Transmission fill plug.....
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Transmission fill plug.....

Cool Transmission fill plug.....

I have been trying to remove the fill plug on the transmission in the '06 and have had to try several things before I could get it out. The problem is that one cannot get a straight shot at it due to the master cylinder being right over the top of it. I tried a 12-point socket and a universal joint, but could not keep the socket on the hex and was in danger of rounding it off. Next, I bought a crow-foot wrench, which gave me sufficient offset that the extensions were vertical, but that, too, was rounding the hex. I finally bought a six-point (I'm not that slow a learner, I just did not have one in my poorly stocked tool kit) and used an old 1/2" drive flex handle, which happens to have a female 1/2" drive on the handle end. That was perfect, since it was just the right length and had the usual flex joint (maybe that is why it is called a "flex handle" by most and a "breaker or break-over bar by others ). I happen to have two such flex handles, so I hooked the second one to my newly discovered extension and broke it loose. I did not have anything to use as a "cheater" extension, so it was really hard to break it loose. It will never be that tight again!

Jerry O.
    UFCW Retired
    UNION, YES!!!
    (The labor movement, the folks who brought you the weekend)

2014 Celestial Blue EX-L + 19" Advanti B1 wheels w/ 245/50-19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires, a WeatherTech cargo mat w/ added "bumper bib", a ScanGauge II and a nice large basket in place of the difficult to use front console. AirLift kit #60815 and DashMat dash cover (black to beat windshield reflection) added.

2006 Ocean Mist Metallic EX gone to live with daughter and family in Illinois

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Honda continues to torque the ATF filler bolt like it was a spring hanger on a big rig!! There's no need. Glad you got it out Jerry. Rounding the head is the big danger, just ahead of skinned knuckles.

- Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission at 117,000 miles/189,000 km, Amsoil ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, Magnefine aux ATF filter, 16 ATF drain & fills

dipstick - no tools needed to remove.

A .99 baster from wall-to-wall mart and you can fill in just a few minutes.

I'm too much of a wimp to tackle that fill plug (and I save on the washer).
    '07 EX-L R&N Nimbus Gray
    '07 Accord EX-L Navi Alabaster Silver Metallic
    '07 Accord SE Royal Blue

Trans Fill Plug

Jerry, why do you need to remove the fill plug now on your 06?
    A. B.
    '05 Odyssey Touring
    '03 Acura TLs
    '96 Ford Ranger Pickup
    '78 Ford 1000 Tractor

Re: Trans Fill Plug

Originally posted by abhair
    Jerry, why do you need to remove the fill plug now on your 06?
    'Cause it is there, A.B. I knew it would be tough and did not want to wait until the day I was doing my maintenance to find that I did not have the horsepower to do the job. I plan to do a drain and fill at every other oil change as I did on our '01, so I will have that plug out many times. As for the washer issue, I never change that one since there is not chance of a leak. Yes, one certainly can do the job with a baster in the dipstick tube, but, since Honda installed a plug, I will use it.

Jerry O.
    UFCW Retired
    UNION, YES!!!

2014 Celestial Blue EX-L + 19" Advanti B1 wheels w/ 245/50-19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires, a WeatherTech cargo mat w/ added "bumper bib", a ScanGauge II and a nice large basket in place of the difficult to use front console. AirLift kit #60815 and DashMat dash cover (black to beat windshield reflection) added.

Trans Drain Plug

OK!!, (and I thought I was persnickity)
    A. B.
    '05 Odyssey Touring
    '03 Acura TLs
    '96 Ford Ranger Pickup
    '78 Ford 1000 Tractor

Must have the same gorilla working the assembly line as they did in 2002. That was one ugly bolt to break loose.
    2012 EX (hers) 03 LX (reserve force)
    2013 Chevy Cruze Eco (stick!) commuting average 40mpg

Gone:Caddy CTS (neutered, aka auto trans), Jetta 1.8T (stick!),95 & 02 Saturn SL (stick!)

Yeah, I'll bet the fella looks like our governator used to look.

Jerry O.
    UFCW Retired
    UNION, YES!!!

OK, I have to add a note. I read all the above parts to this thread, and went out to loosen the fill plug on my '06 Ody. My plan is -- not to do 3X fills every 30K, but to do 1X fills every 10K. Pretty easy, but filling through the dipstick is pretty slow. So, on my '06 Ody EX-L, yes it takes a 17mm socket. Really, you should use a 6-point socket or surely you will round the head of this hex-fill-nut because indeed some Gorilla at the factory did crank it on insanely tight. On my '06 Ody my socket extensions fit down nicely onto this 17mm nut - but that never-before-loosened nut was so tight that I twisted-off one of the 3/8 extensions. So, I went to 1/2 inch drive, whose thicker extensions did the trick. That nut is on crazy-tight, but if you expect it then you will be prepared for using a breaker-bar, or something else - I suggest a breaker bar, half-inch socket tools, with a pipe extension. It will pop, then be loose, in my case forevermore never be that tight. Hope this might help someone else to be ready for a tight as hell nut, and to use a 1/2 drive socket extension because you might twist-off a 3/8 drive like I did. Otherwise, when informed, that nut will pop loose when properly assualted. Salutations to this great board which has helped my a lot over the years !

HHC123
    Michigan
    2006 EXL Ody, 96K
    2009 LX Ody, my truck, 222K
    1997 Camry
    1986 Harley FXRS
    1975 Olds Convert
    John Deer 316
    Hamilton Beach Blender
    Dustbuster Vacuum

11. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com