Desperately in need of tires for 2007 & completely overwhelmed - advice appreciated
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Desperately in need of tires for 2007 & completely overwhelmed - advice appreciated

cmf

Desperately in need of tires for 2007 & completely overwhelmed - advice appreciated

Sorry in advance for the long thread. I ended up with a flat on my 2007 the other night. I currently have 3 Yokohama's on right now and my spare. I only got around 25,000 miles out of them and have to say I've not been happy with tread life on any of the tires we've tried. We've been through the OEM tires, Defenders, Coopers and the Yokohama's that I have now. My husband has left the task of picking tires up to me and I've researched them and now am more confused than before. Athough I love my van I hope that this will be the last set on it before we trade it or purchase something else. I've called around to different shops and have had the same Yokohama's, Continental Cross and True Contacs recommended as well as some Falkens, Goodyear Comfortreads and Tripletreds. However I've also had two different Discount Tire stores recommend that I go with a whole different size tires on my rims altogether instead of 235-65-16 they said to go with 225-70-16 tires in Yokohama YK-HTX, Michelin Premiers or Bridgestone Duelers. I would love to have something on that will get me more than 25,000, handles well in TN weather (basic snowand rain), and is relatively quiet as the 3 kids are lound enough already. I have read through most all of the 2005 + thread and honestly it confused me even more. Any advice is sincerely appreciated as I have to replace in the next day or 2 at most. Thanks so much.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I've been running the Goodyear Assurance Comfortread Touring (ordered them through Wal-mart) and have gotten 30K miles out of them so far and they're down about 50% or so. I did have a four wheel alignment done right after installing them and would recommend the same. It's my second set and I've been pretty happy with them. It is my second set and I got 50-60K out of the first set.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

what tire pressures do you have in your tires?
    2005 EXL

I have been running 38-40psi. I've found that 32-33 will wear the outside edges of the tires too fast, leaving the center of the tire still looking good.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

cmf
    I checked a couple tires after my spare was put on and they were at 35 psi.

I've had very good luck with Michelin Defenders. Quiet, good ride, and not ok in snow and rain (as much as an all-season tire can be). They are pricey, but often you can find rebates on them. I've bought them at Sam's Club, which usually has a decent price on them. They have 90,000 mile warranties, but you won't get that out of them. In fact, in my experience the Odyssey eats tires a bit, because it is a heavy vehicle (~5,000 pounds). Where the warranty comes into play is getting pro-rated discounts on new tires when they existing ones wear out. Be sure to rotate your tires regularly, as it will not only help prolong them, but also any warranty reimbursement may be denied for them if you can't prove regular rotation.

I'm having a 3rd set of Cooper CS4's put on today. I've been happy with them, obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Short: Kumho - 235/65-16s

Interesting this didn't turn into a major debate. Tires are one of those things that people tend to have their favorites and will fight to prove theirs is the best.

I swap out vehicles a lot and go through a lot of tires. I can say 25k for a set of Yokohamas is really low. Have you ever had an alignment? I like to get an alignment at the same time as the new tires, this ensures longevity and many tires stores like to work package deals, my last wheel alignment was only $20 since I bought my tires there at the same time.

But as far as tires go, I run Kumho on my Sienna since my kids mom drives the ever loving crap out of that van. It got about 70k for the first set of Kumhos, and so far just over 60k on the second set of Kumhos and they're still going strong. OEM tires lasted about 50k and they were Michelin's.

Goodyears and Cooper are great tires, but don't scream longevity.

My vote is Kumho

With changing tire size, there's nothing wrong with that as long as you change all 4. Most tire stores are going to be smart enough not to sell you the wrong tire that will rub, or throw gearing off, you don't want to have your speedometer reading 80mph while you're getting passed up by a Prius. If you question the salesman's choice on alternative sizes you can do the math yourself to verify they're not trying to just unload tires they're overstocked on.

OK, I apologize in advance for making your already confusing research worse, but I'm a former automotive engineer turned programmer, math is my life, maybe it is for you as well.

Tire size math: ((width/aspect ratio) X 2)/25.4 + rim size. Seem confusing? It is a little bit. 235 is your width, 65 is your aspect ratio (height in relation to width) 16 is your rim size. Doing the math looks something like this
    235/0.65 = 152.75 (this is the height of 1 sidewall, let's say the bottom just for giggles)
    152.75 X 2 = 305.5 (this is both side walls combined, top and bottom)
    305.5 / 25.4 = 12.03 (This is the conversion between metric MM to inches. For some reason tires are metric for size, but standard SAE for rim size.)
    12.03 + 16 = 28.03 (Here we can see your tire is roughly 28.03 inches tall. This is based on a properly inflated tire with no load)
    If we put the new tire size (225/70 - 16) through the same formula we come out with 28.4" tall, only .2" higher, or .1" per side wall.

A 225/70-16 is 10mm skinnier than a 235/65-16
    its side wall is 0.1" taller
    Will you notice a difference? Racing through the streets, slightly. During day-to-day driving, highly unlikely.
    Will your van notice a difference? No

I hope this make things worse, I wanted to at least arm you with some additional knowledge when you're researching. I can tell you many tire stores tend to be a LOT more honest when you are armed with knowledge. Next time a sales rep recommends a 225/70, just say "But isn't that 10mm narrower? Sure I'll be SLIGHTLY less likely to hydroplane, but wouldn't my warm weather traction suffer? And with a higher aspect ratio, my cornering will suffer as well won't it?" They'll be surprised, but after they get over the shock they might try to sell you a set of Pirelli P Zeros
    If it's 4wd, lift it. If it's 2wd, lower it. If it moves, make it faster. If it has wheels, race it. I can't leave anything alone Hidden Content

I just put a set of Cooper CS5s on my '03. I have run the CS4s before (CS5s are the newer version) and I get ~80K miles out of them. I do run them around 38 psi. I have never had any issues at all with these tires on my van, or my Dad on his caravan.

11. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread