DIY 2007 Odyssey ATF COMPLETE FLUSH with ATF-Z1 Fluid - Page 4
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY 2007 Odyssey ATF COMPLETE FLUSH with ATF-Z1 Fluid

Honda PN Fastenal PN Fastenal Price
    91501-S04-003 0162681 $1.68
    91503-SZ5-003 0162682 $1.51

I paid $3.77 at my local Honda dealer....and they sold me 10 clips and assured me that's all that is needed....

I ordered a surplus of clips from Fastenal. Next time I'll order from H and A Honda dot com

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

cnn
    Originally posted by bradleyras
    Honda PN Fastenal PN Fastenal Price
    91501-S04-003 0162681 $1.68
    91503-SZ5-003 0162682 $1.51

I paid $3.77 at my local Honda dealer....and they sold me 10 clips and assured me that's all that is needed....

I ordered a surplus of clips from Fastenal. Next time I'll order from H and A Honda dot com
    - Is it $3.77 for each or 10 clips?

- FYI, local auto parts stores carry a generic package of 10 clips for $10, just bring an old clip and find the similar size clip and it will be fine.

Of course, the option of zip tie is always there.

Who would know what you install down there anyway?...
    cnn: 2007 Odyssey LX

$3.77 EACH!!

cnn
    Originally posted by bradleyras
    $3.77 EACH!!
    Then it is outrageous at $3.77/each clip!!!
    FYI, Auto Parts Stores (Autozone, OReilly etc.) sell Plastic Screws: $2 for 10 of them.
    Plastic Screws are good alternative.
    Last edited by cnn; 09-25-2009 at 12:47 PM.

just an fyi...

To replace all the plastic clips that secure the lower splash shield, you will need

7 of the :
    91501-S04-003
    ($0.84 each from HandA- search for inner fender liner clip)
    ($1.68 each from Fastenal- part#0162681- box of 15)
    Fastenal Link

and 10 of the:
    91503-SZ5-003
    ($1.90 each from HandA-search for bumper clip)
    ($1.51 each from Fastenal- part#0162682- box of 15)
    Fastenal Link for 0162682

Link to HandA

Question on the process.

Why is it necessary to do the initial 4 qt fill after draining from the tranny plug?

Since the new 4 quarts of fluid are then immediately removed from the radiator return.

Would it be easier to drain the tranny fluid from the radiator return, unscrew the bolt, clean and reinstall. This would also save 4 quarts.
    07 e-xl dvd/nav Mr.Grille

cnn
    Originally posted by atl_sud
    .....Why is it necessary to do the initial 4 qt fill after draining from the tranny plug?...
    It is OK to do this way but not a complete flush, read on:

1. In a normal transmision, ATF is pumped from the Trans into the Torque Converter (TC).
    Then ATF from TC ----> Trans Cooler (Red Arrow) ---> ATF is cooled ---> returns via Return Hose (Blue Arrow) back to the Auto Transmission.

2. The Trans Cooler is basically a Radiator used to cool the ATF to extend its life, as heat shortens the ATF lifespan.

3. By draining the AT first:
    - Removing the drain plug allows you to clean out the metal on the magnetic plug. Then re-install the drain plug.
    - You now add fresh ATF in the Auto Transmission to start pushing fresh ATF into the TC. Of course, there will be some blending of new ATF and old ATF in the TC but the ATF is not allowed to return to the Auto Transmission because the Return Line has been disconnected.
    - As fresh ATF is continually added to the AT and the flushing cycle starts again, the new ATF is pushed into the TC --> through Trans Cooler ---> into Catch Pan.

With this technique, it ensures a 99% new fluid if performed correctly.

HTH.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I flushed the fluid in my 2006 doing the drain and replace method. I ordered a case of Z1 fluid from Marno Muth (mdmuth@gmail.com) for $70 shipped (Virginia to Ohio). He also included a bottle of brake fluid and power steering fluid.

I was too lazy to crack the filler bolt, so I used 5/8" OD x 1/2" ID clear vinyl tubing and a small clamp from Home Depot. I attached the tubing to a funnel and attached the other end of the tubing to the dipstick check hole. I didn't remove the plastic splash shield attached to the front bumper. I do wish I had put a piece of card board or something next to the drain to redirect the flow downward. It was a little bit of a mess after the first drain!

I'm glad that's all done, but now I have a bunch of used Z1. What did you all do with your used transmission fluid?

Re: Re: Experiences with my own 2007 EX transmission fluid change

Originally posted by cnn
    This thread may seem messy but if you look carefully and follow my direction (I made the mistake because I did not have Honda diagram for Trans lines, so you don't have to), then for 2007, simply undo the clamp on the return hose at radiator (driver's side nipple), then drain from the nipple. Straightforward!

As mentioned above, Transmission Types are different for 2005-06 vs 2007-09 models. So:

2005-06 Trans: disconnect passenger's side return hose at cooler.

2007-2009 Trans: disconnect driver's side return hose at cooler.
    As mentioned above, Transmission Types are different for 2005-06 vs 2007-09 models. So:

Anyone know if the 2001 Odyssey is the same plumbing as the 2005-2006 listed above?

Thanks

cnn

Re: Re: Re: Experiences with my own 2007 EX transmission fluid change

Originally posted by odysseyguy1

Anyone know if the 2001 Odyssey is the same plumbing as the 2005-2006 listed above?

Thanks
    Give this a try:
    Aftermarket ATF Cooler Installation Notes

If in doubt, disconnect the Hose on Stock Cooler, then ask some one to crank and run engine for only 2 seconds, you will know which is return line, get a hose to the nipple to prevent spill.

leave it to dealer

Really interesting posts here and lots of detail.

But, I have decided to leave this job for the dealer.
    Considering the hassles of multiple flushes, fooling with hose clamps, cleaning up inevitable spills of funky atf, and disposing of several gallons of used fluid after the fact, the dealer charge of $170 seems like a decent bargain. Fluid itself is at least $75 of that. I like DIY, but in this case I'm willing to fork out $95 for the dealer service every 30k.

Just my 2 cents.

On the other hand the ody oil change looks pretty easy to do.

cnn

Re: leave it to dealer

Originally posted by VanDamn
    ...But, I have decided to leave this job for the dealer.
    Considering the hassles of multiple flushes, fooling with hose clamps, cleaning up inevitable spills of funky atf, and disposing of several gallons of used fluid after the fact, the dealer charge of $170 seems like a decent bargain. Fluid itself is at least $75 of that. I like DIY, but in this case I'm willing to fork out $95 for the dealer service every 30k.....
    FYI, Dealer does not do ATF flush, they simply drain and refill ATF (basilly drain 3 qts out and add 3 fresh qts and that is it) and charge you big bucks for a 15 minute job! Draining and Refilling ATF is very fast and is easier than engine oil change!!!

This DIY is in fact very easy if you follow the tips, once the hose clamp on the Return Line is off, it is a breeze.

Re: leave it to dealer

Originally posted by VanDamn
    Really interesting posts here and lots of detail.

But, I have decided to leave this job for the dealer.
    Considering the hassles of multiple flushes, fooling with hose clamps, cleaning up inevitable spills of funky atf, and disposing of several gallons of used fluid after the fact, the dealer charge of $170 seems like a decent bargain. Fluid itself is at least $75 of that. I like DIY, but in this case I'm willing to fork out $95 for the dealer service every 30k.

Just my 2 cents.

On the other hand the ody oil change looks pretty easy to do.
    i've done the multiple drain and fills on both my crv and my ody. very, very easy. but even if you do 4 drain and fills not all the old fluid is replaced.

so my crv was due for a tranny fluid change. picked up a case of 12 bottles from dealer. but in the mean time, i took the crv into my mechanic for a couple odd things. we started talking about honda and transmissions and he showed me the fluid exchanger he uses. not a high pressure flush machine but a low pressure fluid exchanger. this place stocks all atf for most cars including honda z-1. so before they do any job they purge the machine by filling it with atf they are about to use and putting the machine through a cycle to get rid of any old fluid. then they drop the splash shield, hook up the line to the machine and old fluid comes out and new goes in. uses the whole 12 bottles to make sure it's all new fluid in the system. and only takes about 5 minutes.

now this is exactly the same as what cnn did. and i'm cheap so i'm usually DIY but your points around mess, disposing of old fluid, as well as convenience (i was there anyway) were what got me to get the fluid change done at this shop. plus they let me watch the whole thing to put me at ease. it was $100 for the service. not cheap but not a rip. so if you are taking it to the dealer for the fluid change and they are charging you $175 make sure they do a 3xdrain and fill at the minimum. with these tranny's in the ody you want to make sure you get as much old fluid out as you can.
    Last edited by Richie_Richie; 10-24-2009 at 07:52 AM.
    2003 Ody EX
    2004 CRV

Unless you flush all ATF before filling the new one, there will always be a mixing of ATF.

I do a flush and fill with my oil change. This way, there is new ATF regularly and I don't put new ATF that I'll flush 10 min later...
    2005 Odyssey EX-L

did a flush and now D2 and 1 will not shift

I flushed as mentioned in this thread but gear down shift does not go to D2 and1 .it onlt goes to D i did a test drive and goes from park to drive and does not go lower.what could be the issue.
    Last edited by ramnamburi; 10-26-2009 at 11:09 PM.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements