B1 service & tire rotation?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: B1 service & tire rotation?

B1 service & tire rotation?

Our 08 Ody EX went in for the A1 service (oil change and tire rotation) around 7,000 miles. The maint minder just lit up with a B1 at 10,000 miles.

The oil change I can live with but 3,000 miles between tire rotations?

Does that seem unreasonable to anyone else?

It's not as if my wife runs slalom courses during the week.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

eneka
    i normally rotate my tires every oil change but the 3k does seem weird.. how do you "drive" you ody?(short trips, cold engine)

Was the first code ever erased I wonder? Quirk in the algorithm?

Most of the trips are < 10 miles, van is kept in a heated garage.

I know the oil was reset by the dealer when she took it in... I didn't know there were separate resets for the alpha and numeric.

10K to me sounds right for a rotate & balance, 3k is pretty extreme unless these are just very soft tires.

Just wondering - I install winter tires on my stock rims and then reinstall the all seasons in the spring... Is the rotate tire counter smart enough to know that and not come on after xxx miles?
    2014 Odyssey Touring
    VMI Wheelchair Conversion
    Alabaster Silver Metallic

2008 Odyssey Touring
    Metallic Mocha
    VMI Wheelchair Conversion

Originally posted by brokenarrow
    Just wondering - I install winter tires on my stock rims and then reinstall the all seasons in the spring... Is the rotate tire counter smart enough to know that and not come on after xxx miles?
    No. Its not that smart.

Because of that, I just plan to rotate at every oil change interval. Now, if MM says my oil change is due at 3K v/s the over 6K, then, I'd still do the rotation. But, I do it myself so, there's no money involved with rotating tires at every oil change.
    When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

You can read up on the Maintenance Minder and it's logic here:

Pages 6-7
    http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SN/A050900.pdf

Page 3
    http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SN/A051100.pdf
    2008 Odyssey Touring non-PAX
    Silver Pearl Metallic w/ Black Interior
    Mobil 1 5W-20 with Honda Oil Filter 15400-PLM-A01 or 15400-PLM-A02
    Shell (or other Top-Tier Gas)
    Honda Care 6yr/120K from Bernardi Honda
    WeatherTech FloorLiner (1st, 2nd, 3rd Row)
    WeatherTech Cargo Liner (Coverage Area: Behind 2nd Seat)

TSBs applied: 07-045 (Brake Pedal Is Low and Feels Soft), 08-080 (Wind Noise or Rattle From Front Doors), 09-053 (Product Update: Lock-Up Clutch Judders Between 2045 MPH / PCM Update for Lock-Up Clutch Function), 10-024 (No XM Sound, But XM Station Information Is Displayed)

Safety Recalls applied: 10-017 (Air In VSA Modulator-Control Unit Causes Low/Soft Brake Pedal)

Warranty Repairs: Torque converter replaced at 38,349 miles, Water passage replaced at 38,349 miles, HOSE A, WATER, HOSE C, WATER, and RUBBER, THERMOSTAT MOUNTING replaced at 39,673 miles. Second software update (unreleased and released) applied to PCM

Re: B1 service & tire rotation?

Originally posted by H0nd4Dr1v3r
    Our 08 Ody EX went in for the A1 service (oil change and tire rotation) around 7,000 miles. The maint minder just lit up with a B1 at 10,000 miles.

The oil change I can live with but 3,000 miles between tire rotations?

Does that seem unreasonable to anyone else?

It's not as if my wife runs slalom courses during the week.
    I think code 1 will always come up on every maintenance minder (correct me if I'm wrong). My 07 EX have been giving me an A1 around every 7, 000 miles (3 times in my case), However the dealer always checks the tire and they tell me when I actually need the rotation. I had my tire rotated once (on the second oil service) so far saving me the $20.00 twice already.

Re: Re: B1 service & tire rotation?

Originally posted by cdapelo
    I think code 1 will always come up on every maintenance minder (correct me if I'm wrong). My 07 EX have been giving me an A1 around every 7, 000 miles (3 times in my case), However the dealer always checks the tire and they tell me when I actually need the rotation. I had my tire rotated once (on the second oil service) so far saving me the $20.00 twice already.
    You should always see an alternating pattern of A and B service. You shouldn't see A services repeated.

Please confirm if you actually saw just the A services or if I am correct.

TSBs applied: 07-045 (Brake Pedal Is Low and Feels Soft), 08-080 (Wind Noise or Rattle From Front Doors), 09-053 (Product Update: Lock-Up Clutch Judders Between 2045 MPH / PCM Update for Lock-Up Clutch Function), 10-024 (No XM Sound, But XM Station Information Is Displayed)

Safety Recalls applied: 10-017 (Air In VSA Modulator-Control Unit Causes Low/Soft Brake Pedal)

Warranty Repairs: Torque converter replaced at 38,349 miles, Water passage replaced at 38,349 miles, HOSE A, WATER, HOSE C, WATER, and RUBBER, THERMOSTAT MOUNTING replaced at 39,673 miles. Second software update (unreleased and released) applied to PCM

Re: Re: Re: B1 service & tire rotation?

Originally posted by EE4Life
    You should always see an alternating pattern of A and B service. You shouldn't see A services repeated.

Please confirm if you actually saw just the A services or if I am correct.
    I had 3 A1 service in a row. It averages around 7,000 miles per maintenance minder. I just had my latest service last week. So far, I have not seen any B service on mine. Is this something I need to worry about?
    Last edited by cdapelo; 09-16-2009 at 03:44 PM.

Re: Re: Re: Re: B1 service & tire rotation?

I had 3 A1 service in a row. It averages around 7,000 miles per maintenance minder. I just had my latest service last week. So far, I have not seen any B service on mine. Is this something I need to worry about?
    That is very strange to see just A services and no B services.

A = Replace just the engine oil

B = Replace the engine oil and the oil filter; inspections

If you were to follow the Maintenance Minder as you have seen it, then it would not have told you to replace the oil filter yet, which means that your oil filter has been in use for 21,000.

I sure hope you have changed it by now.

Very disturbing. You should notify your dealer or American Honda of this, as something is wrong.

Anyone else only seeing A services?

I got a B service (forgot the number but had to have been 1) as my second service. Even if A only says replace the oil, I still replace the oil and the filter and I run Sythetic for added peace of mind.
    When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: B1 service & tire rotation?

Originally posted by EE4Life
    That is very strange to see just A services and no B services.

A = Replace just the engine oil

B = Replace the engine oil and the oil filter; inspections

If you were to follow the Maintenance Minder as you have seen it, then it would not have told you to replace the oil filter yet, which means that your oil filter has been in use for 21,000.

I sure hope you have changed it by now.

Very disturbing. You should notify your dealer or American Honda of this, as something is wrong.

Anyone else only seeing A services?
    Everytime I go for an A1 service, the dealer always replaces the oil and the oil filter and also does a multipoint inspection. They have coupons that is being sent to me via email every month and it only cost $27.00 to do the Oil and Filter Change plus multipoint inspection. Plus a bonus CarWash if you ask them to do it for you . Maybe this is why I'm only getting an A1 everytime. I never checked what the "B" code means as I have not received such code on my maintenance minder. So, basically all this time, I've been doing a B service instead of A?

Question now is... How does the system know if you also need a filter change? Does it have a sensor that detects a dirty oil filter or does it depend on how the maintenance minder is reset by the dealer.
    Last edited by cdapelo; 09-18-2009 at 04:11 PM.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: B1 service & tire rotation?

Everytime I go for an A1 service, the dealer always replaces the oil and the oil filter and also does a multipoint inspection. They have coupons that is being sent to me via email every month and it only cost $27.00 to do the Oil and Filter Change plus multipoint inspection. Plus a bonus CarWash if you ask them to do it for you . Maybe this is why I'm only getting an A1 everytime. I never checked what the "B" code means as I have not received such code on my maintenance minder. So, basically all this time, I've been doing a B service instead of A?

Question now is... How does the system know if you also need a filter change? Does it have a sensor that detects a dirty oil filter or does it depend on how the maintenance minder is reset by the dealer.
    There is no sensor to tell you when to change the oil filter. Honda has programmed the MM to replace the oil filter with every other oil change, as far as I know, hence you should see an A then B service pattern. I know that the dealer technician can reset the oil life monitor with the HDS, instead of the method as described for us in the owner's manual.

According to a Honda document:
    The engine oil life and the maintenance item(s) can be independently reset with the HDS.

Resetting Individual Maintenance Items
    1. Connect the Honda Diagnostic System (HDS) to the data link connector (DLC).
    2. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II).
    3. Make sure the HDS communicates with the vehicle and the powertrain control module (PCM). If it doesn't communicate, troubleshoot the DLC circuit.
    4. Select GAUGES in the BODY ELECTRICAL with the HDS.
    5. Select ADJUSTMENT in the GAUGES with the HDS.
    6. Select SERVICE REMINDER in the ADJUSTMENT with the HDS.
    7. Select RESET in the SERVICE REMINDER with the HDS.
    8. Select the individual maintenance item you wish to reset.

So, the dealer is able to reset the MM differently than we can. I wonder what they are doing to allow you to only see A services. You should inquire with them about it and report back.

Also, here is something you can try in the meantime. Pretend as if you were going to reset the system and see what the next service is calling for. Do not reset the system and cancel out of it. If it is calling for a B service, then the MM is working like it should and the dealer is doing something different.

16. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements