Replacing catalytic converter? DIY or Dealer?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing catalytic converter? DIY or Dealer?

Replacing catalytic converter? DIY or Dealer?

I just found out i have to replace the catalytic converter on my recently purchased 99 ody! Honda quoted $930!!! I have replaced one on an old truck before but not sure if it will be easy on the odyssey? I know some cars have two cats, does the odyssey have two?

Also, if anyone has changed one themselves and could give me some advice/experience with this that would be greatly appreciated! And also where to buy?

Thanks in advance!
    99 Ody

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

According to this thread the stock cat has better cleaning ability and so is less likely to throw a code later. But OEM is more expensive than after market models. Like everything else, it's a tradeoff.
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission at 117,000 miles/189,000 km, Amsoil ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, Magnefine aux ATF filter, 16 ATF drain & fills

The main cat is easy to change. Soak the bolts ovenight in penetrating fluid. Even if they brake off, the OEM cat should have the studs already in it. Jobber may depending on brand.
    2004 TL
    2000 Ody

Originally posted by mjody
    The main cat is easy to change. Soak the bolts ovenight in penetrating fluid. Even if they brake off, the OEM cat should have the studs already in it. Jobber may depending on brand.
    The penetrating fluid is def needed! I think i pulled every muscle in my body trying to get those things off!!! I ended up getting the cat off but it looked perfectly fine. I shined a light through it and it looked as good as the new cat i bought (Maremont cat from autozone $170). So i ended up just bolting the thing back on. Im going to let the wife drive it for a bit and see if the CEL comes back on. I did try to get the 02 sensor off but that thing was STUCK!!!, are these things thread locked on or reverse threaded?

Thanks for the advice!
    99 Ody

The O2 is normal righty tighty, lefty loosey.

They rust on, make sure you use the proper crows foot socket for O2 sensors and it should come out.
    2004 TL
    2000 Ody

Re: Replacing catalytic converter? DIY or Dealer?

Originally posted by Haole
    I just found out i have to replace the catalytic converter on my recently purchased 99 ody...
    Too bad you are beyond the 8yr/80Kmi Federal emissions warranty. How do you know it needs to be replaced, are you getting catalyst inefficiency codes? Good news is, all <2005s have only one cat. 2005+ have THREE! I bet part of the reason Honda did this was to take the load off of one cat, and spread it over 3 smaller ones (reduce the failure rate). Anyhoo... aftermarket cats do work, you just want to make sure you get a reputable, higher dollar one with a guarantee to keep the P0420 series codes away. Cheap cats have very little precious metals plated on the substrate. I've seen where cheap replacements don't keep the P0420's away. As far as the DIY replacement? Like the other fellas say; PBblaster or the likes, heat, air/impact ratchet and a grinder/cutter would be handy.

Joel
    2008 Honda Ody LX babe magnet.
    2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i CVT.
    Vehicles of the past: 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2007 Chevy Cobalt LS, 2001 Windstar, 2005 Trailblazer 4x4, 2002 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 and lots more

Re: Re: Replacing catalytic converter? DIY or Dealer?

Originally posted by MTPockets08
    Too bad you are beyond the 8yr/80Kmi Federal emissions warranty. How do you know it needs to be replaced, are you getting catalyst inefficiency codes? Good news is, all <2005s have only one cat. 2005+ have THREE! I bet part of the reason Honda did this was to take the load off of one cat, and spread it over 3 smaller ones (reduce the failure rate). Anyhoo... aftermarket cats do work, you just want to make sure you get a reputable, higher dollar one with a guarantee to keep the P0420 series codes away. Cheap cats have very little precious metals plated on the substrate. I've seen where cheap replacements don't keep the P0420's away. As far as the DIY replacement? Like the other fellas say; PBblaster or the likes, heat, air/impact ratchet and a grinder/cutter would be handy.

Joel
    Ya its at 130k. My wife took it to the honda dealer and they said it needs a new cat, $930!!! I asked how much just for the part and they said $680!!! I did get a Maremont Cat THIS ONE . Do you have any idea how good it is. I was told by others too that cheap cats dont hold up as long as OEM cats but how long is "not as long"? This one seems to be decent?

...Impact wrench def would have been handy last night!!! It was a full body work out trying to get those nuts lose!
    99 Ody

Re: Re: Re: Replacing catalytic converter? DIY or Dealer?

..I did get a Maremont Cat THIS ONE . Do you have any idea how good it is.
    Maremont has been around forever. As long as it keeps the P0400s away, that's all that matters!

Joel
    Vehicles of the past: 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2007 Chevy Cobalt LS, 2001 Windstar, 2005 Trailblazer 4x4, 2002 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 and lots more

Super Moderator
    You can install one of those "O2 simulators" after the CAT and your P0420 concerns will be gone forever.

Matter of fact, you can even install a bypass pipe for the absolute lowest restriction and BEST performance but then the vehicle must be driven off road only...

Can you imagine what would happen if you took it in for a smog test and they happened to look underneath for the CAT? And you passed the test?

Originally posted by chiody
    You can install one of those "O2 simulators" after the CAT and your P0420 concerns will be gone forever.

Matter of fact, you can even install a bypass pipe for the absolute lowest restriction and BEST performance but then the vehicle must be driven off road only...

Can you imagine what would happen if you took it in for a smog test and they happened to look underneath for the CAT? And you passed the test?
    Where can i get one of those "02 simulators"? or is that a joke? lol... links?

Instead of a bypass pipe you can take the cat and knock out all the filter junk inside with a metal stake and just bolt it back on. Thats what id do to my cars in hawaii (no emissions tests).
    99 Ody

Instead of a bypass pipe you can take the cat and knock out all the filter junk inside with a metal stake and just bolt it back on. Thats what id do to my cars in hawaii (no emissions tests).
    Talk about you contemptable, self-centered, inconsiderate, absolutely-lacking-a-social-consionce, ignorant b@st@rd ideas!
    If you get chronic obstructive pulmonary disease it would indicate that perhaps there is justice in the world after all.
    I mean; to save $100???
    chiody; What, maybe a couple % increase in power for your sh!t-hot minivan?
    Ignorant b@st@rds!
    Paul

Super Moderator
    Geezus...

Calm down or you'll blow a fuse! Life is full of choices and options whether you like it or not!!!

No doubt. Dude needs a 'cat' for his yap.

Super Moderator
    Where can i get one of those "02 simulators"? or is that a joke? lol... links?

No joke, just google "O2 simulator," or search on ebay. They sell for about $40 and simulates the proper voltage of a functioning post CAT oxygen sensor. You just plug or splice them in and mount it to the undercarriage. It does not matter whether you have a catalytic converter or a straight pipe in place.

These are used with modified vehicles using factory ECM's because if a code is triggered with the secondary sensor, normal operation parameters are not allowed yielding less than desired fuel flow and optimal timing advance curves.

Super Moderator
    Originally posted by pribis
    <snipped to spare the readership of hogwash and immature bantering>
    I mean; to save $100???
    chiody; What, maybe a couple % increase in power for your sh!t-hot minivan?
    Ignorant b@st@rds!
    Paul
    With all these concerns for the $1,000 factory converter replacements, and $400 O2 sensor dealer repairs, your Ben Franklin comment doesn't hold water.

And substituting a pipe or "hollowing out your CAT" along with slightly richening the fuel curve will yield MUCH MORE THAN 2% as you have IGNORANTLY DECLARED!

Modern converters including the high flow versions are still the greatest source of restriction in the exhaust system.

Regarding MY MINIVAN, you frankly DO NOT KNOW what state it is currently in! The ONLY one that is full of s**t is YOU!!!

Last edited by chiody; 03-14-2008 at 10:45 PM.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements