How would you handle rims damaged during tire change
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would you handle rims damaged during tire change

How would you handle rims damaged during tire change

Hello,

With 75 miles on my new 07 Ody, I dropped it off at a family owned, very reliable service station to put the Blizzak snow tires on.

I have had tires sent to this station direct from Tirerack before and they always do an exceptional job.

This time, the oldest member of the family business forgot to put some spacer on the tire balancer and as each of the rims was spun it got grooves about 1 inch from the top outside dug into the rim. The grooves are into the soft part of the aluminium on our EX-L enough to lay a toothpick into them in spots on all four rims.

My wife picked up the van and the owner said to have me call him and he showed her the damage.

Prior to dropping by to see him, I wondered if anyone has a suggestion for me. I do not want to stick it to this station who has always treated me and my kids well in servicing our cars. I am tempted to just put my hand on his shoulder, look him in the eye and say, don't mention it and live with it...but, we do keep our vehicles in very nice shape paying big for detailing each year and personally washing and detailing the vehicles.

Has anyone ever had a similar situation and if so, ideas for resolution? Open to viable solutions short of requiring this guy to buy me four new rims.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by LoneRanger; 12-13-2007 at 11:56 PM.
    Hi-Yo Silver, Away!

"Who was that masked man?"

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

If the shop provides excellent service as you say they do, the OWNER should offer to pay for repair/replacement without being asked.

The shop is probably insured just for such an occurrence. And you realize stuff happens. I'm not sure if this kind of damage can just be buffed out. The OEM rims have a coating on them. You may need new rims. It is, after all a new car. So these are winter tires right? How about offering to help with the cost of another set of rims for the regular tires. That way you will not have to change them out each year. And risk more scratches.

The scratch may not look too bad now, but if left uncoated, you will think differently about them after this winter. In addition to oxidation in shades of white/gray/black, the rough groove be black from an accumulation of road grime and brake dust and will be significantly more difficult to clean than machined/sealed grooves.
    If you keep these wheels, I expect that you will regret the decision later.

The shop is liable for the full cost of new wheels and installation. If you want non-OEM alloys or steelies or keep the damaged wheels for winter, etc . . . then that would be negotiable. Tough situation, but don't take away the opportunity for the shop to do the right thing.
    01 Ody LX 200k miles Granite Green, keyless remote, hidden hitch, front speaker upgrade, CD player
    10 Accord LX - headrests are a pain
    04 Accord LX V6 - sold
    02 XR200R - sold
    99 Harmony (two)
    95 Pressure washer
    77 Accord - great car, long gone

This is very timely! I just had the exact same thing happen about three weeks ago. It was at Walmart. They claimed they used the wrong machine and it tore up all four wheels. Of course, they didn't mention anything at the time and only admitted it after I saw the damage and drug the manager out to look at it.

They turned it over to their insurance and the insurance paid me over $600 to have the wheels "refinished" at a local business that speciallizes in refinishing wheels.

Funny thing is that Walmart told that this type of thing never happens. Both the wheel shop and the insurance company told me that this happens all the time!

I asked the guy at the wheel shop if going to Walmart for tire changing was a bad idea and he said no since they get just as many repairs from the other tire shops. I guess I will stick with Walmart for tire changing - it is by far the cheapest place in town!
    2003 Odyssey EX - Taffeta White

You dropped of a set of unscratched rims, you should get them back the same way. If they have provided good service then they should step up and replace the rims.
    08 Ocean Mist blue EX-L,

There are mobile guys that fix rims for car dealers, usually about $250 for all 4. The will fill the groove and respray the wheels, on the car. You will never see the repair, and it is cheaper for the shop owner.

I would look on Ebay for a set of used wheels and put summer tires on those, at his expense. No need to just discard the damaged ones.
    Mark
    Maryland

I recently bought a used 05 EXL and have similar damage on one wheel, the grooves do accumulate dirt and look dirty.

I was planning to replace that wheel and found new OEM wheel around $150+tax or shipping from Honda dealers. Salvage yards are selling sets of 4 for ~400 but no way to check that they are not damaged.

Appreciate it

I had not thought of much of what was said here. I will go talk with the garage owner now and see how it goes armed with a clearer picture of the situation.

Will post how it turns out.

Thanks much all.
    Hi-Yo Silver, Away!

Ouch, that is a tough situation, but the owner should stand by his work.

Let us know how it turns out!
    2006 Odyssey EX-L-RES - Taffeta White - purchased in 2006 with 19K miles to replace the 2002
    2002 Odyssey EX - Redrock Pearl - sold in 2006
    2000 Accord EX - Dark Emerald Pearl - purchased in 2003 with 44K miles to replace the 1992 Accord
    1997 Odyssey LX - Mystic Blue Pearl - traded for the 2002 Odyssey
    1992 Accord EX - Granada Black Pearl - 231,000 miles - sold after 11 years of great service... (sniff)

My wife's site: www.mommyspoodles.com

I'd hit him up for a reasonable cost for replacement and then put that $ towards new MDX wheels and tires. Then you could sell the damaged wheels or use them for snows!

Originally posted by hkseller2000
    I'd hit him up for a reasonable cost for replacement and then put that $ towards new MDX wheels and tires. Then you could sell the damaged wheels or use them for snows!
    If the shop pays for replacement wheels, then LoneRanger would have no claim on the damaged wheels, but could offer to buy them for snows.
    01 Ody LX 200k miles Granite Green, keyless remote, hidden hitch, front speaker upgrade, CD player
    10 Accord LX - headrests are a pain
    04 Accord LX V6 - sold
    02 XR200R - sold
    99 Harmony (two)
    95 Pressure washer
    77 Accord - great car, long gone

It's hard to visualize exactly what the damage is that you describe but it does sound like it could be on the order of 1/32" or more into the material ... all the way around. If it were me, I'd be unhappy with the visual aspect but the big deal is that this could be a stress riser and lead to failure ... maybe, maybe not ... but for that reason alone I wouldn't have them on my car for regular tires, snow tires, nor would I sell them to someone else.

Very astute observation. Thank you.

I am going in after Christmas to talk with the owner.
    Hi-Yo Silver, Away!

This happened to my uncle a coulple of years ago to his ford freestar. He was able to get the place that did it to replace all four rims.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements