How to change rear shocks?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to change rear shocks?

Question How to change rear shocks?

Has anyone changed out the rear shocks of their 1999-2004 Odyssey by yourselves?

How difficult is it this job?

What should one look out for?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

The rear shock replacement should be a pretty easy job, if you have a good jack, jackstands and a couple of wrenches/sockets. First, you raise the rear of the van, which seems to be done one side at a time, with the jack under the suspension arm. Support it on a stand and remove the rear wheel. You then remove the bolt from the upper eye of the shock and remove the self-locking nut from the lower mount. The shock will then come free of its mountings. To install, the book says to lower the suspension and attach the new shock, installing the bolt and nut loosely. You are then to raise the jack again until the van lifts off the stand (of course, leaving the stand in place, for safety) and tighten the bolt and nut to specification, 47 lbs/ft for each. Reinstall the wheel and you should be ready to do the other side. The book suggests a wheel alignment check, but I cannot imagine why that would be necessary, except for peace of mind. One other tip I can offer is that you give the fasteners a shot of some sort of penetrating oil the night before you intend to do the job. Good luck.

Jerry O.
    Last edited by Jerry O; 09-08-2005 at 04:25 PM.
    UFCW Retired
    UNION, YES!!!
    (The labor movement, the folks who brought you the weekend)

2014 Celestial Blue EX-L + 19" Advanti B1 wheels w/ 245/50-19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires, a WeatherTech cargo mat w/ added "bumper bib", a ScanGauge II and a nice large basket in place of the difficult to use front console. AirLift kit #60815 and DashMat dash cover (black to beat windshield reflection) added.

2006 Ocean Mist Metallic EX gone to live with daughter and family in Illinois

Jerry O,
    Thanks so much for you reply.
    What book is this you are referring to?

Jerry O,

I was able to install the shocks in about an hour. Once I got the tire off the top bolt was right in front of me. The only difficult part was removing the bottom bolt, because I had the jack stand in the way of my impack wrench. The trick in removing the shock after the bolt and nut are removed is to oil it a little and compressing the shock from the top to the bottom (this give in enough clearance) and sliding it out to the side.

Thanks again. You saved me over $150.

I did mine today as well in about an hour. It was quite simple actually, especially on the second side when I realized that the compressed shock comes out far more easily than if not compressed. I also realized that the driver side rear shock was blown...as in no fluid and bent so apparently it has been this way for a while. It rides like newe again.

I just ordered replacement shocks for my 02, $70 for the pair at tirerack.com.

The local Honda dealer wanted $277 for parts and labor.

Do it yourself............save some cash!

FYI - I found the same shocks at car-stuff.com for $71.50 with free shipping for orders over $50. That saves me the $10 shipping (tirerack) to Colorado.
    Last edited by GATOROC; 11-04-2005 at 12:52 PM.
    '02 EXL, Granite green, Sony Dream System II

I just put on two new Monroe Refelx rear shocks. It was a snap. Thanks for the instructions. Also found that the clunking noise on the passenger side was indeed a failure in the rear shock. It's fully collapsed. Van rides great now. I think I'll have the front struts done soon to. This was well worth the money.

Great Deal on Struts/Shocks at Advance Auto

Just purchased two front monroe reflex struts item number 19720220(FL) and 19720219(FR) and two rear shocks item number 19720171 for a total of $188.87. Plus there is a $50 dollar rebate until April 29th when you buy the whole set.

So, for $138.00, I am replacing all four this weekend.

Monroe is also having a 90th anniversary special so I will be getting $50 dollars towards Monroe products from them.

Go get them.
    2002 Honda Ody 194,000
    2nd Tranny
    Myron Davis 15" TFT LCD Flipdown
    Monroe Reflex Shocks/Struts
    1995 Chevy Tahoe - 155,000
    Original Tranny
    Custom Air Intake
    TBI Spacer
    MSD Ignition
    HID Lights
    Edelbrock shocks

Greetings people, I was trying to replace my rear shocks yesterday, but I could not get the lower slot of the shock out of the screw. The upper slot of the shock was unbolted and free but just the lower one after removing the screw did not slide out completely. It was out upto a certain extent after which it did not budge. All my effort went in vain and I had to put everything back.

Any insight on what I missed would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
    2000 Ody EX, Navigation 145K+
    1996 Accord LX 135K+
    1992 Kawasaki zx1100 20K+
    Mobil 1 Extended Performance
    Mobil 1 ATF
    Shell V power

Did you compress the shock to give you more clearance for slide it out?

I did upto a certain extent, but it did not go beyond that. Do I have to compress it all the way(seems very tough for me).

Tell me one more thing, after compressing the suspension, it gradually came back to its normal position. Is it a sign of a good shock, if not what would tell me that the shocks are bad.

Thanx!
    2000 Ody EX, Navigation 145K+
    1996 Accord LX 135K+
    1992 Kawasaki zx1100 20K+
    Mobil 1 Extended Performance
    Mobil 1 ATF
    Shell V power

Compressing (from top to bottom) the shock will give you enough clearance to remove the shock and also try using a little oil. The shock will start to expand but it moves very slow and you will have enough time to remove the shock.

One way of checking if you shock is any good is to drive you car over speed bumps and monitor if the car keeps on bouncing. If it bounces more than the one time, you need to replace you shocks.

I just replaced my rear brakes and decided to pull off the rear shocks. Even compressing the shocks I needed my redneck hammer to knock the bottom off the support stud.

Called AutoZone and Advance Auto Parts and both places told me these were not available and could not order??

I guess I am going to reassemble and start looking online.
    2000 Ody
    120K+

2007 FJ Cruiser

Originally posted by gwagg
    I just replaced my rear brakes and decided to pull off the rear shocks. Even compressing the shocks I needed my redneck hammer to knock the bottom off the support stud.

Called AutoZone and Advance Auto Parts and both places told me these were not available and could not order??

I guess I am going to reassemble and start looking on line.
    KYB and Monroe to fit the Odyssey are in stock at Tire Rack, Auto Barn, Summit, etc. Take your pick. These are the only 2 brands that fit the Odyssey that I could find on line.

http://www.kybshocksonline.com/Searc...x?AAIA=1429297

I just replaced mine with KYB. I put a splash of WD-40 on the bolt and nut and they came out/off without any problem. I had to use a pull handle on the lower nut to get it started.

At 65,000 miles, the right was leaking oil and compressed all the way and stayed there. The left was hard to compress but this was necessary in order to slide it off the bottom bolt.

There are some Japanese characters on the OEM units, but otherwise, I cannot identify who manufactures them. I noted that the OEM units also have a 1/16 inch thick rubber covering stuck on the lower half cylinder that faces forward -- I guess this is to protect it from road debris.

I also installed speed bleeders in the brake calipers while I had the wheels off. #SB 1010S -- fronts and #SB 1010 -- rears. These things are great. If you order, also get the Speed Bleeder Bag Combo for $6 -- a little plastic I.V. bag and tube -- it gives you a closed system into which to bleed the fluid -- no spills! The silicone tubing fits much better than the tygon tubing I was using.

http://speedbleeder.zoovy.com/
    2002 EX-TW ; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels, California Flames, K&N Air Filter; FilterMag magnetic oil filter; Galaxy DX-959 mobile CB w/ Wilson 1,000 mag mount antenna;Valentine One; Schrader Nickle Plated Brass Valve Stem Caps; Odyssey 1200MJT mil-spec battery.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements