Steel Wheels, Different Lug Nuts Needed?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Steel Wheels, Different Lug Nuts Needed?

Steel Wheels, Different Lug Nuts Needed?

I just put on my winter tires with steel wheels and Bridgestone Blizzack 235-65-16 WS-60's. I used the wheel nuts from my aluminum wheels but the steel washers on them does not contact anything on the steel rims. I don't think I can use these nuts because the washer is loose when the nuts are tightened. Another posting mentioned that he bought the Honda lug nuts part# 90304-SHJ-A01 which comes with plastic washers for use with Honda steel wheels and wheel covers. If I'm not putting any wheel covers on the wheels, do the plastic washers come off the lug nuts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

The lug nuts are different, you're asking for problems if you use the wrong ones (presuming your steelies are Honda) as the contact area is different.

The plastic washer will come off.

I use Honda steel wheels (originally from an LX-trim Ody) for my snow tires and have to use different lug nuts. (I do use the LX wheel covers, but that doesn't matter.) I'm sorry that I don't have the part number available. If you go to www.collegehillshonda.com you should be able to find the part number easily.
    Mommyvan
    '05 EX Slate Green/Gray cloth

Does anyone really know if a guy needs a new set of lug nuts? I talked to 4 Honda dealers in our city and only 1 service dept advisor said that I needed a new set of lug nuts with part number 90304-SHJ-A01. The other 3 dealers all said that when they do winter changeovers for customers they just use the existing alloy wheel nuts. I talked to all the parts persons and they didn't know either. They said that the Honda winter packages don't include lug nuts. They all said to use the existing lug nuts even though the steel washer doesn't come off. The price they gave me was $4.13 each.
    Last edited by jackrabbit000; 12-03-2007 at 02:21 PM.

I just answered my own question. you definitely need a new set of wheel nuts with steel wheels. The nuts from the alloys won't work. I went down to my Honda dealer and asked to see the steel wheel nuts part# 90304-SHJ-A01. They look nothing like the alloy ones. The steel ones have a way larger bevel on them for aligning up the wheel to the nuts. The alloy nuts line up on the alloy wheels on the outside of the nut, the little bevel on the end is just for guiding the nut through the hole in the alloy wheel not for holding the actual wheel on. What holds the alloy wheel on is the flat part of the nut/steel washer when the nuts are torqued on, the alloy wheel has no bevel in the holes like the steel wheels.

I got me lug nuts for steelies at Walmart, they were less than $1 each.

Originally posted by jackrabbit000
    The alloy nuts line up on the alloy wheels on the outside of the nut, the little bevel on the end is just for guiding the nut through the hole in the alloy wheel not for holding the actual wheel on. What holds the alloy wheel on is the flat part of the nut/steel washer when the nuts are torqued on, the alloy wheel has no bevel in the holes like the steel wheels.
    Are you talking about aftermarket alloy wheels or stock Honda alloy wheels?

All of the OEM Honda alloy wheels I have seen have a steel insert in the lug hole and use a "ball seat" lug, not a shoulder type lug.

The stock alloy OEM "ball seat" lug will work with a steel wheel. I don't know if the Honda steel wheels use a "ball seat" or not. Honda seems to be the only manufacturer that uses the "ball seat" lug. Most other manufacturers use "taper seat" lugs.
    2003 Odyssey EX - Taffeta White

Here's a picture of the different wheel nut styles. The one on the left is the one made for the Honda steel wheels. It has a grey split plastic washer that can be removed if you are not using wheel covers. The one on the right came off my '06 EXL-RES 5 spoke split Honda alloys. You can see that there is a big difference
    Attached Images Attached Images

Originally posted by RacerRik
    Are you talking about aftermarket alloy wheels or stock Honda alloy wheels?

All of the OEM Honda alloy wheels I have seen have a steel insert in the lug hole and use a "ball seat" lug, not a shoulder type lug.

The stock alloy OEM "ball seat" lug will work with a steel wheel. I don't know if the Honda steel wheels use a "ball seat" or not. Honda seems to be the only manufacturer that uses the "ball seat" lug. Most other manufacturers use "taper seat" lugs.

The alloys are the original 5 spoke split wheels that came with my '06 EXL-RES. There is no steel insert or ball seat in the alloy wheel. The wheel is held on by the shoulder/steel washer on the nut. The washer prevents the aluminum wheel from galling up when the nut is tightened. The bottom of the wheel nut hole is only about 1/16 inch thick and is flat. There is no way that this tiny amount of material will hold a wheel onto a car. You can see an outline of where the washer seats on the wheel to hold it on. See attached picture. The steel wheels that I bought are Honda also and these ones have a tapered seat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jackrabbit000; 12-06-2007 at 09:56 PM.

I see from the pictures that Honda has changed to a shoulder type lug nut for their alloy wheels. This is the source of confussion here.

On the 2004 and earlier Hondas, the alloy lug nuts look just like the picture you have of the steel wheel lug minus the washer. So for 2004 and earlier, the alloy lugs will work with the steel wheels. For 2005 and up, you do need to get ball seat type lugs for the steel wheels.

Thanks for the pictures and straightening me out on this.
    2003 Odyssey EX - Taffeta White

Originally posted by RacerRik
    I see from the pictures that Honda has changed to a shoulder type lug nut for their alloy wheels. This is the source of confussion here.

On the 2004 and earlier Hondas, the alloy lug nuts look just like the picture you have of the steel wheel lug minus the washer. So for 2004 and earlier, the alloy lugs will work with the steel wheels. For 2005 and up, you do need to get ball seat type lugs for the steel wheels.

Thanks for the pictures and straightening me out on this.
    No problem RacerRik. But you know what the real scary part of it is....I called all the Honda dealers in Alberta and all of the service advisors and parts guys said that they are just installing the alloy nut onto the steel wheels. Only one parts person out of 10 dealers knew that the nut was different.

I just realized

Well hi. Thanks for this thread -- very informative. I'm embarrassed to admit I just drove for six months with steel wheels and winter tires on, held with the lug nuts for my aluminum wheels. I realize it's a little late now, and I plan to get the proper lug nuts, but have I done any type of permanent damage? There was no problem at all, all winter long. Is there anything else I need to do, or now that I'm getting the right type of lug nut, I'll be okay?

14. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements