WHY is my TPMS light on? (not the usual situation)
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WHY is my TPMS light on? (not the usual situation)

WHY is my TPMS light on? (not the usual situation)

Don't kill the newb for asking an obvious question, I didn't just swap the wheels or something like that.

I have a 2008 LX. Just bought it. Great! But the "TPMS" light is on.

The steel wheels are obviously original.

Would it come on if the battery was drained?

Is the consensus still that for an LX, a trip to a dealer (or well-equipped tire store) is required?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Did you get an owner's manual with the van? If not, its linked in the stickies. It has a troubleshooting section on TPMS issues.
    When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

Quote Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
    Don't kill the newb for asking an obvious question, I didn't just swap the wheels or something like that.

I have a 2008 LX. Just bought it. Great! But the "TPMS" light is on.

The steel wheels are obviously original.

Would it come on if the battery was drained?

Is the consensus still that for an LX, a trip to a dealer (or well-equipped tire store) is required?
    Forgive the obvious... but I HAVE to ask. Did you check the tire pressures on all 4 tires???

I don't know the specs of a 2008 but...some cars have 5 tires on the system.

Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreBenz View Post
    I don't know the specs of a 2008 but...some cars have 5 tires on the system.
    Perhaps your former Benzes did but not the oddy.
    When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

Quote Originally Posted by dvpatel View Post
    Perhaps your former Benzes did but not the oddy.
    Ah I see. Thanks.

Actually, my Benzes were old school - no TPMS, they used the ABS system and gave the tire pressure warning from that.

I learned the hard way about checking the spare on my 2009 RAV4. It took me a week before I figured it out.

Quote Originally Posted by megatron View Post
    Forgive the obvious... but I HAVE to ask. Did you check the tire pressures on all 4 tires???
    It's not the "low pressure" light that looks like a bulging tire with exclamation point.

It's the "your TPMS system needs to be reset" light that's just the letters "TPMS".

But yes, pressures are fine.

It's not the "low pressure" light that looks like a bulging tire with exclamation point.

It's the "your TPMS system needs to be reset" light that's just the letters "TPMS".

If it's the TPMS light that means there is a problem fault with the TPMS computer... Mine turned out to be a bad cell on the battery, dealer put new battery in and It's been fine since.

If you're lucky it will go away on it's own.

I had the exact same thing on my 2008 LX this past winter. It came on/off a few times over a week or two and eventually turned off and (*knock on wood*) hasn't come back on since.

Tire pressures were right on the whole time.

Joel
    2008 Honda Ody LX babe magnet.
    2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i CVT.
    Vehicles of the past: 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2007 Chevy Cobalt LS, 2001 Windstar, 2005 Trailblazer 4x4, 2002 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 and lots more

I have a 2007 EXL and have had an ongoing issue of the TPMS indicator being lit randomly.

The TPMS indicator first lit at about 19k miles. Took it to dealer where first a service writer and then a “technician” explained to me that a lit TPMS indicator meant a tire had low pressure. I explained to them that this was the TPMS indicator not the Low Tire Pressure indicator. They told me both indicators performed effectively the same function. I noticed sitting right on the service desk that of the various Honda brochures displayed, one was on TPMS. I had to show this Honda brochure to these two Honda dealership employees and explain to them that the two indicators are indeed different and do not perform the same function. The “technician” then told the service writer to write it up and they would look at it. Their diagnosis was that the tire pressure was too high (40 psi) in all four tires; their solution was to lower the pressures to 33 on the front and 35 on the rear (even though Honda recommends 35 psi front and rear). Needless to say, their diagnosis and solution were both wrong, the TPMS indicator continued to randomly light.

A few months later (at 25k miles), my wife takes it to another dealer. They said it required a part they would have to order. A week or so later, we arranged for the necessary rides and took in the van the part replaced. Oops, they ordered the wrong part. They had to order the correct part and would call again when it came in. I told them not to bother as there was another dealer that was more convenient since they were closer to my work.

Another few months further along (at 33k miles), I take van into dealer number 3. Their diagnosis dilemma was that according to the trouble codes stored in the TPMS computer, either all four wheel sensors are randomly failing (all at the same time) or the single control unit is bad. After consulting the master techs at Honda, they determine it is more probable that the failure is the single item rather than the four independent items all failing at the same time. (These folks are true analytical geniuses.)

Three weeks later (now at 35k miles), the part is in. Drop off the van at 0700, told it would be ready at lunchtime, get ride to dealership at 1630 to discover van is still in state of disassembly and won’t be complete until next day. Approximately 90 minutes later, I am finally heading home in a little clown-car rental. They got it all back together and I picked up the van the next day. The TPMS indicator illuminated while driving home.

That last entry was about 3 years and 45k miles ago. To this day, the TPMS indicator lights occasionally. I read something in the 2011+ forums that the problem may be related to smartphones. Neither my wife nor myself have a smartphone, but I suppose it is possible we could be getting interference from someone else using one.

The moral of my story is this: If your TPMS indicator is just randomly lit, learn to ignore it. It is not worth the aggravation dealing with the village idiots employed at Honda dealerships. Plus, if you choose to not just totally ignore it, you can make a game of it, when it lights, have everyone guess how long it will stay lit this time.
    2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L
    2001 Nissan Xterra SE
    1983 Toyota Celica GT-S

I use black tape when I run the snows without the TPMS sensors installed...
    05 EX-L Midnight Blue Pearl
    01 EX (traded in)
    97 CRV
    09 CRV

cnn
    There are 2 distinct issues with TPMS light:

- True low pressure (such as tire pressure at let's say 22 psi etc.) ---> dash light

- Malfunction in the TPMS system: for example, TPMS computer does not recognize the TPMS sensor because either the TPMS sensor runs out of battery or the TPMS in the snow tires that one just installed are not recognized by the TPMS computer (this is my case...I use black tape to cover the TPMS light in the winter when I run snow tires).
    cnn: 2007 Odyssey LX

Well, I took it back to the selling dealer for this and another issue - key fobs wouldn't program - and the key fob problem required replacing the power door lock module, so I was without my van for a week while they scrambled to find one. They said one of the wheel sensors was bad and replaced it.

Then the light came back on once my wife had driven about 15 miles. Really?

I'm going to give them one more go and then yank the damned light. I drove for a decade without needing a sensor to tell me what a handheld pressure gauge could.

15. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements