Valve adjustment?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valve adjustment?

Question Valve adjustment?

Time was, you adjusted the valves on your Honda engine every 30K miles. Period. This is how Honda designed the engine, and this got you trouble-free motoring.

With the Ody, no such regular adjustment is specified. Instead, the techs are advised to adjust the valves "only when they're noisy". Problem is, by that time it's too late. The damage has been done.

I suspect that Honda changed this specification solely for marketing purposes, to keep the regular maintenance costs down. Adjusting the valves on this beast is an extremely difficult job and is very expensive.

That being said, does anyone know the reality of this situation? I'm big on preventive maintenance, and I *will* perform the task if needed.

So, I'll keep asking this until I get an answer. Does anyone know if the 02 Ody engine is immune to the previous requirement for regular scheduled valve adjustments like they say, or is it so much hooey and I should go ahead and do it anyway?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Thumbs up

How about you just go ahead and do it and let the rest of us know how it went?
    2001 TW LX

02-RRP-EX
    I never did it on my Civic (although required) and it's still running (230K) !

Originally posted by ryan baca
    How about you just go ahead and do it and let the rest of us know how it went?
    Boatload of money, that's why.

Besides, I'm nowhere near the 30K miles yet. I'm just being proactive here.

Originally posted by adam1991

Boatload of money, that's why.

Besides, I'm nowhere near the 30K miles yet. I'm just being proactive here.
    From the sound of your original post I thought you were going to perform the valve adjusment yourself. I see now that you intend to let the dealer or independant do the work. Valve adjustments as a rule are not very complicated, nowadays getting to the valves seems to be the tough part. If you are worried about future expenditures you might pick up a Helms manual and start prepping now. Just a suggestion.
    2001 TW LX

Yeah, that's an idea.

You're right--valve adjustments in and of themselves aren't hard. But on this engine, getting to the valves--in particular, the rear set--is a huge pain.

One thing that might reduce/eliminate the need for valve adjustments is that the rocker arms have roller-bearing cam-followers.

You will also need to buy a special valve adjustment tool. The 2 I know of are Honda and Snap On. I think they are about $50.
    '10 Silver EXL - R&N
    '02 Subaru WRX Wagon WRB
    '01 GG LX - Traded with bad tranny

Unless you are mechanically inclined, I would not recommend adjusting the valves yourself..especially on a 3.5 litre V6..

Plain and simple, too much room for error..several times a year I hear those infamous words " I adjusted my valves and now my car won't start!" the consumer who was trying to save a few bucks ends up spending a whole lot more money on costly repairs..

Your motor is what we call an "interferance" motor which means the valves will make contact with the pistons due to inproper valve timing, this is kinda important and you really don't want to mess this up , not to mention the 24 lock nuts involved, one loose lock nut can cause a whole lot of valvetrain damage in a very short period of time..

I can agree with the "only adjust valves when noisey" statement, but I say this carefully because it doesn't pertain to all Honda makes/models, valvetrains have made dramatic changes within the past few years and do not require the adjustments as frequently, I think you will be safe to only adjust valves when needed on your 02 Odyssey...
    I'm not really a Honda Tech... I just play one on this forum..

An "interference" design means that the piston will hit the valve if the valve stays fully open while the piston comes to the top of its stroke. This is only probable if your timing belt breaks or you have some other catastrophic failure. My mother found this out the hard way and couldn't figure out why the engine was making some really bad noises and wouldn't start. Thankfully, it was only a Fiat and wasn't worth fixing.

Anyway, I seriously doubt you could cause the piston to hit the valve by misadjusting the valve clearance. Valve adjustment is typically within a pretty small range and I doubt very much you could misadjust it far enough to cause it to hit the piston. It would have to be fully open when off the cam lobe (meaning it is open all the time). Probably wouldn't run very well especially if you managed to adjust all the valves this way. Heck, if you did this, you may as well just take the valves out.

I agree though that a loose locknut rattling around the valvetrain would not be good! Think I'll leave adjustment to the pros.
    LeoR.

02 Starlight Silver EXL-RES

Valves don't have to be fully open to smack the pistons- but it is unlikely (but very possible) to mess up a valve adjustment that bad unless you don't know what you are doing.

The newer Hondas with roller rockers show little valve recession at 30K miles. Most valve clearances are dead on with a few requiring less tha 1/16th of a turn to get them "perfect."

If the clearance is too large (loose valves) you will obviously have some noise. If the clearance is too little (tight valves) you will most likely have a rough idle and may even end up with a MIL and a fuel metering code.

I don't plan on touching the valves on my 02 V6 Accord until 90-120k if that. Removing the valve covers isn't simple like it used to be on the 4 banger. If you plan on doing it yourself keep in mind that tightening the locknuts can be a delicate procedure- if you don't work with nuts an bolts on japanese engines on a regular basis you might end up stripping rocker arm threads if you don't have the "feel" for the right torque. Using feeler guages properly also requires a little practice. It definitely is a doable task- as long as you know what you are getting in to.

Originally posted by DavidGSR
    You will also need to buy a special valve adjustment tool. The 2 I know of are Honda and Snap On. I think they are about $50.
    Do you have a link to a pic of the tools?
    2002 EX-TW ; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels, California Flames, K&N Air Filter; FilterMag magnetic oil filter; Galaxy DX-959 mobile CB w/ Wilson 1,000 mag mount antenna;Valentine One; Schrader Nickle Plated Brass Valve Stem Caps; Odyssey 1200MJT mil-spec battery.

You don't have to buy the special tool(s). A 10mm or 12mm box wrench and flat blade screwdriver can be used to adjust the valves. The "special" tool makes it easier in most cases, but cannot be used in some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    Time was, you adjusted the valves on your Honda engine every 30K miles. Period. This is how Honda designed the engine, and this got you trouble-free motoring.

With the Ody, no such regular adjustment is specified. Instead, the techs are advised to adjust the valves "only when they're noisy". Problem is, by that time it's too late. The damage has been done.

I suspect that Honda changed this specification solely for marketing purposes, to keep the regular maintenance costs down. Adjusting the valves on this beast is an extremely difficult job and is very expensive.

That being said, does anyone know the reality of this situation? I'm big on preventive maintenance, and I *will* perform the task if needed.

So, I'll keep asking this until I get an answer. Does anyone know if the 02 Ody engine is immune to the previous requirement for regular scheduled valve adjustments like they say, or is it so much hooey and I should go ahead and do it anyway?
    I know this is an old post but there is a flaw in the basic assertion presented here. "Time was, you adjusted the valves on your Honda engine every 30K miles. Period. This is how Honda designed the engine," This is not correct. Honda designed the engine and then recommended that the valves be adjusted every 30k. They did not design the engine to have the valves adjusted at 30k miles. When any engine manufacture recommends the valve adjustment they guess. What makes a valve go out of adjustment is the seat and face of the valve wear into each other. How much this wear is is really unknown. But a good guess can be made and that is what determines the recommended adjustment interval. I assure you if Honda, or any other manufacture, could design when a valve needs adjustment they would design it so it never needs adjustment.

And because nobody seems to have answered what the 02 odyssey engine valve adjustment interval is I will answer that. When ever I buy a new vehicle I also buy a factory service manual. Not some after market bit of crap but the real thing from the dealer. In my 1999-2002 Honda Service Manual it says that on 2002 engines the valves need to be adjusted every 105K miles.

Being in a place that the climate determines when I can work on my vehicles I am changing the timing belt and adjusting the valves on my 2002 Ody at a little under 200k. And I have to say the timing belt looked brand new. The other belts looked like crap but they were exposed to the elements. I bet I could have gotten another 100 to 200 K out of the timing belt before I had any problems. Just another example that the factory guesses when service is needed.

Holy back-from-the-arcives-resurrected-thread, Batman!

Quote Originally Posted by argon99 View Post
    ....***snip***....Being in a place that the climate determines when I can work on my vehicles I am changing the timing belt and adjusting the valves on my 2002 Ody at a little under 200k. And I have to say the timing belt looked brand new. The other belts looked like crap but they were exposed to the elements. I bet I could have gotten another 100 to 200 K out of the timing belt before I had any problems. Just another example that the factory guesses when service is needed.
    Welcome to the forum! I might respectfully disagree with that last point....I've seen a snapped timing belt that looked brand new (Mitsubishi I-4 engine, OEM belt). My brother just endured the same with an old Acura Vigor, and the timing belt looked great (other than where it broke). I think it was the fourth timing belt for that car, and it was time for him to "let it go" anyways, as the interior was starting to look like pure heck from sheer age and miles.

I will agree that the factory service intervals for various items are often guesses, and often heavily padded toward a conservative end, but not so much WAGs (Wildass Guesses) as SWAGs (Scientific Wildass Guesses).

OF
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 103.5k OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, chuck k fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod
    2002 Ody EX RES 96.0k OEM fogs & hitch, chuck k fog mod#1
    1998 Accord LX174k. DIY: Haynes 676 ATF cooler; T & acc belts & tensioners.
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements