Cost of "B12" service? (same as 20K service?)
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cost of "B12" service? (same as 20K service?)

Question Cost of "B12" service? (same as 20K service?)

This is the 1st time the Maint Minder came on (for me) on my used '07 EX-L for me, and the code is "B12" (oil @ 15%). It was purchased at 19K (Dec '08), and it has 25K now.

At a local Honda dealership, the service advisor just put in a 20K service for it ($284).

Having read the manual for what "B12" means (itemized), here's my question... Is 20K service the same as the services for "B12"? (Does every dealership itemize 20K service differently?) Am I getting (& charged) "more"/"less" than what's needed for "B12"?

I've read how Maint Minder works in Honda ServiceNews Sept '05 (page 6~7) per this post...
    B1 service & tire rotation?

Thanks,
    - PiroChu
    '07 Honda Odyssey EX-L

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

What did you find in your manual? What does it say should be done with the B12?
    05 Touring (still with pax)
    Silver/Black

Yes, "B12" items are clearly listed (in manual), but I just don't know what're exactly in their "20K Service" (not itemized on invoice); hence my Q of side-by-side items (& the quoted price of 20K).
    '07 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Okay. I'm asking what your manual stated.
    Silver/Black

Sure, I don't have my manul handy here right now, but - meanwhile - here's the same info taken from above link...

B = Replace the engine oil and the oil filter, rotate the tires, inspect the front and rear brakes, check the parking brake adjustment, and inspect several other items listed in the O/M.

1 = Rotate the tires.

2 = Replace the air cleaner element, check the drive belt, and replace the dust and pollen filter.
    '07 Honda Odyssey EX-L

I think the short answer to your question:

"Having read the manual for what "B12" means (itemized), here's my question... Is 20K service the same as the services for "B12"? (Does every dealership itemize 20K service differently?) Am I getting (& charged) "more"/"less" than what's needed for "B12"?"

is not always.

Reading this forum, what dealerships do at services intervals can vary greatly. I think you will need to contact your dealer and see what they did.

Just kind of adding things up...I am thinking the following prices:

Oil Change - $35
    Tire Rotation - $25
    Engine air cleaner - $40 (guess)
    Dust and Pollen - $90 (guess)
    Inspection items - $90 (maybe an hour labor)

But its really hard to say what they did. Some people have reported close to $400, because the dealer does unnecessary items.

Let us know what you find out...
    Silver/Black

Thanks much for the info. The total-$ you listed matches what I was charged. But, yes, you're right - I should really get the Dealership to itemize their "20K Service" to know exactly for sure.

Thanks again,
    - PiroChu
    '07 Honda Odyssey EX-L

DIY will save you a lot and saving $ is a pretty good thing especially in today's economy. Here is what I did for my B12 (well, my 07 Ody still has 17000miles on clock, but I did the below anyway at 15000miles) by myself:

1. Change oil and filter - 5qts of Catrol 5W-20 + Oil filter at Walmart = $16
    2. Air cleaner element = $25 at a Honda dealer
    3. Tire roation
    4. Cabin filter = $12 bought on eBay
    5. Visual check on all fluid levels
    6. Visual check on belts and hoses
    7. Lubricate sliding doors
    8. Lubricate door hinges
    9. Inspect brakes for pad thikness and leaks

Took me an hour and half but hell a lot cheaper than getting it done at a Honda dealer for $300.
    07 Honda Odyssey EX
    04 Scion xA
    04 BMW R1100S

Super Moderator
    Originally posted by DIYNUT
    DIY will save you a lot and saving $ is a pretty good thing especially in today's economy. Here is what I did for my B12 (well, my 07 Ody still has 17000miles on clock, but I did the below anyway at 15000miles) by myself:

1. Change oil and filter - 5qts of Catrol 5W-20 + Oil filter at Walmart = $16
    2. Air cleaner element = $25 at a Honda dealer
    3. Tire roation
    4. Cabin filter = $12 bought on eBay
    5. Visual check on all fluid levels
    6. Visual check on belts and hoses
    7. Lubricate sliding doors
    8. Lubricate door hinges
    9. Inspect brakes for pad thikness and leaks

Took me an hour and half but hell a lot cheaper than getting it done at a Honda dealer for $300.
    And another pertinent concern is you know the services were performed CORRECTLY......

It doesn't take any special knowledge to perform these services. I have been doing oil/filter changes on my cars and motorcycles for over 30 years and haven't screwed up anything even once. Other items are pretty much no brainer as well. Obvisouly, if you are the kind who doesn't even know where your engine is in your Ody or who has money to burn or who believe in spending to stimulate US econom, then a nearby Honda dealer is the place to go. I have seen a comedy long time ago...a guy opens up the front bonnet of a VW bug because he couldn't get it started and says "My God! No wonder the engine is gone..."
    07 Honda Odyssey EX
    04 Scion xA
    04 BMW R1100S

DIY B12 service

Thanks to numerous threads found here, I was able to perform my first DIY B12 service in a breeze! What I found most useful was the trick of removing the "shock absorber" cap in the glove box (I'll never figure that out by myself unless I lose patience and break it), and the trick of cutting a plastic bottle in half while removing that darn oil filter beside the cross member. Not one drop fell in my garage floor nor in the suspension.

Having assembled vehicles from surplus parts in the past, I know what I was looking for when it comes to the inspection items and fluid conditions. Especially when I had owned Honda's and Toyota's most of the time, this Ody is no different. A little bit of modern technology of course, but the principle is still there.

Total cost of OEM oil, air, and cabin filters, and genuine Honda motor oil --- $70. Plus 1.5 hrs. of my weekend time.

PS.

The cabin filter is disgusting after 24K/2 yrs. of use. I think this should be changed yearly, IMO. Or depending where you live, I guess.
    Last edited by andrew a.; 11-02-2009 at 08:22 PM.
    '11 PILOT Touring 4WD R&N Crystal Black/Black

gone: '07 Ody EX-L R&N Nimbus Gray/Olive - OEM add-ons: cross bars, cargo tray, mudguards, foglights w/ 3M protection film,"EXL" emblem, subwoofer.
    Aftermarket: DDM HID 6000K 35W slim ballast kit, Hamsar 45035 DRLs, LED high-output license plate lights, glass-mounted antenna for TV tuner, Weather Tech Floor Liners, Bosch FSA2 Supertone Horns, Gutter guard installed to protect A/C.

My wife went for oil change as the dashbord showing less than 15%. At the dealership, the service guy came up with 30K miles service for $317, also pointed out that front tires are bald or almost bald, need replacements. Also tires are due for rotations. The odometer reads 33K mils. Last oil change occurred at 28K miles. If 30K miles service was required, how come on-board computer did not warn at 30K miles? Anyway, I am inpsired by the DIY efforts posted here and wonder should I try. I have the 2006 EX-L. Please advise.

The 30k service should not have been offered as it does not exist for the 3rd gen ody, which is also why the on-board computer did not indicate it. It has a maintenance minder system and would indicate a B code with a numeric sub code (if needed). Check your owners manual under maintenance minder so you and/or the wife are not taken again. You can also search on this forum for "maintenance minder" and find some really good info...
    Silver/Black

15. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements