Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Power Steering Fluid Change

105K views 46 replies 29 participants last post by  southbaykdei 
#1 ·
What are anyone's thoughts as to when to change power steering fluid? At a certain interval? Based on appearance?

Mine's golden brown at 77,000 miles.

#29 ·
05 Power Steering Reservoir Problem ????

I have a 2005 ODY just wondering if anyone has experienced the recurrence of the same whining noise after the power steering pump was replaced ? It sounds like a mini siren in the engine compartment . If you have can you get another replacement ? The noise is definitely coming from pump / reservoir location , same as first time . Any call backs / good will reported for a bad reservoir ?

#33 ·
I have a 2005 ODY just wondering if anyone has experienced the recurrence of the same whining noise after the
power steering pump was replaced ? It sounds like a mini siren in the engine compartment . If you have can you get another replacement ? The noise is definitely coming from pump / reservoir location , same as first time . Any call backs / good will reported for a bad reservoir ?
Did you replace the PS pump or did the Honda dealer do it?

#30 · (Edited)
If air is getting into the inlet side of the pump it will make a buzzing sound, which gets louder when you turn the wheel. This will also foam up the PS fluid in the reservoir. I replaced the PS pump in my 2004 twice and it was still buzzing.

If your PS pump is making a similar noise I suggest making sure that the hose is properly secured on the inlet side of pump. I ended up installing a new inlet hose since they do get brittle over time and may not form a good seal when removed/re-installed.

#31 ·
no foam in the reservoir and hasn't lost any fluid since the new power steering pump was put in 2 1/2 months and 4000 miles ago . I think it's starvation of fluid to the pump . I am still thinking faulty reservoir - I heard that Honda redesigned the reservoir because of this problem. It's a 05 Ody with 32,000 miles.

#32 ·
shifty,

You may have a bad new pump.
Normally, when the engine is running, the surface of the PS fluid reservoir should be churning (w/o any bubble) because the pump is pushing fluid at a high rate.
If the PS pump is not getting enough fluid, you would hear high pitched noise when you turn the steering wheel and the fluid churning would also not be very strong.

What did you see ?

#34 ·
I'm going in today for a power steering reservoir replacement. I had the reoccurring whining noise checked out last week at the dealership . the service tech said the reservoir should be replaced . I asked the service rep if Honda would help out with the repair . He called back saying that Honda would do the repair with my part being $25. I thought that was fair since they replaced the pump under the extended warranty program .

#36 ·
I drove out from the dealership with a smoother ride . Also noticed a lot less vibration and ratcheting feeling from the steering wheel while driving and turning - plus NO WHINING NOISE from the engine compartment . I would say it's fixed - finally . Thanks to all for your input .

#37 ·
Speaking of power steering fluid changes...

I took my '07 Odyssey to the dealer this week to have the power steering pump replaced under the recent Honda warranty extension. (We experienced the hard steering at low speeds/RPM.) At the time, with 80K+ miles on the vehicle, they recommended replacing the power steering pump reservoir and doing power steering fluid service (flush-and-fill). They also noted that one set of brakes need replaced.

Today, the van is at another shop for the brake service (dealer cost is way inflated), and during this place's once-over, they see that the p.s. fluid is dirty - "almost black". Now, I've read that the fluid can get dark and murky soon after replacement, but this sounds fishy to me. I suspect that either the dealer didn't do the fluid replacement, or the other shop is playing games. When I pick up the van this afternoon, I'm going to ask to see the fluid, at least.

Should I expect "black" p.s. fluid within a week of service? I don't put it past anyone to scam car repairs these days... Thanks for any advice.

#38 ·
Back from the second shop. I dipped a paper towel into the reservoir, and this is what it looks the fluid looks like:

Pianist Hand Arm Finger Musician

Maybe it's not black (though it appears dark from outside the reservoir). But after talking to the dealer when I got home, this seems darker than it should be for a flushed power steering system. They did offer to look at it and redo the flush if needed. My question is: why did they call it done if this is how the fluid looks?

#41 ·
Back from the second shop. I dipped a paper towel into the reservoir, and this is what it looks the fluid looks like:

View attachment 11195

Maybe it's not black (though it appears dark from outside the reservoir). But after talking to the dealer when I got home, this seems darker than it should be for a flushed power steering system. They did offer to look at it and redo the flush if needed. My question is: why did they call it done if this is how the fluid looks?
Only way to get it to that nice golden color your looking for is to replace the rack and lines. Over time that dark fluod ends up sticking to the sides of the lines as the fluid brakes down. When you add new fluid its nice and fresh and ends up breaking the residue off of the lines and rack which gives you the darker color fluid after a flush. Think of it like changing your engine oil. If you go too long or use cheap oil you get engine sludge or burnt oil, once you add that nice clean golden oil to the oil pan it turns that dark brown color once you warm that oil up. Hope that helps clear some things up.

#39 ·
I recently replaced my PS pump (OE failed at ~185kmiles) with a reman from Advance and used the Coastal Honda spec fluid they carried. Even after flushing 4 bottles of new fluid through the system, my fluid still looks dark. It's the nature of the beat, IMO.

No noises, smooth steering, I declared victory.

#40 ·
I've done the PS fluid replacement, too, on all of our Hondas. Went through a couple bottles of Coastal from O'Reillys. Still looks dark, too.

OF

#42 ·
While you're checking, check the lower PS hose on the Passenger side that leads to the PS cooler (2002-4 models). It's in an exposed position, gets pelted by grit from the spinning front wheel, and can rust out - that's where my leak was!

Easy, inexpensive fix: Purchase a longer length of hose, extend hose over rusted spot, clamp at original and end-of-hose location, re-fill, bleed (rev to 2k turn wheels side to side 2x - on dirt, preferably), done.

#44 ·
#46 ·
PS fluid level doesn't usually change unless there's a leak.

Any idea over what time period the level dropped? Is the level now stable, or still dropping?

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.