Winter tires/rims with no TPMS
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter tires/rims with no TPMS

tds

Winter tires/rims with no TPMS

I'm planning to order winter tires/rims without TPMS sensors for my new 2012 Odyssey. I've heard that not running TPMS sensors will cause the TPMS indicator light to come one (which I can live with), but also that VSA can not be disabled which I understand can lead to traction problems if drive on snowy/slippery roads. Is this true?

Read that on previous models that a fuse can be pulled to disable VSA. Has anyone done this? Any issues with this? Which fuse?

Thanks,

tds

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I'm planning to do the same thing as well, so any insight would be helpful. I went all last winter with just the stock Michelin all-seasons and there were a few situations where a good set of winter tires would have really made the difference.

Check out this thread:

Winter Tire wheels

Which winter tires and rims are you going with? Originally, I was planning to go with Bridgestone Blizzaks but now I am leaning towards the Michelin X-Ice. I was also going to go with steel rims, but I found a decent deal for alloy rims so I'll probably just go with those. I'm also going one size smaller from 18" to 17".

Last edited by Gstom1; 10-26-2011 at 12:01 PM.
    2011 Honda Odyssey Touring (Canadian) Polished Metal Metallic

tds
    I'm getting a 16" Tire and Alloy wheel package from tirerack. May go with Blizzaks as I've had good experience with them in in the past.

The link you provides had some posts from people who have had winter traction issues due to tpms sensors not being installed which doesn't allow VCS to be disabled. Would really like to find a way to run without tmps sensors and not have this traction issue.

tds

If you are buying winter tires and rims, you cannot downsize the 17" to 16" on the 2011 or 2012 as the brake caliper is bigger and requires the 17" for clearance. You don't need the sensors in Canada, but the VSA will not be able to be disabled.

I too was thinking of the XIce, but after reading some reviews and talking to a mechanic, I am leaning towards the Toyo Observe GSI-5, which for a little more are a far superior tire. I have had the Toyo G-02's on my previous Ody, and they were amazing in the snow and ice.

I have found prices in Ottawa area for around $1400+tax for 17" OEM steel rims and GSI-5s.
    2011 Ody Black EX-L RES (ambient lighting, rear mud guards, roof rails, block htr)
    2002 Ody SS EX-L RES (Fogs, leather steering, mud flaps, lock nuts, cargo tray, Polk EX365s, full nose mask)
    2008 Ford F250 FX4 6.4 Diesel (to pull the 2010 Heartland Eagle Ridge 35QBBS)

tds
    Mr. Z, You are correct. I meant to say 17". The big concern from me is that inability to disable VSA if I run without TPMS and whether that will have a significant affect on traction in slippery winter conditions, which I have read in a few places that it may.

Being unable to disable VSA is a huge hindrance. I had to turn back from a steep slope in Old Montreal with my non VSA winter tires as the vehicle just refused to spin the wheels due to VSA being on.

Trust me it's embarassing to get out of the car and explain to the driver behind me what was going on and that further honking wouldn't get my vehicle to budge and he had to reverse it out to let me escape

Needless to say I have TPMS on my freshly orderered set of winter wheels.

I would use my stock alloy with the sensors and put winter tires on them and buy another set and use that as my summer set.

tds
    Good suggestion. May end up doing that.

Tool delivery of a 2011 EXL yesterday, mu fourth odyssey but first with tire monitoring. I did see a reference in the owners manual to lack disabling the system having an impact on

Try again. Saw a reference in owners manual to impact on VSA but couldn't find it this morning. Anyway I live in Newfoundland, Canada, where snow tires are a must. So I toddle over to the stock room to order steel rims and sensors only to have two clerks joined by the service manager recommending against it. The majority view seemed to be to put the snow tires on the alloy rims that came with the vehicle recognizing that every so ofter I might want to have the rims refinished if they discolor. Seems they have had issues with getting the sensors working properly enough times that the majority view was, "If it was mine, that's what I'd do". So I did. I passed on the steel rims, went over to Costco and ordered Michelin Lattitude Xice 11's which I will install on the original rims and see where it takes me.

CR's Take
    An excellent choice for severe winter conditions.
    HighsThe top rated winter tire with excellent snow traction and stopping on ice. Comfortable ride and quiet.
    LowsLong stops on dry and wet pavement.

The is Consumer Reports take on the Michelin Xice 11 or whatever the correct name is.

winter tires and tpms

Mr Z - regarding rims - you can purchase the BMW M3 rims - they have a 47mm offset that will fit. I've just purchased a set at Kal Tire, going -1 from 18 to 17" tire for winters. Also available online, another poster on this site has put pictures up for reference.

As for TPMS - major PITA. been back and forth between Honda and the tire installer. Been driving around with TPMS alarm and light on for three days (true insanity, rather listen to screaming children for 8 hours) had difficulty with various sensors. Must say Kal Tire was great in trying to overcome Honda's ridiculous set ups, props to them.

Tires - Nokian Hakkapalita R - driven through icy mountain roads with them, swear by them. This is my second set.
    Last edited by PC11; 11-16-2011 at 11:33 PM. Reason: add tire info

Quote Originally Posted by tds View Post
    I'm getting a 16" Tire and Alloy wheel package from tirerack. May go with Blizzaks as I've had good experience with them in in the past.

The link you provides had some posts from people who have had winter traction issues due to tpms sensors not being installed which doesn't allow VCS to be disabled. Would really like to find a way to run without tmps sensors and not have this traction issue.

tds
    As mentioned, the 16" won't clear. (As a general rule, the diameter of the spare rim is likely the smallest that will clear front & rear brake calipers.)

The Blizzak WS-70 worked great for us last year, but snowfall didn't prove to be much of a challenge vs. previous years.
    -Jamie
    '11 Touring Elite
    '03 EVO
    '91 GVR4

Received my package and got it installed. Recommended Tirerack installer couldn't get the TPMS sensors included to work on my Touring and neither a close-by dealership. It does the same thing as PC11: Constant door open noise and blinking - was just awful to drive for 1h15.

So no, it's definitely not a cakewalk even with the Touring model that supposedly can handle two sets..

Going to my local dealership to see if they can do anything with those monday

Quote Originally Posted by hwlcd View Post
    I would use my stock alloy with the sensors and put winter tires on them and buy another set and use that as my summer set.
    That's....actually pretty smart.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements