Honda Odyssey Forum banner

2003 Automatic Transmission Filter

47K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  davedrivesody 
#1 ·
This forum is excellent and I would appreciate any help or comments.

I have a 2003 Honda Ody with 144,000 miles on it - a large majority highway miles. I have heard many horror stories about the automatic transmission on the Ody, yet the Honda dealership looks at me like I am crazy and tells me that the 2003 has no issues like the older second generation odys. He is wrong correct?

Does the 2003 have the automatic transmission filter? I asked for the dealership to service this and they refused citing that Honda says it is a "Nonserviceable" part. They won't even touch it.

I change my transmission fluid every other oil change which might delay the inevitable, however can any cite documentation that I can bring to Honda to make them change the autotrans filter?

Thanks for sharing any insight or similar experiences.

#4 ·
Your 2003 does indeed have an ATF filter. All the dealers toe the Honda corporate line that it is a non-serviceable part. If you want to replace it, you have two options: DIY or indie garage. It's a tricky job. I would want a high level of confidence in the garage that does it.

Another option would be to install an inline Magnefine ATF filter. It's a much easier job and also with less risk of subsequent problems. The factory filter would probably not trap any additional particles after that.

#5 ·
Part number is 25450-P7W-003.
Nomenclature: FILTER (ATF)

I'm holding this "non-serviceable part" in my hand right now.

Those guys at your dealer are complete dongs. My dealer (Milo Gordon Honda of Lawton, OK), once made aware that the part existed, gladly ordered me one when I asked for it.

There are some good threads with pictures with good details on tools needed and how to replace it.

OF

#7 ·
Thank you ALL for the responses because they do help. Has anyone had success in having the Honda dealership put this part in? And if so how did you talk them into it. I was told by the dealership that they would NOT put it in because it is designated as a "non-serviceable" part.

I don't trust my ability to put it in myself.

Thank you all again.

#23 ·
Thank you ALL for the responses because they do help. Has anyone had success in having the Honda dealership put this part in? And if so how did you talk them into it. I was told by the dealership that they would NOT put it in because it is designated as a "non-serviceable" part.

I don't trust my ability to put it in myself.

Any luck? I have the same issue with my 07 Honda Accord. No serviceable. Seems like it makes sense to replace

#8 ·
This appears to be a dealer issue and you might want to consider another more cooperative one.

I had the dealer install an after-market ATF filter on my 2001 (which does not have the canister-type ATF filter the 2002-2006 Odysseys do) and they had no problems with that. I did this mainly to preserve what, if any, Extended Warranty I had left on the transmission. It is the Magnefine ATF filter (magnetic and paper filter in one) and is easily serviceable now. Best decision I ever made IMO.

Keep up that ATF exchange schedule.

#11 ·
I was successful in having a dealer install the AT filter on my '02, and I didn't even by it from them. I got it online, and had them install it during a regular service.

The service advisor seemed completely non-plussed about it, but did have to walk back to the shop and talk with a few techs to determine how long it would take to install.

They charged me $50. Money well spent as it would have taken me at least 1.5 hours and I had just had a mani/pedi, and didn't want to ruin it.
:)

#12 ·
I DIY'd it just for the bragging rights of having achieved what the Honda Corporation has declared impossible! Oooh Raaa!

It would definately mess up your manicure though..... :p

#13 ·
I love this. I went to the parts department today at my local Honda dealer and asked for a transmission filter for my 06' ody and was quickly told that there wasn't one.

I then asked him to pull up the schematic of the 06' tranny and he immediately found the filter.

Their own parts guys don't even know there is a filter....

BTW - Thank you to this forum for all the help! You guys are great.

#14 ·
Auto part Oil filter Vehicle Wheel Car

Here is the new / old filter. My dealer didn't even know it existed. I spoke with the service manager, who is a 25 year master mechanic and he didn't even know of the filters existence.

Further he said that since Honda didn't list it as a part that needed service, he didn't see any reason to change them out.

I ask you, does that look like a filter that needs to be changed?

#24 ·
View attachment 37530

Here is the new / old filter. My dealer didn't even know it existed. I spoke with the service manager, who is a 25 year master mechanic and he didn't even know of the filters existence.

Further he said that since Honda didn't list it as a part that needed service, he didn't see any
Any chance you know where I can find the schematics for my 07 Honda Accord SE V6?

#15 ·
With all the transmission troubles the 2002-2004's had, it amazes me that most Honda dealers have no clue about this.

OF

#16 ·
I ran into some of the same nonsense from our local Honda dealer. The service writer denied that our '02 Ody had a tranny filter. When I told him I'd changed it twice, he told me I must have a remanufactured transmission. As the original owner, I know it's still the original transmission. BTW, this conversation started when we were taking delivery of our new '14 Ody. Based on the pdf Owner's manual, I thought I'd be able to get the Service Manual for the new one; but American Honda pulled a fast one and they will not release the data to Helm, who publishes the Service Manuals.:nothappy:

The instructions available on this Forum were crucial in my changing the tranny filter. It's a bugger to get to but should take only about 10m minutes to actually swap out. And I found the 10mm flex head made getting one of the bolts out a breeze.

#18 ·
You might have to select and print excerpts of this thread: Meet Your Honda AT Filter. mathproshs does a nice job with text and pics.

Every time I look at that pic journeyoffaith took of the used filter....wow.

OF

#19 ·
If the factory filter is plugged, the tranny probably will not last much longer whether you change it, add a magnefine and/or an aux cooler. The damage is most likely already done. Not from the filter being clogged,but from where all those particles came from. Still, changing, adding etc would not hurt, but don't expect miracles.
Buffalo4

#20 ·
I am a college student and have a 2003 Odyssey with 204,000 miles, third owner and it has really been great running and super handy car for me. Always moving stuff and giving lots of people rides. I noticed the RMPs occasionally increase (doesn't shift) between 1st and 2nd. Calms down when I stop accelerating. Doesn't happen all the time, but been going on a few months and seeming more frequent. It just threw code P0730. I had the transmission fluid changed, and a month later my mechanic said it was dirty. I am trying to see if this car can last me another 2 years to finish school. Before I spend $3,000 on a new transmission, is there more testing or other fix since this doesn't happen all the time? Someone mentioned a pressure test to really determine in the transmission is bad, and changing the AFT filter. Would really appreciate some opinion.

#22 ·
Do another drain and fill with Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF which you can buy at Walmart ( 1 gal jug) for around $18.
See what happens.
If it helps, do another two with driving time in-between (10 to 100+ miles or so).
Doing those extra drain and fills (easy to do yourself) will most likely get you closer to the answer.
Buffalo4
PS: Approx 3 1/2 qts per drain and fill.; ALWAYS check the ATF dipstick properly after doing this.
Do another drain and fill with Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF which you can buy at Walmart ( 1 gal jug) for around $18.
See what happens.
If it helps, do another two with driving time in-between (10 to 100+ miles or so).
Doing those extra drain and fills (easy to do yourself) will most likely get you closer to the answer.
Buffalo4
PS: Approx 3 1/2 qts per drain and fill.; ALWAYS check the ATF dipstick properly after doing this.
Thank you so much! I am going to get this going right now, and will try and post an update of the results. You are so helpful :)

#21 · (Edited)
See what happens.
Buffalo4

#28 ·

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.