Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Crankshaft holder for timing belt change...

21K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  otto888man 
#1 ·
This is for those who perform their own maintenance - we like to do the job right the 1st time & save a few bucks in the process.

For timing belt replacement, you will need a crankshaft holder.
Honda part# 07MAB-PY3010A

Thru Honda dealers, online it's around $58 + shipping - My local dealer wanted $82 & a 3 day wait.

As usual, the dealer is the LAST place to find a deal...

Schley Tool makes their own version - model #60100
www.toolparadise.com has it for only $38.81 + shipping (came out to $48.87 to my door)

http://search.cartserver.com/search...ry=database&maxhits=30&keywords=schley&go=GO!

This fits almost every Honda/Acura from 1990+
Not a bad investment for those who keep cars for a loooong time.

See less See more
#3 ·
nwf_snake said:
...His complaint about the "bought" tools where they were not long enough...
That's exactly why I bought the Schley version of this tool - it takes a 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar. You either use a long breaker bar or slide a pipe over your ratchet. Every car is different, so the Schley is pretty much universal.

The problem with the Honda tool & some other ones is that the bar is a seperate part # and has a fixed length.

#9 ·
The true advantage of the tool is not in getting the Crank bolt lose, it is get the correct torque when tightening. As many have detailed, the starter trick works to remove the crank bolt. Try to hold the crank and apply roughly 190 FT-LBS of torque without the motor turning. I don't think torquing against the parking pawl of the transmission (and applying the torque back through the trans-axle) is a good idea. And just making sure the bolt is tight is just plain dangerous. As I recall I paid ~$28.00 on eBay and it had free shipping, has worked fine for me.

#11 ·
bcjm,

Just talk to anyone who has had a harmonic balancer loosen up on them, if your lucky you get to tighten it, if not, it will likely cost a new crank shaft / short block. Not worth the risk for a tool that cost less than $50 (as I said I paid ~$28 on eBay). Russ

#14 ·
bcjm said:
The whole purpose of this tool is to hold the crankshaft pulley in place while losing the crankshaft bold?

Do I still need this tool if I can use an impact wrench?
I think yes. The tool will absorb the torque of the impact wrench. Otherwise your connecting rod bearings will take a beating. That's probably why Honda says to not use an impact wrench to remove the crankshaft bolt.

#15 ·
jets said:

For timing belt replacement, you will need a crankshaft holder.
Honda part# 07MAB-PY3010A

Thru Honda dealers, online it's around $58 + shipping - My local dealer wanted $82 & a 3 day wait.

As usual, the dealer is the LAST place to find a deal...

Schley Tool makes their own version - model #60100
www.toolparadise.com has it for only $38.81 + shipping (came out to $48.87 to my door)

http://search.cartserver.com/search...ry=database&maxhits=30&keywords=schley&go=GO!

This fits almost every Honda/Acura from 1990+
Not a bad investment for those who keep cars for a loooong time.
$82 ? My Honda dealer wanted $199 and a one week wait.

#16 ·
With an impact wrench, you don't need to hold the pulley at all. The whole point of an impact wrench is that the torque is applied with ridiculous pulses. The crankshaft barely moved when I was applying the 500+ lbs/ft of an air impact wrench several months ago.

#18 ·
Impact wrench must be tough on the rod bearings though...

#19 · (Edited)
Crank nut approach

So I'm going to be doing the timing belt service on my 07 EX-L before long and was thinking of approaches to breaking free the crank nut. People say getting a breaker bar on the nut and then whapping the starter works..... could be, but I've read not to do that (on a volvo forum) because you can damage the ring gear on the flywheel, and then the crank impulse sensor may not be able to read the crank speed properly without replacing the ring gear (read: drop the transmission $$$). So I'm a little hesitant to try that approach.

So here's my thought. Use a crank holder - the plumbing supply holders on page 4 of the 3rd gen t-belt diy thread sound like a cheap winner to me - and then use a breaker bar on the nut, with a pipe to lengthen the breaker "handle", and then jack upwards on the pipe, or maybe without the pipe extender. Put a folded towel over the pipe so if it breaks free quickly there's padding to prevent damage. Torquing the nut would just be a reverse of this process, but with the jack balanced on the handle of the torque wrench.

Appreciate any feedback on this positive or negative.
page 4 of the 3rd gen t-belt diy thread http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/141057-gen-3-timing-belt-write-up-here-4.html

#20 · (Edited)
Go ahead and try your idea, it may work. After you spend a couple of hours trying to get the bolt loose you can then spend two minutes doing the starter bump method and get on with the belt installation!

The bump worked for me, no problems during or after, and that was 20kmi ago.

#21 · (Edited)
Just get the tool. It fits every Honda I've ever owned and was a huge help when I had to do this timing belt service.

I got mine from EToolCart.com a number of years ago, but now Amazon has it for $27.25: LINK That is a great price for the right tool. I don't feel bad about paying just over $30 because it's been used a few times in our household (we're on Honda #5).

OF

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.