Best time to drive through the LA Freeway System?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best time to drive through the LA Freeway System?

Best time to drive through the LA Freeway System?

I'll be taking the kids to Disneyland/Universal next week on our 1 month old Ody RES and it has been almost 2 years since I drove to LA (been flying lately). We are planning to leave the Bay Area on Thursday morning and drive back on Monday. What's the best time to travel (6-7 hours from Bay Area to LA) and beat the freeway traffic in LA? Also planning to drive from Anaheim to Universal on Saturday. Appreciate any responses. Thanks.

Sorry guys, wrong forum.
    Last edited by wadab; 07-23-2003 at 03:14 PM.
    -------------------
    Wadab
    2003 Ody EX-L RES Sage Brush Pearl (added cargo tray, and cross bars to the roof railings)
    2002 Accord EX-L V6 Silver Mettallic (12,000 Miles)
    1990 Mazda P/U w/Extra Cab 2200 Stick Shift (165,000 Miles). Except for the brakes and shocks, everything is original.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

From my past experience, the best times to drive around Southern California is any time between 9 am to 11 am and 1 pm to 3 pm during weekdays.

Coming from the Bay Area to LA Area, I would try to get to the Los Angeles area before lunch time. You'll definitely hit heavy traffic between 7 am to 8:30 am due to people driving to work heading towards the LA area.

Hope this helps. Maybe others can also comment. Have a safe trip Wadab.
    Have You Used The Search Function Of The Forums Lately?

Thanks a lot. Really appreciate it.
    -------------------
    Wadab
    2003 Ody EX-L RES Sage Brush Pearl (added cargo tray, and cross bars to the roof railings)
    1990 Mazda P/U w/Extra Cab 2200 Stick Shift (165,000 Miles). Except for the brakes and shocks, everything is original.

If you are coming to LA in Thursday afternoon, coming down from I-5 (against traffic) into LA will be fine. But once you got into LA if you are going down to OC/Disneyland you need to be there before 3-4 PM or else you will be sitting in I-5 with the rest of the LA people.

I am coming to your area first Tuesday of Aug. Coming from Monterey then leaving for Tahoe. Any tips?
    '01 GG EX 87 k miles
    Mud Guard, Wheel Lock, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats, Leather Steerling Wheel Cover, Pioneer 1655 front speakers, 1086 rear speakers, Weathertech Cargo Liner, Lojack, Garmin NUVI 650, New Tranny @ 60K, Engine Mount @ 75K

Originally posted by bjk2001
    If you are coming to LA in Thursday afternoon, coming down from I-5 (against traffic) into LA will be fine. But once you got into LA if you are going down to OC/Disneyland you need to be there before 3-4 PM or else you will be sitting in I-5 with the rest of the LA people.

I am coming to your area first Tuesday of Aug. Coming from Monterey then leaving for Tahoe. Any tips?
    Thanks for the tip. Hopefully I can get my kids to wake up early so we can hit the road by 6:30 AM and be in LA by 2:00 at the latest.

Just hit the City (SF) and the Bay Area after 9:30 AM and before 3:30-4:00 PM and you'll be okay, as long as there no major accidents. Will you be taking Hwy 80 or 50 to Tahoe?
    -------------------
    Wadab

Never - IMO

I do not agree that there is a good time to travel through LA, because just one accident or road work can cause hours of stop and go traffic. But always try to avoid peek traffic times.

But I have always had great luck with driving around down town LA by getting off the I-5 as soon as possible. I get off on the 210E (it is a very easy to miss the exit) and then travel down 605S. The 210 has a car pool lane and I think most or some of the 605 has a car pool lane you can use travelling with the family. (this adds 10-15mi to the trip over staying on I-5). I am also travelling to the Seal Beach area so I never get back on I-5.

BrianB

Originally posted by bjk2001

As Wadab said, go through the Bay Area about that time and you'll be OK.

If you're going from Monterey to Tahoe without stopping in the bay area, best bet would be to take 101 North then get on 680 North. That will take you to 80 East by Fairfield. If you think you'll get to the 80/680 interchange past 4:00pm (BAD backup!!), best bet would be to take 780 West right after the Benicia Bridge which will take you to 80 East. If you have Fastrak, bring it along as the bridges use it and can definitely save you time.

For traffic reports, KCBS 740 AM has traffic reports every 10 minutes at X:08, X:18, X:28, etc every hour. Also 511 on your cell phone might be activated already which is suppose to give up to date traffic reports. Here's the website: 511 Website
    Last edited by KartRacer; 07-25-2003 at 05:38 PM.
    Honda - A racing company that happens to build cars!
    03 Ody - Redrock Pearl
    85CRX - 300K miles
    96 Integra-GSR
    98 CRG Heron-Honda CR80 (ShifterKart)

Re: Never - IMO

Originally posted by BrianB
    I do not agree that there is a good time to travel through LA, because just one accident or road work can cause hours of stop and go traffic. But always try to avoid peek traffic times.

But I have always had great luck with driving around down town LA by getting off the I-5 as soon as possible. I get off on the 210E (it is a very easy to miss the exit) and then travel down 605S. The 210 has a car pool lane and I think most or some of the 605 has a car pool lane you can use travelling with the family. (this adds 10-15mi to the trip over staying on I-5). I am also travelling to the Seal Beach area so I never get back on I-5.

BrianB
    BrianB,

thanks for the info. i've never driven through 210 or the 605 before but it's interesting to note that Mapquest gave me the 210/605 route to Disneyland but Yahoo! Maps just gave me the straight 1-5 directions. So if it's easy to miss, where exactly is the exit for 210? Is it right after the Valencia are? Can you give me landmarks to watch for so I won't miss it. Thanks.
    -------------------
    Wadab

Originally posted by KartRacer
    As Wadab said, go through the Bay Area about that time and you'll be OK.

If you're going from Monterey to Tahoe without stopping in the bay area, best bet would be to take 101 North then get on 680 North. That will take you to 80 East by Fairfield. If you think you'll get to the 80/680 interchange past 4:00pm (BAD backup!!), best bet would be to take 780 West right after the Benicia Bridge which will take you to 80 East. If you have Fastrak, bring it along as the bridges use it and can definitely save you time.

For traffic reports, KCBS 740 AM has traffic reports every 10 minutes at X:08, X:18, X:28, etc every hour. Also 511 on your cell phone might be activated already which is suppose to give up to date traffic reports. Here's the website: 511 Website
    Thanks! We are leaving Monterey on Tuesday not sure which route wherever Stanford is located, I don't have map with me now. We will stay at SF on Tuesday night then leave on Wednesday go thru Oakland visit Hershey chocalate factory, Berkeley then arrive at South Tahoe. We were planning to spend 2 night at SF but hotel will charge $38 each night for parking on top of room fee so we change schedule just stay one night. We plan to hit the tourist spot like Fishermen Wharf on Tuesday before check in hotel after checkin We will leave the ody and just take cable car. If we have time we will hit Golden gate bridge on Tuesday or else will be on Wednesday morning schedule.
    '01 GG EX 87 k miles
    Mud Guard, Wheel Lock, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats, Leather Steerling Wheel Cover, Pioneer 1655 front speakers, 1086 rear speakers, Weathertech Cargo Liner, Lojack, Garmin NUVI 650, New Tranny @ 60K, Engine Mount @ 75K

Re: Re: Never - IMO

Originally posted by wadab
    BrianB,

thanks for the info. i've never driven through 210 or the 605 before but it's interesting to note that Mapquest gave me the 210/605 route to Disneyland but Yahoo! Maps just gave me the straight 1-5 directions. So if it's easy to miss, where exactly is the exit for 210? Is it right after the Valencia are? Can you give me landmarks to watch for so I won't miss it. Thanks.
    If you come down thru I-5 there are signs on the freeway to Pasadena which will be 210. Its at 14, I-5 and 210 split you won't miss it. Keep in mind 210 traffic is good before you hit the Pasadena area. Since 210 is connected to I-15 now, 210 east bound traffic is getting worse in the afternoon too. Especially late afternoon even carpool line is slow.
    '01 GG EX 87 k miles

Yeah Wadab, BJK2001 suggestion to take the 210E is probably the way to go. That my typical route to get back home and to go up north. You can avoid alot of traffic. Well, have a safe and wonderful trip.
    Have You Used The Search Function Of The Forums Lately?

Just want to let you guys know that we had a very safe trip to/from LA and really enjoyed the ride in our Ody. The RES was just perfect for the kids. This is the first time I've never heard them ask the famous question "Are we there yet?" The Ody handled the freeway very smoothly and negotiated the Grapevine almost strain-lessly even with the A/C on the whole time (disregarded the posted warning re turning AC off when climbing uphill).

But the traffic was another story. Although we hit the LA city limits (1-5) around 2:30 PM, it still took us over an hour to get to Anaheim. It was stop and go all the way to Downey and Norwalk. Even our Saturday drive from Anaheim to Universal was slow. I guess there's just a hair-line difference between weekday and weekend commute in LA. Fortunately the hardworking AC of the Ody kept us cool from the very muggy weather that few days in SoCal.
    -------------------
    Wadab

Originally posted by wadab
    Just want to let you guys know that we had a very safe trip to/from LA and really enjoyed the ride in our Ody. The RES was just perfect for the kids. This is the first time I've never heard them ask the famous question "Are we there yet?" The Ody handled the freeway very smoothly and negotiated the Grapevine almost strain-lessly even with the A/C on the whole time (disregarded the posted warning re turning AC off when climbing uphill).

But the traffic was another story. Although we hit the LA city limits (1-5) around 2:30 PM, it still took us over an hour to get to Anaheim. It was stop and go all the way to Downey and Norwalk. Even our Saturday drive from Anaheim to Universal was slow. I guess there's just a hair-line difference between weekday and weekend commute in LA. Fortunately the hardworking AC of the Ody kept us cool from the very muggy weather that few days in SoCal.
    Glad to hear you have a nice and safe trip from LA. We just got back from our No Cal vacation. SF traffic wasn't bad compared with LA traffic it was a piece of cake. Just the street scared us especially when we have to stop @ stpp sign on a slope lucky Ody didn't roll back at all.
    '01 GG EX 87 k miles

15. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements