Honda Odyssey Forum banner

2014 Odyssey EX TPMS - no reprogramming needed?

19K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  rodenti 
#1 ·
I just called my dealer to help prepare myself for my winter tire purchase and was told that the 2014 Odysseys no longer need TPMS sensors on the rims as they are integrated to the vehicle in some way. Can someone please clarify what is different with the 2014 Odysseys compared to the 2011 to 2013 models? My dealer made it seem as though I could buy a set or rims and winter tires and not have to worry about reprogramming sensors every season.

#3 ·
Do you happen to know if it required any reprogramming on their end? Maybe it just needs a set of sensors on both wheels and somehow no reprogramming is needed? Or maybe they can move the sensors to the new wheels without having to reprogram?

#5 ·
That might make sense then. It might be that you need sensors on both sets of wheels (or transfer the sensors back and forth) but that no programming is required and that the sensors are automatically calibrated in the 2014 models now whereas the 2013 or older models had to be calibrated by the dealer every time you switched wheels (unless you had the Touring Elite which allowed 2 sets of wheels to be kept in memory if I recall correctly).

#8 · (Edited)
Hi DWF_Ottawa: I called Frisby Tires on Hazeldean Rd (613-591-8473 http://www.frisbytire.com) and got a quote of $60 per EZ-Sensor installed and cloned. The person confirmed for me that the vehicle does not need to be re-programmed when you switch between the two set of wheels (because there is only one set of ID's for the vehicle to remember/recognize).

Good luck!

#11 ·
I bought something similar - the ATEQ tool. Haven't had a chance to try it yet but the vendor demonstrated it to me. Pretty simple as long as you have the codes for both sets of tires. He read them for me using another tool and did a printout. Now I have all the codes and can just upload them with each tire swap.

#13 ·
I bought this: ATEQ TPMS QuickSet

You will need the codes from your existing set of wheels (on the car) AND the set from the winter wheels. Once you have this, you simply upload them into the quickset software and set winter for one set of codes and summer for the other. Then you plug it into the OBD port and press the button for which codes you want to program. You drive for a few kms and that's it.

I live close to the ATEQ office in Mississauga, so I went there for a demo. He used the VT30 to read the codes from my winter tires, and the stock tires, then went and uploaded those to the software. Then simply printed them out, showed me how to program it and I bought it right there on the spot.

I suspect that if you wanted to have more control you'd buy the VT30 or maybe VT15 but the quick set is all I need.

Hope that helps!

#17 ·
Hi Patrick_Ottawa:

Today I just closed a deal on a 2014 EX-L/Navi.
I asked the salesman if I could get the TPMS sensor ID's so I could clone them for a set of winter wheels and tires.
He gave me the same story as you received: that there are no longer any TPMS sensors and that there would be no problem switching wheels.
When asked how this could be done he said that the pressure was monitored through the ABS sensor "just like the Accord".
I was skeptical but found this: 2013 - 2014 Honda Accord TPMS System | How To Recalibrate Patty Peck Honda.

Can anyone else confirm if the 2014 Odyssey has switched to an indirect monitoring system and sensors are no longer required?

#18 · (Edited)
Hi Patrick_Ottawa:

Today I just closed a deal on a 2014 EX-L/Navi.
I asked the salesman if I could get the TPMS sensor ID's so I could clone them for a set of winter wheels and tires.
He gave me the same story as you received: that there are no longer any TPMS sensors and that there would be no problem switching wheels.
When asked how this could be done he said that the pressure was monitored through the ABS sensor "just like the Accord".
I was skeptical but found this: 2013 - 2014 Honda Accord TPMS System | How To Recalibrate Patty Peck Honda.

Can anyone else confirm if the 2014 Odyssey has switched to an indirect monitoring system and sensors are no longer required?

Given the fact that several posters here have bought aftermarket rims and transferred the sensors over to the new rims, I'd say this info above is incorrect. I just called my local dealer and have been told that only Accord and CRV use the system you have mentioned above. Don't trust what a salesman thinks he knows.

#19 ·
Hello,

I just bought Bridgestone Blizzack WS80 snow tires from Costco.ca and had them delivered to Pointe Claire, Qc store for my wife's Ody 14 EX. I bought just the tires and the mandatory service to install the tires because of the previous experience with 07 Ody TPMS programming issue or what I call a money grab at the dealer shop. Montreal (similar to Ottawa) winter requires steel wheel instead of the OEM Al-Alloy rims. So I am stuck on what's needed now.

Do I need to buy 17" steel wheels and TPMS sensors for this set or not?
If TPMS (direct sensor type as oppose to in-direct ABS type for the new Accord) are required then what is the best strategy for the seasonal changeover - considering what Costco may offer also? In any case, I need to get steel wheels so any advise there would also be helpful.

Thanks!

P.S. This is the 3rd Ody we own but the TPMS has made the simple seasonal tire change a pain.

#21 ·
Don't know about the Odyssey, but our 2013 Honda Accord does not use a tpms sensor. When I switch to my wheels with snow tires (17" summer rims, 16" winter rims) I just have to use the touch screen in the car to tell it to recalibrate to the new wheels. I believe if you change the tire pressures significantly you also have to recalibrate -- from what I can tell is that the car uses the ABS sensor to count the number of revolutions at highway speeds and can tell when a loss of air pressure causes it to change.

#22 ·
I was a owner of a 2007 Odyssey up until this year and it required TPMS sensors.

When I replaced the van with a 2015 model I was told the same as others - the van no longer uses TPMS sensors but instead relies on the antilock braking system to monitor tire rotation speeds (and thus tire pressure).

I'm in Canada, so is it possible that this is a difference between Canada and US models?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.