Belt Tensioner Question '03 Ody - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Belt Tensioner Question '03 Ody

sturhrw, I just did this on my wife's 2002 (belt replacement). She'd rear ended a truck a few years ago, and the body shop did not properly torque the new alternator bolt...hence, it backed out and was damaged. I milled a grade 8 metric bolt to the same dimensions and temporarily installed it...finally replacing it with a genuine Honda part after a couple years! So, I decided it was time to do the belt, too.

I actually removed the lower splash shield and drove it up on ramps to relieve tension on the belt from below. I actually did this solo, but it would've been much easier with somebody holding the belt from above. Or, I could've used duct tape as a temporary set of extra hands while I maneuvered the free end of the belt.

OF
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 103.5k OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, chuck k fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod
    2002 Ody EX RES 96.0k OEM fogs & hitch, chuck k fog mod#1
    1998 Accord LX174k. DIY: Haynes 676 ATF cooler; T & acc belts & tensioners.
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Thanks, Odyfamily. I managed to finally get it. The problem is that you can't do this properly with standard tools. Without an extremely long 19mm hockey stick combo wrench, you're relegated to doing it the "special way" that I'm not too proud to discuss on this site!

Lets just say the job is done and nothing got broken in the process besides my knuckles and my pride.

I do have to say that I did eliminate the squeaky chattering sound that was coming from the old tensioner. The new pulley fixed that problem. It's dead quiet now. The bearing in the old pulley was pretty worn out and sloppy. That's obviously where the noise was coming from.

The condition of my old serp belt was "alarming" to say the least. I have 106K miles on the van and its the original belt. It was severely cracked and had several chunks completely missing from the bottom side. I'm really surprised it hadn't already failed. Good thing, as I'm constantly on the road, averaging 600 miles a week.

While I had everything apart, I inspected the timing belt. It looked brand new, all the way around. I do plan on replacing that within the next couple of months. Fortunately, a friend of mine has an 99 Ody and we're going to help each other do timing belt swaps on both. Based on how "easy" the serp belt was, I can't wait to dive into the timing belt job. I'm going to use the guide that someone posted on this site, along with the service manual. Wish me luck. I'll need it!
    03' Odyssey EXL-RES
    Sandstone Metallic

cnn
    Go to Harbor Freight and buy this Tensioner tool ($16 on sales, regular price $20), it makes changing the belt a snap:

http://www.harborfreight.com/serpent...kit-66344.html

cnn: 2007 Odyssey LX

yes....that would have been helpful. Probably could have gotten the job done in less than half an hours with that tool!!

The problem was really two-fold:

1. The limited space between the frame and pulley made getting a ratchet with a socket on impossible.

2. The pulley bolt has a large torx head instead of a standard hex. You have to remove the entire tensioner in order to swap the pulley.

But, the job is done for now and everything seems to be operating fine as I've put about 1000 miles on the van since the job, without issues.

BTW, rolling 110K miles this week with no issues, other than standard maintenance (oil/filters). I did get the EGR valve replaced under warranty, but that's it. She still runs great, other than a little excessive engine vibration at low RPM (<1500) while in top gear. Nothing ridiculous, but it is noticeable. Probably a worn mount. Hopefully we'll get another 100K!!
    03' Odyssey EXL-RES
    Sandstone Metallic

Does the Harbor Freight tool really work on the Ody? For the 2003-2004 people mentioned using a 19mm wrench, but the HF kit only has a 15mm and 18mm hex and 13,14,15mm crowfoots.

cnn
    The HF tool is nothing but a super-long 3/8" breaker bar.

Just substitute with a 3/4" or 19-mm socket and you will be fine.
    cnn: 2007 Odyssey LX

Quote Originally Posted by egads View Post
    Use the search? Why are you changing the belt? How many miles on the van? All the belts, including the timing belt, get changed at 105k. Here's my favorite post about this, short and sweet:

Dash Lights on & Dead battery - Diagnosed and Fixed - Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums

But it deals with just doing the alternator. That may not require removing the entire belt. But there are other threads if you search. Because it's the weekend, it may be your best bet if you want to get it done .
    Quote Originally Posted by chiody View Post
    14mm open end wrench, just pivot tensioner to release pressure on belt, slide belt off.

Hi guys. Egads...I planned on using this info to tackle the task at hand. When I got to the step of releasing the pressure on the tensioning belt, there is no 14 mm bolt on it. I have an 02 Ody and it looks like some type of unique bolt, perhaps a hex, I can't make it out. Looks like a special tool required to fit in to back the tensioner off. Further on in this thread it mentions a 19 mm hex. Does anyone know if this is correct? At a standstill here as I can't relieve the tensioner. Any help would be much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by EXL03ODYSSEY View Post
    I have an '03 Odyssey. To loosen the serpentine belt that goes around the alternator, jack up the vehicle, remove the right front wheel. The belt tensioner has a 19mm hex on it that can be accessed from the underside of the vehicle. There is a plastic belly pan cover that you may want to unclip from the body of the vehicle to help with access to the hex on the belt tensioner. If you look for the part on a website such as rockauto.com, you can clearly see the layout of the belt tensioner showing the hex boss.
    Thanks for the info. Once I got the splash guard removed, the 19 mm hex bolt was easy to see and access to relieve the tensioner. Thought this was worth mentioning for those who do not have the 14 mm bolt on the tensioner pulley. This job would have been much easier if it had.

On the T50 torx bolt that holds the pulley to the tensioner, is the thread direction normal - left to loosen? I am changing out the squeely pulley this coming weekend and don't want to mess up!
    thanks

after doing the job last night - I can confirm it's a normal thread! As others have said the biggest issue is getting the plastic undershields back on without breaking the $5 clips!

I had more trouble with the 17mm mounting bolt on the tensioner, than the Torx bolt holding the pulley. There isn't enough space to get a ratchet or breaker bar on that bolt, so a 17mm wrench was the only option. It was on pretty tight.
    2004 Honda Odyssey EX-L RES
    2004 Mazdaspeed MX-5
    2009 Honda Civic Si

how did you guys slip the belt back on? Im having trouble and its my last step...I dont have enough slack to get the 17mm bolt on the tensioner in his hole am I doing something wrong here?

Wink

99-04 Odys have the simple tensioner that you can use a long 14mm wrench on. 05-10 Odys have that hydraulic tensioner that is really a pain to some. It uses the 19mm socket.

Quote Originally Posted by buzboy View Post
    99-04 Odys have the simple tensioner that you can use a long 14mm wrench on. 05-10 Odys have that hydraulic tensioner that is really a pain to some. It uses the 19mm socket.
    there is no 14mm on the 03 I have its a torx 50 and the only way to let it go is unbolting a 17mm bolt that goes on the tensioner arm itself, but getting it back on is a pain.

whats your specail way? I cant get mine on either right now...
    Quote Originally Posted by stuhrw View Post
    Thanks, Odyfamily. I managed to finally get it. The problem is that you can't do this properly with standard tools. Without an extremely long 19mm hockey stick combo wrench, you're relegated to doing it the "special way" that I'm not too proud to discuss on this site!

Lets just say the job is done and nothing got broken in the process besides my knuckles and my pride.

I do have to say that I did eliminate the squeaky chattering sound that was coming from the old tensioner. The new pulley fixed that problem. It's dead quiet now. The bearing in the old pulley was pretty worn out and sloppy. That's obviously where the noise was coming from.

The condition of my old serp belt was "alarming" to say the least. I have 106K miles on the van and its the original belt. It was severely cracked and had several chunks completely missing from the bottom side. I'm really surprised it hadn't already failed. Good thing, as I'm constantly on the road, averaging 600 miles a week.

While I had everything apart, I inspected the timing belt. It looked brand new, all the way around. I do plan on replacing that within the next couple of months. Fortunately, a friend of mine has an 99 Ody and we're going to help each other do timing belt swaps on both. Based on how "easy" the serp belt was, I can't wait to dive into the timing belt job. I'm going to use the guide that someone posted on this site, along with the service manual. Wish me luck. I'll need it!

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements