Honda vs. Valvoline Maxlife Tranny Fluid
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Honda vs. Valvoline Maxlife Tranny Fluid

Question Honda vs. Valvoline Maxlife Tranny Fluid

Can anyone tell me which is better to use - Honda brand transmission fluid or Valvoline Maxlife fluid? (Or is there something better?) I want to change my tranny fluid to see if it helps with some weird shifting going on, but I don't want to pay too much if I can help it since I'm planning on selling it soon. Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I would avoid the Valvoline ATF.

How often do you change your tranny fluid?

when are you thinking of selling it?

Oftentimes a tranny fluid change, esp when long overdue, will expose pre-existing problems with the tranny. If you are planning on keeping the van for awhile, go with OEM or a top quality synthetic. I use Mobil 1, I might go Amsoil my next change. Our Trannies are very delicate so proceed with caution.
    hers:
    99 oddy
    112K miles with Original Tranny
    tranny cooler installed @1k miles
    Brembo Rotors, Hawk HPS pads
    ICE
    timing belt, 2 new motor mounts.
    RSX wheels

to do: interior swap, grill mod

his: '04 S2K
    Mugen
    BBS
    AEM

I've used Valvoline MaxLife for 2.5 years now. No problems, shifts same as with Z1 and it's easily found at local parts store.

I've also noted that it doesn't "brown/blacken" as fast as the Z1 stuff.

I've been changing my ATF with every oil change (6k-7k) since we started towing a travel trailer with the van. Every change since towing has been with MaxLife and has preformed well. Now that we are not using the Ody for towing anymore (bought truck) I'm going to go back to changing the ATF every other oil change... Again, I'll keep using MaxLife.

(of course I'm way out of warrenty... If your still in warrenty.. then use the OEM stuff!)
    '99 Odyssey LX: 135k; 2nd trans. @ 128k Hayden 678 Trans Cooler, Cyberdyne trans gauge, Prodigy brake controller, MaxLife ATF
    '06 Tundra DoubleCab: retired Ody from it's towing duties
    '05 Jayco Jayflight 27BH
    http://community.webshots.com/user/Funfinder4

I have been using the Valvoline ATF. I did notice that the new bottles describe the fluid as non compatible with Honda CVT transmissions.

How long have you guys been using the Valvoline MaxLife in terms of miles?

v/r, OF
    Last edited by 0dyfamily; 04-29-2007 at 06:31 PM.
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 103.5k OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, chuck k fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod
    2002 Ody EX RES 96.0k OEM fogs & hitch, chuck k fog mod#1
    1998 Accord LX174k. DIY: Haynes 676 ATF cooler; T & acc belts & tensioners.
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

I use valvoline Mercon V

I have been using Valvoline Mercon V semi-synthedic for 3 years and about 35000 miles in my 02 Ody. It has just over 80,000 on it now with no tranny issues. I beat it to. I have been using it for 5 years in my Acura Legend. No Issues but then that car has never asked for anything.

Originally posted by Willie Gee!

Oftentimes a tranny fluid change, esp when long overdue, will expose pre-existing problems with the tranny. If you are planning on keeping the van for awhile, go with OEM or a top quality synthetic. I use Mobil 1, I might go Amsoil my next change. Our Trannies are very delicate so proceed with caution.
    Valvoline Maxlife is synthetic.
    06 Odyssey EX - Slate Green/Grey Cloth

Maxlife Dex III/Mec V is NOT synthetic per the MSDS (certainly not for ~$3.75 a qt.). The ML PCMOs are blends, but not the ATF.

Maxlife/LG Black for about 14K miles/9 months, mostly mixed driving (70 city/30 hwy). No difference from Z1. Ready to do a drail/fill to keep it fresh.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Once I get through the ATF Z-1 I've got stashed in my garage (about 4 cases), I'll probably make the switch (unless I can find another ultra-cheap sale on the Z-1, which is looking pretty unlikely these days).

v/r, OF
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 103.5k OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, chuck k fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop

Per the advice of a certified Honda mechanic in my family I would be very hesitant to apply any ATF that advertises seal enhancement properties.

I've even lost a Honda auto before due to seal enlargement resulting from an application of MaxLife, granted it was an older vehicle but still, if I hadn't used it chances are it would had not croaked nearly as soon.

The ATF travels through pin hole passages to begin with. Affecting the seals with enhancement properties greatly increases the risk of restricted fluid flow.
    Polished Metal Metallic 2011 Insight EX,
    Heathermist Metallic 1995 EX w/ JDM F22B,
    Navajo Red Metallic 1989 LX-i w/ H&R's, Tokico's, Prelude UCA's, Pacesetter exhaust & hollow cat.

I understand that seal conditioners just maintain the seals, not enhance, improve, restore or fix brittle, cracked or otherwise damaged seals. There are no miracle products that fix damaged seals.

quote: "Per the advice of a certified Honda mechanic in my family I would be very hesitant to apply any ATF that advertises seal enhancement properties. I've even lost a Honda auto before due to seal enlargement resulting from an application of MaxLife, granted it was an older vehicle but still, if I hadn't used it chances are it would had not croaked nearly as soon."

MaxLife is available in a "stop leak" option and "standard" option. Never used the stop leak version, but the standard MaxLife version works great -- in fact I'd say it has better shift quality than Z1. I'd recommend it.

1 year & ~ 15,000 with MaxLife (our '03 now has 80,000).

I'm changing it out again this weekend before we start towing the tent trailer for the summer.

PS - She shifts great!
    EricR

I'm bumping this thread. So far, I've got a year on Valvoline MaxLife ATF on my 2003 EX-L. No problems, inexpensive enough to do a drain and refill with each oil change.

Any other experiences?

Regards, OF

I've used Valvoline Maxlife red bottle in newer Mercon V spec'd Fords and pesky Ford P-steering systems with great success. Valvoline has changed the specs around some over the years. The current Maxlife red bottle says nothing about Merc V anymore, but says it is suitable for Honda/Acura ATF-Z1 applications. http://www.valvoline.com/products/Maxlife%20ATF.pdf For a regular drain/fill regimen, I wouldn't hesitate to use it in my Honda product. Gawd knows "genuine" Honda ATF-Z1 doesn't keep them from grenading. How bad can it be?

Joel
    Last edited by MTPockets08; 05-11-2008 at 08:01 PM.
    2008 Honda Ody LX babe magnet.
    2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i CVT.
    Vehicles of the past: 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2007 Chevy Cobalt LS, 2001 Windstar, 2005 Trailblazer 4x4, 2002 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 and lots more

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements