power steering filter
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: power steering filter

power steering filter

a mechanic told my wife that we needed to change the power steering fluid and "filter". I have never heard of a power steering system having a filter on it. Has anyone else?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I've recently heard that you need a new mechanic!
    2013 Smoky Topaz Odyssey Touring
    2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T to replace the Integra
    2002 MB EXL-RES(sold at 137k miles)
    1994 Acura Integra GSR(sold in 2009 with 195k, stolen from new owner after only 7 months!)

LOL that is what I was thinking to. I need to go back and ask him to show me the filter. thanks

the only filter is in the p/s reservoir. it's a screen and not serviced
    95 odyssey lx
    94 civic lx
    92 civic lx
    71 olds delta 88

Coming at this from another direction, is this a new-to-you van? Maybe there's some sort of aftermarket filter on there that's not factory equipment, say like a Magnefine or something similar? Might it be this that your mechanic's talking about?

Sounds like one of these items included in the "Specified Maintenance" section of the Dealers Maintenance handbook. I would ask the service manager, where is this filter, how does he change it, and how much does it cost to change it? Then I would tell him, "Not at this time." Then do some research on the subject. Sounds a little bogus to me.
    2009 EX
    Ocean Mist Metallic

Tell him to change the filter and see how much he charges you, then ask to see the old filter.

2 thoughts: I had an old Mercedes that did have a power steering filter. It was an odd thing that went in the reservoir. So yes, they do exist... :-)

This being said, if you have an 05+ Ody, the technical manual does not mention a power steering filter.

As stated before, could be on a generic list of maintenance items.

Nicolas

Angry Honda Service Deceiving Customers on Power Steering Filter

For all of you having problems with noisy power steering pumps on year 2007 and beyond, I've had two separate dealers instruct me that the fluid needs to be changed out along with the "filter", with a cost of $139 to $190 AND that this issue is considered "maintenance" and not covered under warranty. What they DON'T say is that the filter is non-serviceable, located in the PS Reservoir. To change the filter, you ARE changing the reservoir, plain and simple.

So here's the rub: there is a technical service bulletin out on the reservoir and it is described as "defective". Why is it defective? There is a problem with the filter! Assuming that you are still in-warranty, Honda should be covering this under warranty. The technical service bulletin even says it is covered under warranty. I can think of two possible reasons why Honda is trying to charge customers rather than covering it under warranty: 1) to collect a higher amount from customers verses Honda as an in-warranty item OR 2) dealers are double billing, collecting from both customers AND turning it in to Honda as a warranty expense. Shame on them. This is not only unethical, it's also "fraud". I believe that case #1 above is most likely to be true, and that implies that this fraud is being perpetuated by Honda itself, that they are advising dealers to handle customers in this manner as too many dealers seem to be doing the same thing.

If you've encountered the same situation above, please post a reply.

jeez

thats a new one...
    2004 exl, Sandstone Metallic 100,000 miles DEAD...lost the tranny at 102k
    2004 Mazda 3 s, Titanium gray 79,000 miles

12. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements