Timing Belt at 53K miles?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Timing Belt at 53K miles?

Timing Belt at 53K miles?

I have a 2009 Odyssey with very low mileage (~53,000 mi). Dealership just told me that it recommended having the timing belt replaced (for $1,150) due to the age of the vehicle. I realize that it's recommended to replace the timing belt at 7 years or 105,000 miles.

We live in the Denver, Colorado area, so have a pretty dry climate. With the mileage being only about half the 105,000 miles, what do people here recommend as to whether or not to replace the timing belt NOW? I realize that if the belt goes, the potential for even more damage and costs goes way up. But money is a bit tight now to replace the belt, unless it really, REALLY needs to be done ASAP.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ruzicka View Post
    I have a 2009 Odyssey with very low mileage (~53,000 mi). Dealership just told me that it recommended having the timing belt replaced (for $1,150) due to the age of the vehicle. I realize that it's recommended to replace the timing belt at 7 years or 105,000 miles.

We live in the Denver, Colorado area, so have a pretty dry climate. With the mileage being only about half the 105,000 miles, what do people here recommend as to whether or not to replace the timing belt NOW? I realize that if the belt goes, the potential for even more damage and costs goes way up. But money is a bit tight now to replace the belt, unless it really, REALLY needs to be done ASAP.
    i just went through this with my 2010 MDX with the same mileage. You will find a thread here where I asked the same question. I did mine mainly because I do my own labor and knew I would have to replace belt and everything the belt touches at least once. I did extensive research and could not find a single age related belt failure. I believe you are good for at least 10 years but I also believe in maximizing self-insurance. I have a $20k deductible on my HO insurance because I do not expect my house will burn down. It is all a matter of how much risk you want to assume. I also believe the 7 year dealer recommendation is not supported by Honda. With the advent of the MM, which does not count months, if Honda felt timing belts needed replacing at 7 years independent of mileage, they would say that in the OM just like they say to replace brake fluid every 3 years independent of mileage. My 7 year old timing belt looked and felt brand new.

It's all about risk management. At 7 years the risk starts to go up. It doesn't mean it will fail at 7 years and 1 day. it may not even fail at 8 years but you're riding the risk curve that is starting to trend up. Also, keep in mind that the belt isn't the only thing that can fail. The tensioner can leak over time and cause a failure of the belt. I wouldn't get too concerned about doing it "right now," though. I would plan for it this year, set some money aside, and get it done when you can.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Your choice, but unless it is usually stored at very high temps or very low temps continuously, i wouldn't change it until around 100k miles or 12 yrs, whichever came first.
    I am only professing my opinion, with no timing belt changing experience.
    If oil gets on the timing belt, it will fail quicker: so I've been told.
    Some have driven over 200k miles on the original timing belt, but mine was changed at 105k miles, just before I purchased it.
    I will not have it changed until I get to 200k+ miles, regardless of the time. Will it work out? I don't know.
    If it fails suddenly, I will junk it.
    Buffalo4
    2003 EX-L
    179k miles orig tranny June 2017

7. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread