How hard to change Oil on 2003 Odyssey?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How hard to change Oil on 2003 Odyssey?

How hard to change Oil on 2003 Odyssey?

I recently purchased an 03 Odyssey and was wondering where is the oil filter located? This will probably be the only service I'll do on my van , everything else my mechanic will do.

Thanks
    TroyH

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Do a seach.

Its easy. Oil filter is just behind the passenger tire. Turn front wheels all the way right, and you can access it easily. Use a 2 liter bottle cut in half to catch the oil that will come out when you remove the filter.
    2013 Smoky Topaz Odyssey Touring
    2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T to replace the Integra
    2002 MB EXL-RES(sold at 137k miles)
    1994 Acura Integra GSR(sold in 2009 with 195k, stolen from new owner after only 7 months!)

Hey superdad, thanks so much. do you find it easier to remove it from the top or the bottom?

TroyH

Best way is from the side, actually through the passenger wheel well.
    2013 Smoky Topaz Odyssey Touring
    2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T to replace the Integra
    2002 MB EXL-RES(sold at 137k miles)
    1994 Acura Integra GSR(sold in 2009 with 195k, stolen from new owner after only 7 months!)

Excellent ! Thanks.

1. Jack up car
    2. Drain oil
    3. Remove filter
    4. Replace drain plug
    5. Install new oil filter
    6. lower car
    7. fill oil

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDad View Post
    Best way is from the side, actually through the passenger wheel well.
    With the wheel turned all the way to the right, the filter is easily accessible. I like to change the washer on the drain plug at each oil change.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDad View Post
    ... Use a 2 liter bottle cut in half to catch the oil that will come out when you remove the filter.
    Wisest words that were ever spoken. I ended up much less oily once I started doing thing, putting the flexible bottle half (top or bottom, no matter) around the filter, giving it a squeeze so I could grab the filter (already loosened a bit with a strap wrench), and slowly hand turning the filter...it falls right into the bottle half, along with the oil.

Just remember to leave the cap on the bottle, if you use the top half instead of the bottom half....

OF
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 158k miles, OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, chuck k fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod
    2002 Ody EX RES 164k, Ditto on above.
    1998 Accord LX215k. DIY: Haynes 676 ATF cooler; T & acc belts & tensioners.
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

Hidden Content

Is this a washer that is available at any auto parts store or does it have to be purchased at a Honda dealer? Thanks! (New owner of 2003 Odyssey here as well)

No stores in my area carry the aluminum crush washers. Same in the US, according to various posts I have read.

They are available online though. Search for "14mm aluminum crush washer". The outside diameter is 22mm. Stay away from near misses - fiber, copper, "metal", etc.

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    141,000 miles/227,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 18 drain and fills

Lots reuse the old washer with no problems, BUT if it does leak, then you do have a problem.
    I reuse the old washer most times and haven't had a problem with the engine oil plug, but I did have the atf drain plug leak when reusing the old washer. Your choice.
    Buffalo4
    PS: Some great tips in this post by others.
    2003 EX-L
    168k miles orig tranny Oct 2015

Get one of those $5.00 Walmart oil filter pliers that will reach out about 6" or so. That way you can get the filter off very easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo4 View Post
    Lots reuse the old washer with no problems
    Yeah, that's another ongoing debate - to reuse the washer or to replace it.

I have reused mine to preserve my stash of the correct 14mm washer ever since both nearby dealers replaced it with the 18mm washer from the transmission drain plug. I always keep the orientation the same and use a torque wrench to tighten it. I have never had it leak. I used to think that was the only risk.

Then I stumbled across someone who says that reusing the washer makes it lose its flat profile in favor of a wedge profile. This apparently causes stress in the aluminum oil pan. This stress can crack it. Here's a link to the discussion: http://www.thumperta...h washer damage

Next time mine is out, I will check if it is still flat or not. I'm no metallurgist, but I am skeptical (as long as the bolt is not overtightened). In the meantime, any thoughts?

Dave

Edit: Sorry, that link seems to not work. Try this link and go to post #9: Crush washers are a myth and do not exhist! - DR-Z 400 - ThumperTalk
    Last edited by davedrivesody; 08-14-2016 at 07:58 PM.
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    141,000 miles/227,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 18 drain and fills

I've used copper sealing washers for the ATF plug...they leak.

I've used a synthetic (hard plastic) sealing washing for the oil pan plug and the ATF plug...they leak.

I've used a new Honda aluminum "crush" washer on oil and ATF plugs. No leaks.

I've re-used the Honda aluminum "crush" washer oil and ATF plugs. No leaks.

We bought a stash of 100 of them from ebay for dirt cheap (both oil and ATF; different sizes). We just change them with each oil change or ATF drain/refill.

I will say that the re-used washers seems to not require very many degrees of turn (after the plug is snug against it) to achieve 29 ft-lbs. of torque for the oil plug, or 36 ft-lbs. for the ATF drain plug. The new crush washers require an unnerving amount of turning before the torque wrench "clicks"; they are "crushing" (deforming) to make a good seal, so it seems to me.

That's my experience. That, and two "Obama bucks" won't get you a cup of coffee.

OF

Quote Originally Posted by davedrivesody View Post
    Then I stumbled across someone who says that reusing the washer makes it lose its flat profile in favor of a wedge profile.
    I will re-use the washer a couple of times and what I do is flip the washer over. That way, I can 're-form' it to the proper shape. No problem so far.... I do replace the washer on the next oil change after flipping it. If I can't remember, I go the safe route and replace it. One of the local dealers charges just $0.32/ea for the oil drain washers (and $2.52 for the ATF drain -- rather drastic price difference, IMO).
    '05 Odyssey EX <= the wife's ! | '99 Accord EX <= mine !

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast