Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Timing Belt-How to Tell If It's Been Replaced

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  0dyfamily 
#1 · (Edited)
I have 2008, purchased last year with 130k miles on it, limited access to maint. records. Now sitting at 156k, I just replaced the serp belt and removed the top timing belt cover to examine the timing belt b/c I don't know if or when it was replaced. I spun the starter over to examine the entire belt. No visible cracking or heavy wear other than nominal glazing. On the belt, I could still make out the printed blue "HONDA" labeling with belt info on it. My question is this. If the belt had never been changed, would I be able to see any labeling at all or would it, at 156k miles be completely worn off? Or can I make a good guess since there is clearly visible writing that the belt has been replaced, hopefully at the recommended 90k service? Any advice is appreciated.

#2 ·
Most timing belts still look new as you described even when they are removed for replacement after a full service cycle.

Without maintenance records, I don't know if you can determine if the TB is original or has been replaced.

Dave

#3 ·
I ordered genuine Honda timing belts for the last two timing belt replacements I accomplished in the last couple years. The lettering was pink, there was the usual HONDA upper case script, and a stylized oval with "Gates" present within.

Gates Rubber makes genuine Honda timing belts for their U.S. replacement parts market. I'm thinking yours is the original belt, if it's got blue block lettering only.

Like dave says, there's no real way to tell without service records.

OF

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.