oil leak after dealer oil change
NEWS
 

  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

    Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: oil leak after dealer oil change

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    224

    oil leak after dealer oil change

    Ok, my wife gets home from oil change at dealer and it smells like oil. I assume its the drippings, happened before. A week later, still smells like oil in the garage. I happen to pull the van out into the driveway for another reason and lo and behold there is a small puddle of oil on the garage, in more than one place. Lovely. I bend over and look under the van. Oil is seeping from the drain bolt or what appears to be the drain bolt.

    Go back to the dealer and am told it was a "faulty" crush washer and that we definitely changed it oh yeah, definitely, just faulty, and it happens. I smell oil, and a lie. Or am I overreacting? Has this happened to anyone else? A "faulty" crush washer? I hold judgement in case it has happened to anyone else.

    I've already had to purchase a torque wrench to make sure my wheels get properly tightened everytime I rotate tires at the dealer even though I feel I shouldn't have to. Maybe now I will need to buy a drain pan and jacks to start changing my own oil as well. I'm getting to old for this crap.

    rant done
    2012 EX-L Nav Black
    2010 Touring White (sold)
    2006 EX-L R&N White (sold)

  2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Chicago USA
    Posts
    14,606
    That and among other reasons is exactly WHY I do all my oil/tranny fluid changes myself.

    BTW, with the many Honda's we've owned, I have NEVER replaced the crush washer and it has NEVER leaked from that area in over 30 years with the many Honda's we've owned.

    Just make sure to orientate the washer correctly.

    There is a distinct possibility the dealer over tightened the bolt and stripped the threads not allowing proper torque to seal the hole?

    Of course they'll not admit to the error.....

    Last edited by chiody; 05-13-2008 at 02:01 PM.

  4. #3
    Registered User William Wiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,163
    The most likely problem is they didn't tighten the drain bolt. Using the old crush washer is no problem. If you mic the old and new crush washer you will find they are within ,001 inch of each other. They call it a crush washer but in my opinion it is just a acurately machined washer and is really not much softer than the aluminum housing. Develop the habit of checking your fluid levels regularly and double check any maintenance done by others. It could save you a blown engine someday.
    2004 EX Odyssey.
    All posts made by me are in reference to the gen 2 Odyssey.

  5. #4
    Registered User MTPockets08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Posts
    1,235
    Originally posted by chiody

    BTW, with the many Honda's we've owned, I have NEVER replaced the crush washer and it has NEVER leaked from that area in over 30 years with the many Honda's we've owned.
    Same here. The only washers I've replaced were those on vehicles I've purchased used and had a few Iffy-Loob visits under their belt. Other than that, they could last the life of the drain bolt. The other recommendation that cracks me up is the use of a torque wrench for the drain bolt! You gotta be kidding me!!

    Joel
    2008 Honda Ody LX babe magnet.
    2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i CVT.
    Vehicles of the past: 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2007 Chevy Cobalt LS, 2001 Windstar, 2005 Trailblazer 4x4, 2002 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 and lots more

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    12,660
    New to Honda huh?

  7. #6
    Hey
    Hey is offline
    Registered User Hey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    306

    Re: oil leak after dealer oil change

    Originally posted by bryan11
    Ok, my wife gets home from oil change at dealer and it smells like oil. I assume its the drippings, happened before. A week later, still smells like oil in the garage. I happen to pull the van out into the driveway for another reason and lo and behold there is a small puddle of oil on the garage, in more than one place. Lovely. I bend over and look under the van. Oil is seeping from the drain bolt or what appears to be the drain bolt.

    Go back to the dealer and am told it was a "faulty" crush washer and that we definitely changed it oh yeah, definitely, just faulty, and it happens. I smell oil, and a lie. Or am I overreacting? Has this happened to anyone else? A "faulty" crush washer? I hold judgement in case it has happened to anyone else.

    I've already had to purchase a torque wrench to make sure my wheels get properly tightened everytime I rotate tires at the dealer even though I feel I shouldn't have to. Maybe now I will need to buy a drain pan and jacks to start changing my own oil as well. I'm getting to old for this crap.

    rant done
    I bet they don't give you half off for doing only half the job they should have. Don't get discouraged. Find another dealer service if possible.
    I love this place !

  8. #7
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Chicago USA
    Posts
    14,606
    Originally posted by MTPockets08
    Same here. The only washers I've replaced were those on vehicles I've purchased used and had a few Iffy-Loob visits under their belt. Other than that, they could last the life of the drain bolt. The other recommendation that cracks me up is the use of a torque wrench for the drain bolt! You gotta be kidding me!!

    Joel
    Yeah, with my 3/8" drive ratchet I can estimate adequate torque to keep the drain bolt in place. Its NOT rocket science afterall!! Even with oil filters, hand tightening is enough as with heat cycling, the filters tightens up quite a bit hence a wrench is required to remove it.

  9. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    458
    bryan11,

    you don't even need jacks. you can reach under to remove the drain plug without jacks. only thing is your nose gets pretty intimate with the plastic engine shield
    2003 Ody EX
    2004 CRV

  10. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    12,660
    bryan11, Do name the dealer. It is not against any rules around here and may help others. If dyi oil changes are not your thing, using another dealer is always an option. (sometimes essential) Also (and I have done this) calling the service manager, usually mid-afternoon when they aren't slammed, and pointing out their short comings politely will or should be greeted welcomely. My complaint was that after service, my tires (and the tires on my wife's Ody) would be set to 32 lb. He of course wanted to know what tech. I had to tell him it was multiple vehicles and several techs. I suggested bring the importance of correct tire pressure up at a meeting.

  11. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,546

    Smile DIY is best

    Originally posted by chiody
    That and among other reasons is exactly WHY I do all my oil/tranny fluid changes myself.


    Same here. Haven't let anyone else do my oil changes for 30+ years. And unlike the dealers those of us that do our own changes we crawl underneath once we are done and check for leaks (engine running). We also lube the oil filter gasket with oil and even prefill the filter (if possible)...
    I have never seen dealers do any of these things, they give the task to the most junior staff and want the vehicle in and out in the least possible time.. (when i pull the drain plug I find something else to do for a least 1/2 hour so as to let as much of the oil as possibe drain out)...


    I switched to a Fram Sure Drain so I never have to worry about crush washers or stripping the drain plugs threads since its installed and torqued up only once and never removed...Others have uses fumoto valves...

  12. #11
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Chicago USA
    Posts
    14,606
    Originally posted by Richie_Richie
    bryan11,

    you don't even need jacks. you can reach under to remove the drain plug without jacks. only thing is your nose gets pretty intimate with the plastic engine shield
    Nahh, just shove the sucker up out of the way!!!


  13. #12
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Chicago USA
    Posts
    14,606

    Re: DIY is best

    Originally posted by bbylon5
    Same here. Haven't let anyone else do my oil changes for 30+ years. And unlike the dealers those of us that do our own changes we crawl underneath once we are done and check for leaks (engine running). We also lube the oil filter gasket with oil and even prefill the filter (if possible)...
    I have never seen dealers do any of these things, they give the task to the most junior staff and want the vehicle in and out in the least possible time.. (when i pull the drain plug I find something else to do for a least 1/2 hour so as to let as much of the oil as possibe drain out)...


    I switched to a Fram Sure Drain so I never have to worry about crush washers or stripping the drain plugs threads since its installed and torqued up only once and never removed...Others have uses fumoto valves...
    I like to have it sit overnight if possible for a "complete" drain. Yeah, I'm anal!!!


  14. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    224
    Originally posted by egads
    bryan11, Do name the dealer. It is not against any rules around here and may help others. If dyi oil changes are not your thing, using another dealer is always an option. (sometimes essential) Also (and I have done this) calling the service manager, usually mid-afternoon when they aren't slammed, and pointing out their short comings politely will or should be greeted welcomely. My complaint was that after service, my tires (and the tires on my wife's Ody) would be set to 32 lb. He of course wanted to know what tech. I had to tell him it was multiple vehicles and several techs. I suggested bring the importance of correct tire pressure up at a meeting.
    Clawson Honda in Fresno, CA.

    This particular dealer also tried to charge me for a brake repair, but my wife argued it was covered under a TSB and they relented. Why all this fighting for decent service?

    I've since moved to LA county now and once again I am having a dealer issue. I made an appointment (Norm Reeves West Covina) to have the power steering pump checked out and the inside sliding door handle sticking issue. They want 160 dollar just to diagnose. (80 per half hour??) I am under warranty. What a pain. I know they won't find anything, so why bother. I canceled the appointment.

    The power steering only acts up when in parking lots and turning the steering wheel fast from right to left for example. Think the dealer will find it? nah. Makes me want to get rid of the van before the warranty runs out. I was considering the new Acura MDX, but now have little confidence in Honda. I have little confidence in all car makers though. Toyota hasn't been great with my Prius either. Some of the stuff they do is just plain laughable. (I caught them not rotating my tires by setting the pressures to something crazy. When I got the car back, same tires, same pressures. No rotation but I paid for it! How many times did they do that? They apologized and rotated but jeez) BMW, the same. They gave me slack on repairs and treated me like they were doing me a favor. At least they gave me free starbucks.

    Anyway, should I complain to Honda about the mandatory diagnostic fee of 160 bucks, or just let it go?
    2012 EX-L Nav Black
    2010 Touring White (sold)
    2006 EX-L R&N White (sold)

  15. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    12,660
    All dealers will ask for a diagnostic fee. If the diagnosis reveals a warranty repair, the fee is waived. Your best bet is to search here for any problems. Power steering, sliding door handles, if it's a common issue, we have a thread or 2 (or 20 because newbies don't search) on it. That way you can go into a dealer armed with what it is and in some cases, a copy of Honda's own service bulletin.

  16. #15
    Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,767
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

    UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

  17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements
     

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone change Rack and pinion for power steering fluid leak?
    By paulyim in forum 1999 - 2004 Odyssey
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-15-2010, 05:46 PM
  2. What does your dealer charge for an oil change?
    By gatornut in forum 2005 - 2010 Odyssey
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-19-2006, 02:32 PM
  3. oil dripping after dealer oil change
    By taxman in forum Problems and Concerns
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-28-2004, 10:26 AM
  4. Dealer ATF change procedure
    By back2earth in forum Periodic Maintenance
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 05-10-2003, 09:07 PM
  5. Oil use in dealer change
    By dgamer in forum Periodic Maintenance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-11-2003, 12:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2