" to be used in ANY ATF, to help with lubrication and cooling. The Mopar van in our family which is using it is now up to 92K miles and shifting as well as when new. It has had fluid/filter changes (pan off and around 1/2 the fluid changed) at 30K intervals. Not bad, for a notoriously failure prone gearbox! Is anyone out there using the red bottle stuff in a Honda automatic?

Jerry O.
    UFCW Retired
    UNION, YES!!!
    (The labor movement, the folks who brought you the weekend)

2014 Celestial Blue EX-L + 19" Advanti B1 wheels w/ 245/50-19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires, a WeatherTech cargo mat w/ added "bumper bib", a ScanGauge II and a nice large basket in place of the difficult to use front console. AirLift kit #60815 and DashMat dash cover (black to beat windshield reflection) added.

2006 Ocean Mist Metallic EX gone to live with daughter and family in Illinois

Lubegard

So, what's the difference between LUBEGARD® PLATINUM Universal ATF Protectant and LUBEGARD® HFM-ATF SUPPLEMENT?
    Was: 2000 Odyssey LX
    Now: 2005 Civic LX 4D AT

If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck....
    I'm sorry, but it sounds like snake oil to me. The engine oil additive claims to eliminate cold starts...how do you do that? Maybe I am being picky, but it claims too much. And the charts showing various oils improvements with the additive really looks made up, such wild variations in friction improvement and wear reduction. Just the fact that they show that Slick 50 and Duralube show improvements over regular oil makes me suspicious, since I've seen test data showing just the opposite. I know you think this is belts and suspenders, but what if you are screwing up the additive balance of the lubricants and actually making things worse? Just my .02 worth.
    John
    2001 Odyssey

I have just added LUBEGARD® PLATINUM to the tranny of my 2001 Ody EX (and my 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE). This stuff is highly regarded by many of the local tranny rebuilders (the same bunch who also agree that most of the stuff from Duralube...Slick50 etc. is crap). I actually have a considerable amount of literature on this product which helped convince me to try it.

Its biggest benefit is in reducing friction and improving the heat transfer capability of the existing tranny fluid. This helps reduce tranny temps by 20F - 40F which increases tranny longevity. In their literature, they refer to a TSB from SAAB that recommends adding Lubegard to quiet a moaning during 1st to 2nd gear auto tranny shifts. I guess even SAAB is convinced it ain't snake oil!

Originally posted by phil47
    I have just added LUBEGARD® PLATINUM to the tranny of my 2001 Ody EX (and my 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE). This stuff is highly regarded by many of the local tranny rebuilders (the same bunch who also agree that most of the stuff from Duralube...Slick50 etc. is crap). I actually have a considerable amount of literature on this product which helped convince me to try it.

Its biggest benefit is in reducing friction and improving the heat transfer capability of the existing tranny fluid. This helps reduce tranny temps by 20F - 40F which increases tranny longevity. In their literature, they refer to a TSB from SAAB that recommends adding Lubegard to quiet a moaning during 1st to 2nd gear auto tranny shifts. I guess even SAAB is convinced it ain't snake oil!
    It worked well for me in the Caravan I had and I hope it is good in the Odyssey as well. Let us know if you see any downside to it.

Jerry O.
    UFCW Retired
    UNION, YES!!!
    (The labor movement, the folks who brought you the weekend)

2014 Celestial Blue EX-L + 19" Advanti B1 wheels w/ 245/50-19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires, a WeatherTech cargo mat w/ added "bumper bib", a ScanGauge II and a nice large basket in place of the difficult to use front console. AirLift kit #60815 and DashMat dash cover (black to beat windshield reflection) added.

2006 Ocean Mist Metallic EX gone to live with daughter and family in Illinois

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements