Honda Odyssey Forum banner

New Tires for 2005+ Odyssey (Share your Experience)

454K views 706 replies 259 participants last post by  storey13 
#1 ·
New Tires for 2005 Odyssey (Share your Experience)

Changed the OEM Michelin tires on my 2005 Odyssey to Goodyear Comfort Tread today at around 40K miles (Tires have become bald. Alignment issue?). Had the alignment also adjusted. The ride is much quieter and smoother! Very impressed! I was planning on going with Michelin again. Glad I didn't. My wife likes it very much.

#2 ·
Re: New Tires for 2005 Odyssey (Share your Experience)

arvinthsiva said:
Changed the OEM Michelin tires on my 2005 Odyssey to Goodyear Comfort Tread today at around 40K miles (Tires have become bald. Alignment issue?). Had the alignment also adjusted. The ride is much quieter and smoother! Very impressed! I was planning on going with Michelin again. Glad I didn't. My wife likes it very much.
Another vote for ComforTreds. I had these on my 99 that i just traded in and i loved them. When the OEM Energy's go bad on my 06, i'm replacing them with Comfortred's. Best tires i've owned.

#3 ·
Remember that tires get hard with age and combined with the decreased tread depth will tend to generate more tire noise. So there is an expected decrease in tire noise with a change to a fresh set of tires. Time will confirm that the GYs are truly quiter. Michelins are notorious for getting noisy with age. I would be SOOOOO happy with 40K miles on a set of tires on a 5000 lb vehicle. You must have worn those tires down to the nubs. I have PAX (sob, sob)

G
#6 ·
I had gotten Toyo Versados and they are noticeably quieter especially on concrete and also traction is rain is better than the oem michilens....but my michilens were almost bald tho..i got about 45k? out of the oems...could have gone farther but got a flat so i decided to just change them our.

#7 ·
I just put Toyo Versado LXs (235/55/18) on my 07 Touring. I put them on 18" MDX Sport wheels. Initial impressions are all good...but only time will tell. If they are as good as my Toyo Proxes TPTs on my Subaru Outback or as the Toyo Spectrums were on my 99 Odyssey.....I will be very happy!

-r

#8 ·
Re: New Tires for 2005 Odyssey (Share your Experience)

arvinthsiva said:
Can you please post a close-up picture on how the Goodyear Assurance ComforTread appears on your Honda EX? I have the same model and year of Ody and considering tire replacement soon. Thank you.

#9 ·
Take a look at Cooper CS4s. I put them on my 06 Ody, and liked them so much I put them on my 03 Accord...........marvelous tires............:)

#10 ·
Re: Re: New Tires for 2005 Odyssey (Share your Experience)

silverscreen said:
Can you please post a close-up picture on how the Goodyear Assurance ComforTread appears on your Honda EX? I have the same model and year of Ody and considering tire replacement soon. Thank you.
Here we go...

#11 ·
cyeung65 said:
Remember that tires get hard with age and combined with the decreased tread depth will tend to generate more tire noise. So there is an expected decrease in tire noise with a change to a fresh set of tires. Time will confirm that the GYs are truly quiter. Michelins are notorious for getting noisy with age. I would be SOOOOO happy with 40K miles on a set of tires on a 5000 lb vehicle. You must have worn those tires down to the nubs. I have PAX (sob, sob)
I've had the noise issue with the OEM Michelin Energy LX4's from the beginning. Comfortread's are far better. My wife and friends are surprised at the change in cabin noise levels. Goodyear tires are cheaper and better!!

#12 ·
bluestars80 said:
Take a look at Cooper CS4s. I put them on my 06 Ody, and liked them so much I put them on my 03 Accord...........marvelous tires............:)
How is the cabin noise with Cooper tires compared to the OEM tires?

#13 · (Edited)
arvinthsiva said:
I've had the noise issue with the OEM Michelin Energy LX4's from the beginning. Comfortread's are far better. My wife and friends are surprised at the change in cabin noise levels. Goodyear tires are cheaper and better!!
Goodyear Assurance ComforTread have a UTQG of 700 compared to 500 of Michelin Energy LX4, because of this, I'm replacing mine with ComforTread.

#14 ·
#15 ·
+- 15K on my Yoko Avid TRZ's and I am quite pleased with them FWIW.

#16 ·
arvinthsiva said:
MUCH quieter........:)

They spent $200 million developing the tire.....it appears to have worked...........:D

#17 ·
silverscreen said:
Goodyear Assurance ComforTread have a UTQG of 700 compared to 500 of Michelin Energy LX4, because of this, I'm replacing mine with ComforTread.
Went on a long drive today. Apart from the reduced cabin noise, the ride is much more smoother. My friend has Toyota Sienna with Dunlop tires and is planning to switch to Goodyear Comfortread!

#18 ·
arvinthsiva said:
I went with the Cooper CS4’s as well and we’re very happy with them. Much quieter than the Michelin’s ever were, particularly on concrete. Handle better too, which is surprising because they have a more aggressive tread. Much better in the snow too.

#19 ·
Got Cooper CS4 tires put on Thursday and then went on a 1000 mile trip on Friday.... very nice tire, quieter than the OEM tires (they were almost gone). the only thing that I found was the mileage was not as good as the LX4s.. maybe I was driving faster since there was less noise...

#20 ·
chan_man said:
Got Cooper CS4 tires put on Thursday and then went on a 1000 mile trip on Friday.... very nice tire, quieter than the OEM tires (they were almost gone). the only thing that I found was the mileage was not as good as the LX4s.. maybe I was driving faster since there was less noise...
Keep the tire pressure up............:D

#22 ·
arvinthsiva said:
Went on a long drive today. Apart from the reduced cabin noise, the ride is much more smoother. My friend has Toyota Sienna with Dunlop tires and is planning to switch to Goodyear Comfortread!
How was the wheel balancing/alignment done. Did they perform dynamic wheel balancing/alignment? Did they install additional OEM Honda wheel weights? Please give me feedback on how were the alignments adjusted/balanced. Thank you.

#25 ·
silverscreen said:
How was the wheel balancing/alignment done. Did they perform dynamic wheel balancing/alignment? Did they install additional OEM Honda wheel weights? Please give me feedback on how were the alignments adjusted/balanced. Thank you.
The Service Advisor took me to the bay where the alignment was being done. They was two laser units installed on the walls and some device attached to the wheels and a Technician was underneath the vehicle adjusting based on the feedback. It took them about 2 hours to get it done. I didn't ask them how the process works.

#26 · (Edited)
arvinthsiva said:
The Service Advisor took me to the bay where the alignment was being done. They was two laser units installed on the walls and some device attached to the wheels and a Technician was underneath the vehicle adjusting based on the feedback. It took them about 2 hours to get it done. I didn't ask them how the process works.
I was thinking technicallly of how they could replace the OEM Michelin tire with the replacement ComforTred. When I looked at the specs of both tires, I noticed that ComforTred is lighter than Energy LX4. I also inspected my Ody manual, and it says there that the OEM wheels should preferably use only genuine Honda wheel weights for dynamic wheel balancing, or else. I just wonder if it needs some extra wheel weights to make the wheel balance since the replacement tire is lighter, but amazingly it has more treadwear grade, and I think the ComforTred has the closest specs (much improved, not distorted) if placed side by side with the OEM tires. Did it needed extra wheel weights on your Ody?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.