oil pan leak
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: oil pan leak

Angry oil pan leak

any suggestions for stripped threads on the aluminum oil pan? it was damaged by the local lube shop. any other ody owners with same issue?

thanks in advance for your comments.
    '00 Ody lx (wife)
    '97 altima gxe (wife)
    '04 Wrangler unlmtd (mine)
    God, Maintenance, Safety.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Make the "lube shop" pay for the damage they have done. Start having the oil changed at the dealer or doing it yourself. The drain bolt on a Honda has a crush washer that is supposed to be replaced at each oil change. Also the bolt is supposed to be torqued to a specific ft. LBS. Letting bozos at a quicky lube shop touch your fine machine is playing with fire.

gsamedy, you've posted in another thread that you do all the regular maintenance for your Ody. What's the history of this vehicle?
    01 Ody LX 200k miles Granite Green, keyless remote, hidden hitch, front speaker upgrade, CD player
    10 Accord LX - headrests are a pain
    04 Accord LX V6 - sold
    02 XR200R - sold
    99 Harmony (two)
    95 Pressure washer
    77 Accord - great car, long gone

car mtc @ home is like growing your own groceries in your backyard.

I only started working on my cars a couple years ago. I used to go to the local mechanics before I realized it was too long of a wait to get simple things done for too much $$$ in most cases.
    '00 Ody lx (wife)
    '97 altima gxe (wife)
    '04 Wrangler unlmtd (mine)
    God, Maintenance, Safety.

any suggestions for stripped threads on the aluminum oil pan?
    http://www.artsautomotive.com/HondaOilPan.htm

The problem with Honda's steel oil pans, is the drain plug threads are frequently damaged and the drain plug sealing area tends to distort. Honda uses an aluminum sealing washer to seal the drain plug against the pan. Aluminum is fairly malleable as far as metals go, but still requires much more pressure to crush than do other types of sealing washers, such as fiber, rubber, or copper. Honda recommends 29 ft/lbs of torque on the drain plug to seal the washer - less torque and the washer will not seal and you will find a puddle in your driveway the day after your oil change. The problem is the flimsy threads and thin sheet metal can not take this amount of torque and will fail after repeated torquings.
    Our rebuilt oil pans have a thick sealing surface made from a hardened carbon steel washer. This washer is 250% of stock thickness and that will not distort at a torque far greater than the 29 ft/lbs necessary to seal.

Originally posted by Jackson
    Our rebuilt oil pans have a thick sealing surface made from a hardened carbon steel washer. This washer is 250% of stock thickness and that will not distort at a torque far greater than the 29 ft/lbs necessary to seal.
    The link does not show a photo inside the rebuilt pan. Can't tell whether the thicker bung might prevent some oil from draining.
    (Their documented Insight engine rebuild was interesting.)

Think I'll go look for some fiber washers!
    01 Ody LX 200k miles Granite Green, keyless remote, hidden hitch, front speaker upgrade, CD player
    10 Accord LX - headrests are a pain
    04 Accord LX V6 - sold
    02 XR200R - sold
    99 Harmony (two)
    95 Pressure washer
    77 Accord - great car, long gone

Smile Several options

Originally posted by back3earth
    The link does not show a photo inside the rebuilt pan. Can't tell whether the thicker bung might prevent some oil from draining.
    (Their documented Insight engine rebuild was interesting.)

Think I'll go look for some fiber washers!
    Also the pan they were fixing was steel. The current ody pan is aluminium.

I would suggest the following

1)New pan.
    2)Heli coil existing pan.
    3)Sure Drain or Fumoto valve installed permanently along with the use of some locktite thread repair...

THis was one of the main reasons I went to the Sure Drain soon after I go my ODY. Once you install it you never have to take it out so there is no risk of thread damage...

9. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements