Crankshaft holder for timing belt change...
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crankshaft holder for timing belt change...

Crankshaft holder for timing belt change...

This is for those who perform their own maintenance - we like to do the job right the 1st time & save a few bucks in the process.

For timing belt replacement, you will need a crankshaft holder.
    Honda part# 07MAB-PY3010A

Thru Honda dealers, online it's around $58 + shipping - My local dealer wanted $82 & a 3 day wait.

As usual, the dealer is the LAST place to find a deal...

Schley Tool makes their own version - model #60100
    www.toolparadise.com has it for only $38.81 + shipping (came out to $48.87 to my door)

http://search.cartserver.com/search/...chley&go=GO%21

This fits almost every Honda/Acura from 1990+
    Not a bad investment for those who keep cars for a loooong time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

02-RRP-EX
    Wow, there's actually a special tool for that? The last time I tried changing a timing belt I couldn't get the crankshaft bolt loose ! Ended up letting my mechanic do it.

Originally posted by nwf_snake
    ...His complaint about the "bought" tools where they were not long enough...
    That's exactly why I bought the Schley version of this tool - it takes a 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar. You either use a long breaker bar or slide a pipe over your ratchet. Every car is different, so the Schley is pretty much universal.

The problem with the Honda tool & some other ones is that the bar is a seperate part # and has a fixed length.

I found a similar tool at
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...&n=228013&s=hi

Based on reviews, it seems pretty good.

The whole purpose of this tool is to hold the crankshaft pulley in place while losing the crankshaft bold?

Do I still need this tool if I can use an impact wrench?

Super Moderator
    Originally posted by bcjm
    The whole purpose of this tool is to hold the crankshaft pulley in place while losing the crankshaft bold?

Generally no, but your impact gun better be driven with adequate air pressure, no cheapie $99 compressors here...

Thanks. I use the impact wrench to open crankshaft bolt in many cars before. I just want to make sure this is not something I have to have to replace the belt. As long as there is enough room for the impact gun I should be ok then.

Super Moderator
    Thanks. I use the impact wrench to open crankshaft bolt in many cars before. I just want to make sure this is not something I have to have to replace the belt. As long as there is enough room for the impact gun I should be ok then.
    Plenty of room, access via right tire fender well....

The true advantage of the tool is not in getting the Crank bolt lose, it is get the correct torque when tightening. As many have detailed, the starter trick works to remove the crank bolt. Try to hold the crank and apply roughly 190 FT-LBS of torque without the motor turning. I don't think torquing against the parking pawl of the transmission (and applying the torque back through the trans-axle) is a good idea. And just making sure the bolt is tight is just plain dangerous. As I recall I paid ~$28.00 on eBay and it had free shipping, has worked fine for me.
    2000 LX, tranny cooler, original transmission, self maintained, 140K miles.

You have a point. Not sure how critical it is to torque to a specific number in this application. 9 out of 10 shops do not use torque wrench to tighten lug nuts for example.
    Last edited by bcjm; 04-01-2009 at 09:15 AM.

bcjm,

Just talk to anyone who has had a harmonic balancer loosen up on them, if your lucky you get to tighten it, if not, it will likely cost a new crank shaft / short block. Not worth the risk for a tool that cost less than $50 (as I said I paid ~$28 on eBay). Russ
    2000 LX, tranny cooler, original transmission, self maintained, 140K miles.

OK thanks. I do have a snap-on torque wrench. Is 190 lb-ft for sure?

You can also rent the Crank Pull Socket from Auto stores like O'reily or AutoZone. They had me put a deposit down of $52, but that was refunded when I brought the tool back.

-John
    If its not broken, break it! That way you can justify new tools to the wife.

I think yes. The tool will absorb the torque of the impact wrench. Otherwise your connecting rod bearings will take a beating. That's probably why Honda says to not use an impact wrench to remove the crankshaft bolt.
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission at 117,000 miles/189,000 km, Amsoil ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, Magnefine aux ATF filter, 16 ATF drain & fills

Re: Crankshaft holder for timing belt change...

Originally posted by jets

For timing belt replacement, you will need a crankshaft holder.
    Honda part# 07MAB-PY3010A

Thru Honda dealers, online it's around $58 + shipping - My local dealer wanted $82 & a 3 day wait.

As usual, the dealer is the LAST place to find a deal...

Schley Tool makes their own version - model #60100
    www.toolparadise.com has it for only $38.81 + shipping (came out to $48.87 to my door)

http://search.cartserver.com/search/...chley&go=GO%21

This fits almost every Honda/Acura from 1990+
    Not a bad investment for those who keep cars for a loooong time.
    $82 ? My Honda dealer wanted $199 and a one week wait.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements