Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Dealership negligence - No Brakes!!!

10K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Little Goryo 
#1 ·
Well I have a 2007 Odyssey that had the brake recall - took it in for the "fix" at the local dealership - they let me drive off the lot with no brakes. I'm very fortunate that I didn't merge on the freeway, which I ordinarily would have done, but needed to pick my husband up from the Toyota dealership about a mile or so away. I ran a total of four stop lights, narrowly avoided hitting people, used my emergency brakes four times and also hit a concrete pillar at the Toyota dealership. I called the Honda dealership and was told to bring the car back in. I had NO brakes and they wanted me to drive it in. I told them I would, it would take a while as I needed to drive s-l-o-w and negligence could be involved. I finally arrive at the dealership - on the service record it states" "customer states brakes feel funny since recall and VSA light came on. Check and report." Their response was "Checked and found VSA modulator connector not fully connected after recall. Tightened connector and rechecked. All ok after."

I asked if they test drove the vehicle, which was never confirmed to me. I could have killed someone, myself and/or my entire family driving this thing. I called Honda America the following morning, filed a complaint and was told to take the car back in to that dealership for a full brake inspection. The assistant manger called two days later and "offer" to look over the brakes and to detail the car. I was going out of town on a business trip and scheduled to take it in the following week. My husband and I take the car in and the asst. manager brushes us off. Finally get a call at 4p.m telling me the inspection was complete and to pick up the car, my husband and two sons (5 and 3) and I drive over and my husband insists on speaking with the manager. Now the story changes, and it was that the mechanic used a tool that was incorrect so that when he went to tightened a valve, he hit something with the tool and felt it was tight and the story continued on. At this point my husband and I are confused as to what was actually the truth and the fact that we've been driving a vehicle with "bad" brakes. The assistance manager acknowledged that I had NO brakes on the car and apparently for another week, have bad brakes, but everyone is "okay." Nope, not okay, I don't trust that my car is safe, which was the whole reason for purchase the freaking Odyssey in the first place. I now HATE driving this car that I once LOVED and don't want my sons anywhere near it. We've been driving around in my husband's car because I don't trust what we've been told and that the car is actually safe. I want another Odyssey, similiarly equipped. Our car was paid for and loved it. I felt safer in the car before the recall than I do now. I have no confidence in the dealership or in the car anymore, as I've been driving only to and from work and feel the brakes hestitate. What should I do?

Oh, forgot to mention that they still haven't fixed the bumper (fog light cracked too) and haven't heard from them in 20 days since they inspected and "detailed" the car. No follow-up from dealership and won't return my calls.

Thanks,
Shari
2007-Odyssey EX-L (w/RES-NAV)

One more thing, this is in Northern CA - no longer in NM.

See less See more
#2 ·
That sounds like a nerve-wracking drive after you picked up the van and discovered it had no brakes.

You may not want to hear this, but you should have jammed that emergency brake as soon as you realized you had no service brake and stopped the van right there. You should certainly not have driven it back to Honda with no brakes. They should have sent a tow truck instead.

The dealer is probably aware of its liability in releasing an unsafe car to you. This is serious enough to consult your lawyer. Getting the dealer's attention is crucial to resolving this. If any part of the braking system was damaged or is questionable, they need to replace it so you can feel safe in your van again.

#3 ·
Thanks for your quick response. I only wish the dealership would respond. Honda America is documenting everything, but the attitude has been "you've got to work it out with the dealership." Which I understand, but I've been calling for three weeks and they won't return my call.

I'm about to consult an attorney, didn't really want to go this route, but I don't feel safe with my family in the car. I can't believe the dealership has been so dismissive - they would have had a huge lawsuit on their hands had someone been harmed or killed, but emotionally I'm drained from this. I'm about to go buy a Sienna because of this!

Thanks again!
Shari

#5 ·
No, the brakes have felt worse. There is a clear hesitation when I apply the brakes now. I literally drive the 8 miles to and from work in this car and that is it!

I don't trust the car and I don't trust the dealership to do anything with it at this point. They have had the vehicle twice for the brakes each time the story changes as to what actually happened. Now they aren't even returning our calls.

I don't feel safe in this car anymore. Otherwise I would have kept this car for a 3 - 5 more years, but now I think it's time for a new minivan. And I'm thinking its not going to be a HONDA.

Thanks,
Shari

#8 · (Edited)
Yes, scary story.

This is why whenever a brake job is performed (whether it is at home, dealer, or independent mechanic), I always test the car first by tapping on the brake pedal a few times with engine off.

Then back out of the driveway very slowly and always ready to engage the parking brake if needed.

Then slow in city streets.

Then highway test.

PS: And YES, go to another dealer! I had my VSA recall done professionally and have had no problems at all.

If I understand it correctly, then without the VSA, the car runs OK, i.e., you still have brake. The problem is they might have allowed alot of air into the hydraulic system and therefore you had no brake at all!

#9 ·
Sorry for your scary experience. I would complain to Honda USA, I wold get a clear written explanation of what happened and what fixed it.

Now I have to ask, why continue driving after you realized the brakes did not work? you mention using the e-brake 4 times and running 4 lights.

#10 ·
Too bad about the dealer experience. But in reality and 30k+ van isn't like a pair of shoes. They just dont swap them out if there is a problem or because you don't trust it. Its about 3 years old and has that usage. Its not worth the price of a new van anymore.

If you don't feel the dealer is making the right attempt at fixing the problem, go to a different dealer. If because you lost brakes and you damaged the vehicle, then they should be responsible. I would have called my insurance company and let them go after honda for the repair.

Tom

#11 ·
At this time, I would go the Lawyer route. It is unforgivable that the dealer had you drive the van back to the dealer without brakes. This is a case of negligence.

Who knows, you may make enough cash on the settlement to by a new van, or if the lawyer is good, get that Lamborghini that you really wanted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.