Battery Replacement Instructions
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery Replacement Instructions

Battery Replacement Instructions

Just picked up a new battery since the OEM was diagnosed 2x as bad by dealer during routine service. We never had a problem with it turning over, but it's fixin' to snow here and we don't wan't to get stuck.

It's an '02 EXL with 51K miles. I know the radio will have to be reset, but I read another post that talked about resetting or saving the other computer codes.

Is there something else I need to do? Or is this just unhook the old, hook up the new and be on my way?

Yes I searched and I don't have time to read all the battery posts to find if the answer is even there. The Owner's Manual only mentions the radio code.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

You will need the radio code and you should do the idle learn procedure. Search on idle learn procedure.
    2004 EX Odyssey.
    All posts made by me are in reference to the gen 2 Odyssey.

When you search Idle Learn Procedure, most of the posts say "search for Idle Learn Procedure".

Anyway, from the scarce info I could find looks like that is just letting it sit and idle for about 5-10 minutes.

Sounds easy enough.

Thanks

OK. The idle learn procedure consists of:
    1 turn off all electrical devices.

2. Start engine and hold at 3000 rpm until fan comes on or engine reaches 194 degrees.

3. Let engine idle for 5 minutes with no load

4. If fan cycles during this time do not include its running time in the 5 minutes

And I must say anyone who plans to service their own van should invest in the OEM service manual. AT $72 it is far cheaper than any service call performed by your dealer.......
    2004 EX Odyssey.
    All posts made by me are in reference to the gen 2 Odyssey.

Thanks for the step by step.

I agree the service manual is a good investment for home mechanics. Other than changing wiper blades, cabin filter and I thought the battery, I don't plan on doing much else. It's cheaper for me to have the service done.

I've worked on cars for many years from changing oil to engines and transmissions, brakes and yes many batteries.

But now, if I can't step out in the garage and change something in a matter of minutes, economically I am better off paying to having it done right the first time.

Thanks again for the step by step on the idle procedure. Now that dam$ radio code....

What would happen if you just replace the battery and punch in the radio code and not going thru this idle learn procedure?
    Does all the battery shop perform this idle learn procedure? Will dealer do it if they replace the Ody battery? Isn't there some preset idle RPM in the Ody computer?
    '01 GG EX 87 k miles
    Mud Guard, Wheel Lock, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats, Leather Steerling Wheel Cover, Pioneer 1655 front speakers, 1086 rear speakers, Weathertech Cargo Liner, Lojack, Garmin NUVI 650, New Tranny @ 60K, Engine Mount @ 75K

This idle-learn procedure is much ado about nothing in my experience - I've disconnected the battery on our '03 Odyssey on several occasions - on reconnection the engine has started, run and idled perfectly from the get-go as if the battery had never been disconnected in the first place.

Settings/Memory saver

I have seen adds for a battery settings saver. Looks like a 9v battery hooked onto a cigarette lighter plug. This is supposed to eliminate any need to reset...

I never noticed an difference in our '01 after a battery disconnect.

Jerry O.
    UFCW Retired
    UNION, YES!!!
    (The labor movement, the folks who brought you the weekend)

2014 Celestial Blue EX-L + 19" Advanti B1 wheels w/ 245/50-19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires, a WeatherTech cargo mat w/ added "bumper bib", a ScanGauge II and a nice large basket in place of the difficult to use front console. AirLift kit #60815 and DashMat dash cover (black to beat windshield reflection) added.

2006 Ocean Mist Metallic EX gone to live with daughter and family in Illinois

I believe that the LX model's radio is not affected by disconnecting the battery.

This idle-learn procedure is much ado about nothing in my experience - I've disconnected the battery on our '03 Odyssey on several occasions - on reconnection the engine has started, run and idled perfectly from the get-go as if the battery had never been disconnected in the first place.

I did the battery yesterday. I was in Seattle Thursday and was able to stop by the dealer and get the radio code. Pissed me off. They said I had to come down with my ID. It took the girl about 30 seconds to pull the file and give me the number. Never asked for ID. I asked why you couldn't have given it over the phone "we're not allowed" she replied. I just don't get it.

Anyway, I replaced the battery yesterday. I did the radio code and ran through the idle procedure. I was worried about having to reprogram the homelink. It worked, however! It seems disconnecting the battery had no effect on it. Cool!

Battery is kind of a pain to get out. The hood post is right in the way and I had to move a cable. It's hard to get a hold of to lift it out.

To answer about how the dealer does it, I asked. They wanted $110 to put in a new battery and they use a code saver they plug in to keep power to the van. They don't need the radio code or have to do the idle procedure.

Well i checked my battery at my work(I work at a Porsche, VW and Audi Dealership in Parts) and it failed a batery test. I figured this would happen because I noticed the starting has gotten a little slow.
    So any ways on to the battery changing procedure.

If you get 2 8 guage wires to gator clip to your new battery and the posts then unhook your battery...your car will still be getting power. You then can install the new battery and then not loose any codes etc...

Also an easy way to get the battery out is to get a set of vise grips and clamp them onto the negative post and lift the battery out.
    1999 Honda Odyssey EX (112k miles)
    1993 Honda Civic Si (180k miles)
    1996 Acura Integra RS (133k miles)COMING SOON TO BE 98+ SPEC

Dealer performed battery check on my 01 ODY. It showed 12.69V and 353 CCA. Battery still shows green dot. So I assume the voltage is ok but CCA is way below spec 550CCA.
    I have no trouble to sart in the morning, since I live on So Cal winter is not cold at all. What's the lowest CCA I can live with? Will it increase my battery CCA if I charge my battery with an external battery charger?
    '01 GG EX 87 k miles
    Mud Guard, Wheel Lock, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats, Leather Steerling Wheel Cover, Pioneer 1655 front speakers, 1086 rear speakers, Weathertech Cargo Liner, Lojack, Garmin NUVI 650, New Tranny @ 60K, Engine Mount @ 75K

GOTTI - I had considered doing that with my jumper cables. I figured with my luck, however the clip would slip off, ground something out, fry the electronics, or blow up. Then I'd really be screwed. I figured since I had the radio code, the rest was easy. The swap fell within the 15 minute range of stuff I'll fix on the van.

By the way is the green light on on yours too? Mine was, yet it still failed two tests. Sounds like bjk2001 has the same issue. What is that light for?

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements